Have you ever loved a handgun that you thought you'd hate?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The Glock 19 was the opposite for me. I had, and loved a Glock 23, so the 19 seemed like a perfect fit. So much so that I bought two of them. But, after a couple of years, I just could not warm up to the 19 and ended up selling them both. I do keep a 9mm barrel for my G23, so I can test the waters from time to time to see if I've changed towards the 19.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    For me the J frame was the gun I never thought I'd like
    but bought in my quest for most useful CCW. I'm so hooked on
    it now I am lusting after a 686pc and a 327pc.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's probably no contest what gun fits that description for the greatest numbers of people, although you'll have to go clear back to the late 1980s and early 1990s: Glock 17
    Not only did people not like the way that it looked, but it was believed that it would be poor quality, unreliable, and unable to handle the rigors of personal carry, much less riding in cops' duty holster, much less in military applications.
    The worm has turned in a major way all these years since.

So I guess I'm not alone in thinking that I should give one a try? I wasn't so enamored with my M&P so part of me thinks why try the G17? They are similar. But then again, maybe the timing of getting the 1911 9mm was the reason I didn't pick up the M&P again.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I don't use love and pistols in the same sentence but when Glock introduced the 41 and 42 I was sure I would be thrilled with the 41 and had NO interest in the 42. I had a 41 for about 2 weeks and sold it, no excitement at all there but after shooting a 42 decided that it was a great little pistol if you have a need for a 380. I'm learning, getting it in my hand and putting a few rounds down range is the only way for me to tell if it suits me.
    For those of you that complain about the Glock trigger I will guarantee you with a little TLC it can be the best striker fired pistol trigger, bar none.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer- CertifiedM&P armorer[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    So I guess I'm not alone in thinking that I should give one a try? I wasn't so enamored with my M&P so part of me thinks why try the G17? They are similar. But then again, maybe the timing of getting the 1911 9mm was the reason I didn't pick up the M&P again.

I know I'm showing my limited experience with a wide variety of guns when I say that, while I've held a Glock 19 in my hand, I've never fired a Glock 17 or any other Glock of any sort.
    To be honest, I didn't like the feel of the G19 that I handled, even though I have very large hands, but I found that the M&P felt just right.
    Also really liked the PX4, so if I were ever to get another auto (not foreseeing it), it would probably be either the M&P or PX4.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Ruger Mark series.

Classic design and look, but just never fit my hand. Owned a Mark 1 a while ago, but bought it cause it was cheap, 99% condition, original box, etc. Never shot it and later sold it to fund another project.

Buckmarks just fit me so much better

Still not into Glocks. Most don't fit right and I'm just not that thrilled about striker fired pistols

I liked my M&P but it was one of those things where it felt okay, no matter which backstrap was on it, but it never felt perfect.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Before I got into guns, I've never liked the Glock and now I carry them almost exclusively. I have other guns but I trust Glock when I carry.

Same with ARs. I grew up with the whole ARs or at least the M16 was a gun that jams easy and bought into how early media portrayed it compared to the more "manly" AK series. Then I grew up and learned a thing or 2.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County

This guy ^^^ gets a prize! Very much the same story for me. I swore I'd never own a revolver. They were old-school technology, low capacity, too heavy, nothing but old relics that only old guys wearing suspenders would own. Then I shot my younger brother's S&W 66-5 police trade-in. Now I have more revolvers than semi-autos, have carried a Model 640 daily for the past couple of years... I could absolutely go to shooting noting but revolvers, and live a perfectly happy life.

Although, as someone upthread stated, more often than not it's been the reverse, where I bought something I was totally enamored with having at the time, but didn't enjoy the experience as much as I thought I would.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well, I stopped by U.S. Defense Sports today on my way home from a business trip and handled the G17 again. I have decided that I don't think I would be happy with it.

I did however spend some time looking over the Walther PPQ M2 in 9mm. I really liked it. This is one I haven't considered because:
    A. No one seems to admit to owning one.
    B. They aren't mainstream.
    C I think they are uglier than a Glock.

Those are not valid reasons for me to pass on it though. It has a sweet trigger out of the box and good sights also. I could literally get a holster and some extra mags and just start shooting it. Plus it felt good in my hand.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This guy ^^^ gets a prize! Very much the same story for me. I swore I'd never own a revolver. They were old-school technology, low capacity, too heavy, nothing but old relics that only old guys wearing suspenders would own.

What do you have against suspenders? :cool:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    What do you have against suspenders? :cool:

Hahh! Absolutely NOTHING, especially if they have S&W wheel guns they want to sell me on the cheap! I exercised a great deal of restraint last night when I saw those two pre-lock 66 revolvers magically appear in the classifieds. I just picked up a very nice 19-5 from another member recently, or I'd have been all over that 2.5".

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Growing up, I absolutely hated DA revolvers. Thought they were ugly and didn't like the DA trigger. Wow how times (and a bit of maturity) changes things. I absolutely love everything about the old wood and steel S&W revolvers now. Wish I had the money to buy all I find.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I know I'm showing my limited experience with a wide variety of guns when I say that, while I've held a Glock 19 in my hand, I've never fired a Glock 17 or any other Glock of any sort.
    To be honest, I didn't like the feel of the G19 that I handled, even though I have very large hands, but I found that the M&P felt just right.
    Also really liked the PX4, so if I were ever to get another auto (not foreseeing it), it would probably be either the M&P or PX4.

I'm with you on the M&P. I also like the PX4, the XD and XDm but hate the feel of the Glock 19 and the 17 is meh for me at best. Which, getting back to the theme of the thread, is why I'm surprised I love the G20 & 21.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

OOoooooo, I do love me some .327 action.
    I bought a Taurus snubby .327 when they first came out.
    Loved it so much I bought a Ruger SP101 in the same flavor, but with a 4.2" barrel.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I really enjoy my PX4 that I only bought after recommendation from a crafty gun shop owner. I wanted a cz p09 and still do but this px4 grows on me every time I go to the range.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Started handgun shooting with a J Frame M36(S&W), and a Colt 1911A1. Moved to a new house, sold both for appliances. LOL. Still have the appliances, and after saving some $, bought a G23. Ammo was a little hard to find, so began reloading. Never really liked the plastic G23.

Traded for a Ber 92FS. Had that for a while. Also carried for a P/T Armed Security Job. Had some extra cash, so bought a S&W 686. Really liked that Revolver!
    Had an offer to sell the B92FS, bought a 5906 S&W. 3rd Gen S&W were hot then. Got hired at a PD, they carried revolvers. (686, 66, 19 all accepted)

Carried the 686 till PD authorized G21. Sold off the 686, went full out G21. Even sold 5906. Bought a 442 Centennial, still have. No issues with either.
    Probably shuffled through 20 handguns till settling on those 2 models. Budget only allowed one or two owned at a time.

A Retired PD Officer now, I added a G19 about 14 yrs ago. It is a keeper, former NYPD owned. Done buying any more handguns.

Probably need some new appliances again. Will keep a Glock for CCW. G21 or G19. Both work well. (442 is the Wifeys favorite. It stays)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Started handgun shooting with a J Frame M36(S&W), and a Colt 1911A1. Moved to a new house, sold both for appliances. LOL. Still have the appliances, and after saving some $, bought a G23. Ammo was a little hard to find, so began reloading. Never really liked the plastic G23.

Traded for a Ber 92FS. Had that for a while. Also carried for a P/T Armed Security Job. Had some extra cash, so bought a S&W 686. Really liked that Revolver!
    Had an offer to sell the B92FS, bought a 5906 S&W. 3rd Gen S&W were hot then. Got hired at a PD, they carried revolvers. (686, 66, 19 all accepted)

Carried the 686 till PD authorized G21. Sold off the 686, went full out G21. Even sold 5906. Bought a 442 Centennial, still have. No issues with either.
    Probably shuffled through 20 handguns till settling on those 2 models. Budget only allowed one or two owned at a time.

A Retired PD Officer now, I added a G19 about 14 yrs ago. It is a keeper, former NYPD owned. Done buying any more handguns.

Probably need some new appliances again. Will keep a Glock for CCW. G21 or G19. Both work well. (442 is the Wifeys favorite. It stays)

Sounds like you have had a nice range of handgun ownership. I had a 586 years ago and sold it. I am still kicking myself for selling it. It is the one "more" handgun that I would purchase if I can find one again. I'd take a 686 too.

Top Bottom