• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    just wondering if anyone has actually called in squirrels or if its just easier and less effort to go into the woods and sit there under a nest and wait for one to come down.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I hate to think about calling them in,,, I concerned about the regulation changing next year that you can only shoot male squirrels.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I’ve used a call on squirrels but the best I can do is make them start looking for me. Some times I can get one to show itself but I can’t remember ever getting one to come towards me enough to make a difference.

Bucky

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My hunting buddy's squirrel call seems to be hit or miss. Generally it's only effective in getting them to bark back and we can sort of locate their general area that way. The closest we've come to "calling one in" was one whose bark seemed to be getting progressively closer to us, but we never saw him.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I've got a bark call that is very good at getting an initial locate. It's also good for getting them to show themselves after you shoot the first one. The ones in the distance will bark back and the ones closer will usually shake their tails.

All in all, I like the call and have had good success with it. They aren't going to walk up and look at you, but they do reveal themselves.

joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    If you really want to have some fun, hunt with dogs, I don't think you can here in Indiana. I don't know actually, but in TN we could when we lived there. Little feist dogs, if I spelled their names right. I don't know, it was a blast though.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I have.

But as a previous poster said, it's sort of hit or miss.

Make a loose fist and make wet kissing sounds into it. Sounds like a squirrel cutting nuts. Works as well as, if not better than, the commercial calls.

Josh <><

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have clicked two small rocks together in the past to get their attention. It seems to work part of the time.

I had hunting cats at one time...LOL At one time we was over run with piney squirrels. They got into a lot of the buildings and caused a lot of damage. I started taking the pellet gun out in the evenings and shooting them to try and get them under control.

I had a couple cats that would follow me around all the time like a couple of dogs. When I started shooting the pineys I would let the cats have them. I only got a couple a evening.

Got to the point that when the cats would see me come out with the pellet gun they would run in front of me and start watching the trees alone the creek. I would just wait until they spotted one and kind of "went on point". I would look up in the same direction and soon would see one. Then shoot it. Worked out great. Took most of the late summer and fall to bring them under control. Now just every couple three years have to thin them out again.

The cats are both gone, sure do miss my hunting buddies...LOL

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    The cats are both gone, sure do miss my hunting buddies...LOL
    Tell me you didn't shoot the cats after you ran out of the piney's.lol

Sorry if they went to the big sandbox in the sky but I had to jest.

More than likely...
    Like most cats once you were no longer amusing them, they had no use for you.

Can you tell I am bitter because the kitten that stole my heart dumped me for my dogs as her running mates?lol

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    No, they both passed a few years back. The one big tom would follow me everywhere every time I was outside. The little female would sometimes if she was around, but the big tom was always by my side if I was outside. The big tom is buried next to the creek under the trees he liked to hunt under. The little female just did not come back one day.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Huh? I haven't heard about this. Source?

BTW, is it really even possible to tell the sex of a squirrel? I've just always gone into the woods and shot any squirrel I saw.
    :)::):

Well you go up, grab the tree,,, shake the tree real hard, and listen to hear if the n**s rattle of the male squirrel.

Sorry,:)::):
    But I've been waitin all day :)::):

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    ...shake the tree real hard, and listen...

That’s been proven to be an unacceptable method of determining the legal size as outlined in the hunting regulation guide. I would say if you’re going to hunt squirrels, it’s up to the individual hunter to make sure he stays legal.

[FONT=&quot]Let us know how that goes. [/FONT]

Bucky :):

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    That’s been proven to be an unacceptable method of determining the legal size as outlined in the hunting regulation guide. I would say if you’re going to hunt squirrels, it’s up to the individual hunter to make sure he stays legal.

[FONT=&quot]Let us know how that goes. [/FONT]

Bucky :):

It works if you count the seconds between rattles. Over two seconds is a mature enough male to harvest.:):

Top Bottom