• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Last year I had a close call...It was 2-3am and our Lab/Dalmation mix was going nuts, he never barked as violently before and my fiance woke me up frantically telling me to "go check". Yes, I was scared, the type of scared you get after watching a scary movie and having to go pee upstairs and the lights are off. So I grabbed my PT92, racked it, flipped the safety off and headed downstairs. Checked the bedrooms, checked all the doors/windows. Meanwhile he was still going at it by the sliding glass door that goes from the kitchen to the fenced backyard, I could see that the gate was still shut and locked. I flipped on the light outside, slung the door open, there was my fiance's sister. Stumbling around drunk trying to get their dog in the house. They live in the other half of the duplex.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    ...with a real possibility of it being used?

Or have you actually had to use it?

I'd love to hear about your stories here...

(if you've drawn your gun at a range and actually used it while you were there, heres your lol in advance)

Drawn it with the possibility of using it more times than I can count.

Used it once.

All on-duty as a LEO, never as a citizen.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Never drawn mine as a civilian, but many many times as an LEO. Luckily I've not had to use it yet.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I would never draw my gun( if I owned such an object of terror) . I would allow myself to be victimized in any way the wayward, misunderstood morally inhibeted person or persons chose too. I am sure the joy of succeeding in their choosen path would foster the self esteem required to reach all of their life goals. or I could rip the Obama sticker from over my eyes and perform the social work only the zen of the high cap mag can. :) sorry I just had too.

grumpe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    whiteland
    I have drawn my gun once. I am a real estate broker and part of my job is to repo houses. It was downtown Indy, in a very bad area. I had to go inside and do my job-I heard some people in there so I went in a bit further without being seen or heard-turns out to be an old crack house and 3 guys were in there, big guys. I drew my gun and told them what I was doing. I think I startled them and was able to get "one up on them" being a female with a gun. They gave me a line of bull and I said "ok" we would come back later. (I was alone) I backed out of there gun pointed at the floor at that time. Got in my car, called the professionals. IPD was there in about 10 min. Pretty fast response for a non 911 call. IPD checked the house out, I went in and did my job and got the he** out of there! I did appreciate the fast response of IPD. :yesway:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    i have had an interesting life, had to draw several times.. almost all of them ended with cops showing up & i went home with my gun.

closest i came to shooting a person was an attempted hot break in of my house and the guy rushed me from the shadows, but he frozen when i yelled stop or i shoot.

I had to fire against a dog pack attack. that ended with a dead dog & instructions from sheriff to get bait and finish off the pack with a rifle.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Nope. Unzipped my jacket and let a trespasser get a glimpse of it once when I caught him "running deer down the fencerow." a hundred yards into my dad's woods and he acted as though he was going to rack his shotgun upon finally seeing me. I have no idea why my already ready shotgun didn't register with him... just glad we walked off in our separate ways. That's been a few years ago. Haven't seen him since.

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    DOES THIS COUNT?
    SWbodyguard.jpg

SW36.jpg

SW19.jpg

SW640.jpg

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't have my liscence yet but many times working downtown I know I would have at least had my hand on it.

Some idiot in my neighborhood fires off a round every few month's near my house..... I almost grabed it the last time I he or she did it... pretty stupid considering how many cop's that live in that area..........

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I notice a few members stating that they drew their gun but did not point it. They just kept it down as a warning. IMO, if I felt threatened enough to draw, the BG is staying in my sights untill the threat is over. I don't understand the logic of drawing and just holding the gun to your side. A premature draw perhaps?...:dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I notice a few members stating that they drew their gun but did not point it. They just kept it down as a warning. IMO, if I felt threatened enough to draw, the BG is staying in my sights untill the threat is over. I don't understand the logic of drawing and just holding the gun to your side. A premature draw perhaps?...:dunno:

Or an advanced state of readiness. Makes particular sense if the other person can't see it, but you are really concerned. Save yourself the time to draw, and the risk of fumbling the draw under stress.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008

If you notice, officers will draw their gun prior to a situation just so that it's at a ready. In the military it's the same way. You hold your gun at a ready without actually pointing it when you expect danger but it isn't imminent. It's just preparedness.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Or an advanced state of readiness. Makes particular sense if the other person can't see it, but you are really concerned. Save yourself the time to draw, and the risk of fumbling the draw under stress.

I see what you mean in that situation, especially if the person can't see it. Say for instance a BG is breaking into your garage, I definitely wouldn't wait till he made eye contact with me to have my firearm in hand. But at the same time, once I saw him, I would have my sights locked on before I announced my presence.

If you notice, officers will draw their gun prior to a situation just so that it's at a ready. In the military it's the same way. You hold your gun at a ready without actually pointing it when you expect danger but it isn't imminent. It's just preparedness.

True, however, citizens aren't afforded the same "rights to draw" as LEO, and especially not Military. In the Military, you are not just defending yourself, you are also on the offense, and drawing your gun is your job. I can agree with Joe that if I am "sneaking" up on a BG or see a potential deadly threat that doesn't notice me or my weapon, then early readiness is a good idea.

In a confrontation that is FTF or immediate, if my gun comes out, it's going straight to aim point. That's about as prepared as you can be after drawing.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    First time: I was 16 and two of my brothers caught a couple of drunk guys smashing mailboxes. They spotted and chased my younger brother 1/4 mile down the road to some woods while my older brother ran 1/10 mile back to the house for help. Dad drove down there in his truck, I grabbed my 20 ga and ran after (being a track athlete, I covered the 1/4 mile in under a minute). I arrived just as dad was confronting their 'leader' who drew his arm/bat back to swing the bat at dad. He saw me out of the corner of his eye and stopped with his arm/bat in the air and asked dad if his son always carried a shotgun. Dad's reply was, "Do you always carry a softball bat?" The guy looked back at me, then lowered his arm and headed back toward his truck and told his friends, "Let's go!" My younger brother played basketball with them a few nights later and they didn't even recognize him.

While living in Indy 12 years ago...I was stopped at a light on Fall Creek Parkway and 75th street when a BG got out of his car and came back and started beating on the top of my Ranger p/u truck. It was night, so it was dark inside my truck and unbeknownst to him, I had my avatar (SP101) in my right hand and was watching him to see if his hands went under his coat or into a pocket and I kept thinking 'This guy is stupid...he's arguing with a guy who's holding a gun.' I finally pulled it up and told him it was time to leave...NOW! He simply stopped, walked back to his car, got in and left (the light was already green). I never knew who he was or what triggered his actions???? I thank the Lord I did not have to use the gun!

I've had it 'out' in preparedness fashion a couple of other times...but never had to show it. I try to stay away from known places / people where I might have to draw or use it...I have a family to think about.

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    drawn

I've drawn quite a few times & shot...... then the deer dropped or the rabbit twitched.:D

All reality, I have never had to; nor even felt threatened enough to even think about it. Hope it never has to come to that.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    True, however, citizens aren't afforded the same "rights to draw" as LEO, and especially not Military. In the Military, you are not just defending yourself, you are also on the offense, and drawing your gun is your job. I can agree with Joe that if I am "sneaking" up on a BG or see a potential deadly threat that doesn't notice me or my weapon, then early readiness is a good idea.

In a confrontation that is FTF or immediate, if my gun comes out, it's going straight to aim point. That's about as prepared as you can be after drawing.

That's mostly what I meant, that they'll draw when they are getting into a situation.

Personally, I'm not going to worry about my 'right to draw' if I feel truly threatened. Judged by 12, as they say.

Top Bottom