• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Have you ever had a gun pointed at you?

• Total voters

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Not exactly - got the verbal threat "I've got a gun and I'm going to kill you" but I never saw a gun. I was renting a short term lease efficiency apt when I first moved to Indy. I didn't have a phone, so I had to sit in the company car and use the car phone (good old days). Some of the druggies down the hall decided I must be a narc and tried to scare me off by threatening me. Not too bright - if I was a narc they'd be hauled in or worse for the threat.

I didn't carry then, I do now.

BTW, Turtle Creek Apartments suck. just sayin'

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    what scares me more...is that the majority of these yes answers are scenarios where citizens (majority are generally law abiding) are being sighted in on by a LEO....

Cool Hand Luke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I was a (young and dumb) kid, about 13, me and a buddy were walking down east 10th street and threw a couple snowballs at a yellow work van that was driving down the road.

The guy slammed on the brakes, turned on to a side street and started chasing us. We ran through alleys and hopped peoples fences and finally got back to my buddies house.

10 minutes later the yellow van pulls up in his driveway, and a man walks up to the house, kicks in the door and puts a gun to my neck. It turns out he knew my buddys sister and recognized him so he knew where he lived.

I never threw snowballs at cars again.

Once held at gunpoint by IPD (when they were still IPD), not gonna elaborate on that one.

And once robbed at gunpoint in the alley behind Linwood Square. I was 16.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    what scares me more...is that the majority of these yes answers are scenarios where citizens (majority are generally law abiding) are being sighted in on by a LEO....

Im not sure if it's the more scary or the less scary actually.
    At least the majority of people pointing guns at citizens are not criminals.
    I rather have a gun pointed at me by a LEO than by a criminal on drug that will shoot me for no reason.Of course I would rather not having a gun pointed at me at all in the first place.
    But I understand that LEOs, in many situations, have no idea if they are dealing with a law abiding citizen or with a armed criminal who already shot at the police in the past.
    And until they found out who you are and what you are doing I understand that they sometimes need to point a gun at you.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    I rather have a gun pointed at me by a LEO than by a criminal on drug that will shoot me for no reason.Of course I would rather not having a gun pointed at me at all in the first place.
    But I understand that LEOs, in many situations, have no idea if they are dealing with a law abiding citizen or with a armed criminal who already shot at the police in the past.
    And until they found out who you are and what you are doing I understand that they sometimes need to point a gun at you.

I was taught at a young age you never point a gun at anything you dont intend to kill and I still obey this rule today. I expect an officer of the law to do the same.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

yes, but the problem is ...at what point should they take that stance....I mean, if they take it early on in a confrontation then you are disrespectfully treating a law abiding citizen like a criminal (in a sense disregarding their rights..the whole "innocent until PROVEN guilty thing)......too late, and the officer may be forced to react defensively to an actual criminal attack.....I think the LEO's should consider the situation a little more than many do rather than perceiving every little toothpick as a threat or seemingly an excuse to use their weapon....i.e. a kid with a paint ball gun...have you EVER seen a paintball gun look AT ALL like an actual weapon, indicating a real threat.......OR a shotgun laying in the back seat on a vehicle with no passenger is hardly perceived as a threat when you can blatantly SEE the driver and the weapon and his time to grab the weapon and maneuver it in order to be able to aim it at the officer would be more than adequate time for said officer to react appropriately...rather than "jumping the gun"..so to speak

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I was taught at a young age you never point a gun at anything you dont intend to kill and I still obey this rule today. I expect an officer of the law to do the same.

Well said...and this has always been a rule in every safety or firearms training I've been through....even the old state ran firearms classes.....sorry, but if I turn around and see a muzzle aimed at me, I'm taking cover and drawing as well....if that happens to be an officer then he just instigated a dangerous situation

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I was once drawn on by a LEO. It scared the fire out of me.

When my kids were young, I sometimes had dinner with them, did baths & bedtime stories, and then went back to the office to work. Back at work, someone saw me through the window of my office building, normally empty during that hour. They called me in as a burglar. I was walking through a dark hallway on my way to a vending machine when I rounded a corner and faced the LEO with a drawn gun. I showed my ID and all was well. It took awhile for me to stop the pounding in my chest though.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    yes, but the problem is ...at what point should they take that stance....I mean, if they take it early on in a confrontation then you are disrespectfully treating a law abiding citizen like a criminal (in a sense disregarding their rights..the whole "innocent until PROVEN guilty thing)......too late, and the officer may be forced to react defensively to an actual criminal attack.....I think the LEO's should consider the situation a little more than many do rather than perceiving every little toothpick as a threat or seemingly an excuse to use their weapon....i.e. a kid with a paint ball gun...have you EVER seen a paintball gun look AT ALL like an actual weapon, indicating a real threat.......OR a shotgun laying in the back seat on a vehicle with no passenger is hardly perceived as a threat when you can blatantly SEE the driver and the weapon and his time to grab the weapon and maneuver it in order to be able to aim it at the officer would be more than adequate time for said officer to react appropriately...rather than "jumping the gun"..so to speak

I understand what you're saying but I dont have the answer.
    I just know that if no LEO would ever point a gun at anyone because that person may be an innocent law abiding citizen then we would have more officers getting killed each years on the line of duty.
    Sure I dont want a gun pointed at me for no reason when im not a threat in any way for the officer.But at the same time I know it takes very little time to draw a gun and shoot someone.
    A criminal could easily draw a hidden weapon and shoot at a cop if the cop was not already pointing his gun right at this criminal.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I understand what you're saying but I dont have the answer.
    I just know that if no LEO would ever point a gun at anyone because that person may be an innocent law abiding citizen then we would have more officers getting killed each years on the line of duty.
    Sure I dont want a gun pointed at me for no reason when im not a threat in any way for the officer.But at the same time I know it takes very little time to draw a gun and shoot someone.
    A criminal could easily draw a hidden weapon and shoot at a cop if the cop was not already pointing his gun right at this criminal.

no argument there.....I simply feel that many need to learn/practice a little better "situational judgement"...rather than always assuming everyone's a criminal

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Yes.

921a432f1a1ff6dffcaa709ff9d442a0.jpg

PurpleHeart.jpg

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Yes.

I was sitting with a new girlfriend on her front porch when I noticed a pickup truck with a gun rack (long gun included) in the rear window pass in front of her place for the third time in a span of about five minutes. I asked her if she knew the driver and she said "oh, that's just my ex boyfriend"...ok. Made the decision to leave before he had a chance to pass by again. As I was headed to the interstate (I-10 in northern Florida just west of Jacksonville) I see his pickup about a two blocks behind me coming up fast...then a flash, a cracking noise, and an almost instantanious thud against the back of my TR-4A. Thankfully I was just to the interstate on ramp and once I made the turn had the Triumph speedo pegged all the way back to the exit for NAS Cecil Field. Got back to the barracks and found a hole (.22) in size through the license plate and lead incrusted dent in my truck.

Never went back to that little redneck town and never saw that chick again.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    unfortunatly yes.

several times at the range by idiots that do not understand muzzle control! Sure sucks actually seeing the ammo in the cylinder of a revolver with the hammer back! :xmad:

And ran convenience stores for over 5 years. Had more than one bad situation during that time including being shot at.

Top Bottom