INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Unionize McDonalds - - What could go wrong? :dunno:

Drive to Unionize Fast-Food Workers Opens in N.Y. - NYTimes.com

After three years of working at the McDonald’s restaurant on 51st Street and Broadway, Alterique Hall earns $8 an hour — and is yearning for something better.
    Linda Archer earns $8 an hour after three years as a cashier at the McDonald’s on 42nd Street in Times Square. “I feel I deserve $15,” she said.
    So when he heard about an unusual campaign that aims to unionize dozens of fast-food restaurants in New York in the hope of raising wages to $15 an hour, Mr. Hall, 23, was quick to sign on.
    “It’s time for a change,” he said, “It’s time to put on the gloves.”

$15 per hour to work at McDonalds?
    Unions will demand benefits as well, making the actual hourly wage about $30.00 per hour.
    Where do I sign up? That would be a sweet gig.

How much do we have to raise the price of a cheeseburger to cover this?

:dunno:

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN

Unions will demand benefits as well, making the actual hourly wage about $30.00 per hour.

There is a couple of things that can come from this. Fat.. I mean Fast food would go away. Hey we may end up with something like in Demolition Man and only have Taco Bells! :)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, Ms. Archer. Do you feel like you even deserve a job, then?

That would price McD's out of the game. No way they could afford those wages.

Stupid never learns, I suppose.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    reading through the comments you get statements like "just cut the CEOs wages" etc..

Truly mind boggling. No sense of reality

At least Indiana is a right to work state - so you want $15 /hr to flip a burger - good luck in your job search.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    "I worked 3 years at a job that people could probably train a monkey to do. Clearly I deserve $15 an hour!"

Mcdonalds makes X dollars per hour of your work. If you want $15 an hour do a job that earns your company enough money to make you worth keeping at that wage.

Jakob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If they're paying 15 bucks an hour at McDonalds for mundane work, I might consider leaving my salary! When are people going to realize that they make what society values their services at?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    reading through the comments you get statements like "just cut the CEOs wages" etc..

Truly mind boggling. No sense of reality

At least Indiana is a right to work state - so you want $15 /hr to flip a burger - good luck in your job search.

I'm pretty sure McDonalds is a franchise business.
    Funny thing is, McDonalds corp won't be selling many franchise rights
    if crap like this goes through.

Who would buy into a business like that with automatic overhead to that degree?
    I know!! UNCLE SAM!
    I guess we can put a new McDonalds in every government office and subsidize the union workers.
    :yesway:
    Big cheeseburger is too big to fail.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    This is New York City we're talking about. They probably already have $10 Big Macs. I wonder how much not being able to sell big drinks cut into profits.

Probably didn't hurt McDonald's much at all. Many locations charge $1.00 no matter the size of the drink. It probably actually reduced costs slightly as they don't have to stock/distribute as many product variations of their cups now.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I'm not sure I'd want to live in NYC if I were getting paid $300/hr.

I'm sure Bloomberg will be all up for this...Maybe get more money for the "working man" while raising the price of fast food to keep 'em from getting so fat.

Um....except that if McDonald's becomes too expensive....then won't there be less need for high paid employees......? Oh well, I'm sure they've got it all figured out.:laugh:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Unions had their place, now they are nothing but an arm of the left...all the janitors are now unionized..they still only make 8 bucks and hour...are no longer eligible for state sponsored medical insurance for their children, They have to pay for their medical insurance and they now have to pay union dues. Be careful what you wish for. The unions are going to unionize everything they can. I am sure you all heard about the home child care providers in MI, who were unionized against their will.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    How has the Republican party managed to persuade their followers to abhor labor and embrace Wall Street? How many more billions do Dimon and his buddies need to heist before Republicans redirect their outrage? How many more companies need to be looted by equity firms and shipped to Mexico before Republicans wake up? How many more LIBOR scandals? In my estimation, it need be soon. There is a perceived War on Labor brewing. Just look at the knee-jerk reaction around anytime someone utters the word union and the shrinking middle class. Personally, I think the nation dodged a bullet when Romney lost the election. We need to pump the brakes on the neo-liberal, supply side style for a few cycles before we become a complete rentier economy.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom