• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    No they do not understand! What's even more interesting is that when idiots think they deserve $15 per hour...they are always talking about themselves...with no concern for the customer, management, their fellow worker's, etc...only themselves!

It's also why they are still working in an entry-level position at McDonald's after 3 years!

McDonald's is a great starter position (for teens and college-age students) as well as for retirees who want to keep working a bit! We have a McD's near us and their morning shift is all retirees...it's a fun place to visit for breakfast on occassion!
    It is a great starter job for people getting started in the workforce but long term, not so good. There's just no room for advancement.
    After 3 yrs. of hard work and dedicated service and no increase, that's greed, selfish and bonuses for management because everyone thinks they deserve more. It's human nature.;)
    Not to worry though, with the new oc, they'll have that much more control over workers because, making billions just isn't enough.

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If they're paying 15 bucks an hour at McDonalds for mundane work, I might consider leaving my salary! When are people going to realize that they make what society values their services at?

North Dakota oil boom towns are advertising $12 and $13 an hour jobs at Burger King...they can't find anyone to hire.

McDonalds can hire in NYC for $8 because the labor pool for that kind of unskilled work is deep and wide.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    While $15/hr is a bit more than the job's worth, the $8/hr isn't really on par with what wages in that area should be. I would have figured they'd be in the 9-10 range there, given the cost of living. Those are the same wages you can pull down around here, with a considerably lower cost of living. McD's is making out like a bandit on their end.

No, the free market is at work here and the labor pool will fill the jobs for $8 an hour....keep in mind that's after 3 years of working there. They probably start at minimum wage, which is what, something like $7.25 an hour? So this job is worth $8 an hour or less, regardless of the local COL because they will have no problems finding workers for this unskilled job at that rate.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    About 35 years ago I worked at a local Steak n Shake. I was a curb hop. I got paid $2.05 and hour which was minimum wage for tipped employees. I worked there for four years and if you got a nickle raise once a year, that was normal and it was because the min wage went up. If you got a dime, that was really great, that showed real employee appreciation, a 20 cent raise was almost unheard of and I only knew ONE person to get 25 cents and she was sleeping with the store manager. <grin> Now if you jumped from employee to a manager slot you'd jump maybe 50-70 cents an hour, and get to work about 60 hours a week...you would be filthy rich in no time at that rate. Some store managers were rumored to be making upwards of $10 an hour!! Imagine all the extra cash you'd have then!

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    When making millions becomes so boring and is no longer enough to occupy your time, dabble with control.
    When neither of those is no longer enough, what's left? Complete insanity?:dunno:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I made $7.25 at Wendys in high school nealrrly 15 years ago, Id be wanting more than $8 living in NYC now lol. Unionising is a bit much, but man they arent making squat innthat city. You cant afford to live there making $200k let alone $15k.

This is why, under an actual free market, these folks wouldn't be living where they are. They would be forced to move somewhere they could afford, and the wages would stabilize to something more reasonable as the labor pool shrinks.

McDonalds is certainly capitalizing on the situation, but I can't say that I blame them. They are paying what the market dictates, even if that market is nowhere near 'free'.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    It is a great starter job for people getting started in the workforce but long term, not so good. There's just no room for advancement.
    After 3 yrs. of hard work and dedicated service and no increase, that's greed, selfish and bonuses for management because everyone thinks they deserve more. It's human nature.;)
    Not to worry though, with the new oc, they'll have that much more control over workers because, making billions just isn't enough.

The logic that because I work for someone for 3 years I deserve a pay raise is ridiculous. Pay is not offered because a businessman somewhere suddenly realized people need to eat: it is offered because money is the reason why I will wake up at X time, drive to work, make money for your company, and go home happy. Thus, higher pay is not offered to counteract higher cost of living, it is offered to acquire/keep employees of a certain level of skill and competency.

Clearly McDonalds is able to keep its restaurant well supplied with employees at $8 an hour: why on earth would they raise wages?

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    If the person quoted in the OP is "yearning for something better," perhaps they should get trained in a skilled trade, or go back to school. McDonald's jobs are not meant to support a family.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    The logic that because I work for someone for 3 years I deserve a pay raise is ridiculous. Pay is not offered because a businessman somewhere suddenly realized people need to eat: it is offered because money is the reason why I will wake up at X time, drive to work, make money for your company, and go home happy. Thus, higher pay is not offered to counteract higher cost of living, it is offered to acquire/keep employees of a certain level of skill and competency.

Clearly McDonalds is able to keep its restaurant well supplied with employees at $8 an hour: why on earth would they raise wages?
    Money and resposibility is the reason why I worked everyday to.
    I'm not in agreement with $15 an hour for that type of job but I'm sure in those 3 yrs. with the increase in poulation, demands for faster pace work and/ or more burgers, there is cleary no excuse to ask for raises in profitable times.:rolleyes:
    We all think alike in some instances. For example: More demand= more money.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    My favorite part of tea-party conservatism is the success its architects have had in convincing its proletarian members to identify with the interests of the bourgeoisie. :laugh:

snob1.gif

I hear you brother.......... I hate bologna as well. :noway:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    My favorite part of tea-party conservatism is the success its architects have had in convincing its proletarian members to identify with the interests of the bourgeoisie. :laugh:

It is quite amazing. Just read some of the things being said in this thread. It is almost as if they believe "it can never happen to me" or don't realize that they are next.

Wait until those 401Ks are more steadily in their sights.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Money and resposibility is the reason why I worked everyday to.
    I'm not in agreement with $15 an hour for that type of job but I'm sure in those 3 yrs. with the increase in poulation, demands for faster pace work and/ or more burgers, there is cleary no excuse to ask for raises in profitable times.:rolleyes:
    We all think alike in some instances. For example: More demand= more money.

These people are not asking for a raise. They are wanting to unionize to strongarm a company into giving them disastrous wages. If some idiot truly believes that Mcdonalds can afford to pay them $15 an hour for the work they do...well, there may be a reason they're working at McDonalds for 3 years.

Again, why should Mcdonalds raise wages because the work becomes harder, more demanding, or any other factor. Wages are purely (particularly in a minimum wage, minimum skill job) a means to get butts in chairs, nothing more. You deserve what you are willing to accept for your time invested, nothing more, nothing less. Asking your boss to put you in for a raise owing to factors such as improvement of productivity etc is a perfectly acceptable thing: threatening to unionize is not.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    No, the free market is at work here and the labor pool will fill the jobs for $8 an hour....keep in mind that's after 3 years of working there. They probably start at minimum wage, which is what, something like $7.25 an hour? So this job is worth $8 an hour or less, regardless of the local COL because they will have no problems finding workers for this unskilled job at that rate.
    Nope. The free market is not at work. Minimum wage laws are. McD's in IL have to pay $8/hr. In Great Britain the employees make over $9/hr. In other places with higher minimum wage laws they make more. McD's hasn't gone out of business in those areas so obviously they CAN afford it, even if it wasn't artificially high by government interference in the labour market. It speaks volumes that McD's actually pay slightly higher than MW in most markets, because they can. They could easily afford to pay these NYC people a bit more and avoid the unionisation threats.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    These people are not asking for a raise. They are wanting to unionize to strongarm a company into giving them disastrous wages. If some idiot truly believes that Mcdonalds can afford to pay them $15 an hour for the work they do...well, there may be a reason they're working at McDonalds for 3 years.

Again, why should Mcdonalds raise wages because the work becomes harder, more demanding, or any other factor. Wages are purely (particularly in a minimum wage, minimum skill job) a means to get butts in chairs, nothing more. You deserve what you are willing to accept for your time invested, nothing more, nothing less. Asking your boss to put you in for a raise owing to factors such as improvement of productivity etc is a perfectly acceptable thing: threatening to unionize is not.
    I guess I'm just baseing that on the principal that when a company profits, they share with the workers. There are companies that do. McD's probably just isn't that generous.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It is quite amazing. Just read some of the things being said in this thread. It is almost as if they believe "it can never happen to me" or don't realize that they are next.

Wait until those 401Ks are more steadily in their sights.

They won't stop there. There's all of a sudden renewed interest in taxing "wealth". Your 401k's are just bits in some database somewhere and are a keystroke away of being confiscated. Then they'll come after your pensions; then they'll tax you on your other possessions (wealth). The takers are not going to do with less...not when there's "unfairly" obtained wealth languishing out there.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Where?

Where are these gold mine jobs? 80% of the work force in the US is paid hourly. BLS estimates that 70% of job growth in the next decade will be in service sector, low wage jobs. Serving burgers or stocking shelves. Screaming, get more skills, go to school, or suck it up isn't going to produce the results demanded.

Wal-Mart and McDonald’s: What’s wrong with U.S. employment - Salon.com

What are you suggesting? The government step in and force companies treat their employees fairly?

Labor simply doesn't have the leverage to demand and expect wages that are outside "market" rates. There's too much competition. For us skilled and/or professional workers, we're starting to see similar softening in wage expectations. To demand and receive higher wages, without .gov interference, the worker must possess resources that are in limited supply.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    They won't stop there. There's all of a sudden renewed interest in taxing "wealth". Your 401k's are just bits in some database somewhere and are a keystroke away of being confiscated. Then they'll come after your pensions; then they'll tax you on your other possessions (wealth). The takers are not going to do with less...not when there's "unfairly" obtained wealth languishing out there.

Exactly. Capital must be fed to sustain the myth of perpetual expansion. Labor is tapped. You have your they wrong, I am afraid. Oh yeah, pension are being raided as we speak. That is the easiest for capital to seize.

Last edited:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO

Don't get me wrong here RoS, but out of curiosity, how would it work out if all the employees could collect welfare and work to. Unless they lowered the income level on that to.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom