• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It would depend on what the cops were told. Here you likely have the security guard calling 911 and then dispatchers advising the cops. The officer could be getting information two or three people removed. I think the officers would definitely have RAS for a Terry frisk, but if they didn't find anything, no further reason to investigate. If the officer felt a gun in the pat down of outer garments, then they could clearly ask for LTCH.

If that is the case, just add another 0 to the check.

I've heard of these things, and I'm kinda surprised the legal departments are OKing these. My guess is that with all large entities, there is likely mixed messages. The lawyers likely think the devices only prohibit entry, but don't confine the person, or that the programing is supposed to be set to prohibit entry only. After the first few lawsuits, you can bet instructions will be made much clearer.

They're probably rolling the dice and playing the odds that if there ever was a law suit they would just pay out of court. Beancounters...

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Make sure if you get locked in one that you call 911 first and report that you are being held against your will.
    I would also do that
    :+1:

Now im glad chase just puts the tellers behind the glass with a 2 door box for handling items. You can be in and out quickly. I bet I would set this thing off with my shoes as I have metal cleats on them for biking and my backpack which contains biking equipment would also set it off.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    PNC near the airport (IND) recently installed one of these. Without a doubt the surrounding area is less than stellar and it's rare I even use that branch but I have walked through and set it off and they still let me in. There are no signs on the door other than them asking that you remove sunglasses, hoods, or hats before entering and I believe that sign is on every PNC branch.

bartb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    I dropped 5/3 a while back. This is just another reason reason to drop them. They never got my address right (I'm glad the mail carrier was smarter than 5/3), they would constantly tell me one thing then mean another. They're too big, I much prefer a local bank or credit union.

gunsrfun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    I left fifth third a long time ago. the man trap is scary. they have the man trap at the branch near 38th and college, and it disturbed me even before I started carrying. i left them for reasons separate from their anti2a stance, but it does remind me that i made the correct choice.
    I installed that man trap along with a few others for fifth third. They justified installing them so they didn't have to pay off duty officers to watch them. It's all about the money.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    So what if you have kids? Do they make you leave them outside since it's one at a time? If you set off the alarm and they lock you in and your kids are left outside, or inside. What then?

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    hrm

Yeh, I'd leave that bank in a heartbeat. Question one would be, is this criminal confinement, I mean by that, are they illegally confining you if you're breaking no laws? Second question is, I was pretty sure there was case law that made it so that banks could not refuse you access to their facilities since ownership of an account with them constituted a financial contract and part of that contract is providing you access to your funds. I recall reading a very long article on this where the bank lost and the police department was sued for forcibly removing a man from a bank where he had an account.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeh, I'd leave that bank in a heartbeat. Question one would be, is this criminal confinement, I mean by that, are they illegally confining you if you're breaking no laws? Second question is, I was pretty sure there was case law that made it so that banks could not refuse you access to their facilities since ownership of an account with them constituted a financial contract and part of that contract is providing you access to your funds. I recall reading a very long article on this where the bank lost and the police department was sued for forcibly removing a man from a bank where he had an account.
    I think both of these issues have already been brought up earlier in the thread.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, if enough people leave the bank, they might rethink it.
    Also, if everyone carries metal, and constantly sets the detector off, they'll ignore it.
    And the cops will charge them fines if they are constantly called.
    And as Titanium Frost mentioned, what about a panic attack induced by claustrophobia. I've encountered many people with claustrophobia. The panic is pretty much guaranteed.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Well, if enough people leave the bank, they might rethink it.
    Also, if everyone carries metal, and constantly sets the detector off, they'll ignore it.
    And the cops will charge them fines if they are constantly called.
    And as Titanium Frost mentioned, what about a panic attack induced by claustrophobia. I've encountered many people with claustrophobia. The panic is pretty much guaranteed.
    Every member of INGO combined couldn't equal the money that a few of 5/3rds large corporate customers have on deposit or have borrowed. Boycott all you want but don't expect much in the way of results. Now if enough small business owners who are passionate about gun rights raise he** that might do some good.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Every member of INGO combined couldn't equal the money that a few of 5/3rds large corporate customers have on deposit or have borrowed. Boycott all you want but don't expect much in the way of results. Now if enough small business owners who are passionate about gun rights raise he** that might do some good.

Probably true.
    But, the option about bringing metal in to set the detector off?
    Now the bank has inconvienced everyone there. And when it happens a few times? Now non-gun owners are leaving.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Wow, this is shocking! Criminal confinement. What if it took the police 20 minutes to arrive? Were they going to hold you in there the whole time?

A simple bullet proof glass surrounding the tellers seems more cost-effective and reasonable. I mean those check cashing businesses have been using that setup for many years in the absolute worst neighborhoods (that's their target demographic area).

Top Bottom