• ...and so much more!
  • indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I'm taking a trip to Florida in February and will be taking a revolver with me. I know the laws, I've read the TSA regs, and I'm familiar with the airline's (AirTran) rules. So I understand it has to be in checked luggage, in a locked box, inspected at the time of check in, blah blah blah...

My question is... have any of you INGOers ever flown with a handgun? If so, was it a huge hassle at the airport, or a smooth process?

Thanks in advance for any hints or feedback.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

willie69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    the first time i flew was in oct. of 2001 and you know what happened the previous month it was a huge hassle since then i've flowned several times and it was pretty smooth good luck

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I've done it several times. It has never been a big hassle, last time though they did make me check in at a point beyond normal security to inspect my luggage, declare ownership, etc. I usually show up a bit earlier than usual as the extra time is needed to make sure that your checked bag gets on you plane after you confirm it.

Best,

Joe

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I flew to California a couple years ago for my job. The biggist issue I had was after I checked in at Indy. I was waiting at the gate after I went through security and I got called back to take the battery out of the forearm of my MP 5. I guess it made them nervious. Also when I returned never had an issue with it til INDY but you know how they are "suppose" to check your baggage tag at the baggage office before picking up your firearms. Well good ole INDY let them come flying down the belt with the rest of the bags. Funny but frustraiting!

good luck

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Gone from Cali (San Diego) and back with multiple hand guns and a long gun once, no problems at all. Just check with the security booth once you clear customs so if there is a problem you can address it right then without them having to run you down.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Do NOT do it. You'd be better off sending it to your intended destination, and picking it up there. I don't know if they still do this, but carriers used to mark your bag with orange tape that said firearm on it. I traveled one year to Florida, with my old Glock, and as I was sitting on the tarmac, I see a baggage handler pick up what looked like my bag (with the orange tape), open the bag, close it, and walk away.... I was going nutso in the cabin, telling the stewardess and pointing out the window "that guy has my bag, and my gun!" They told me to calm down, and that it was probably someone else's bag that looked like mine, that couldn't make the flight.....
    ......well, I ended up in Florida minus a bag and a glock. I've heard this story from other people too. Baggage handlers don't appear to be the most noble bunch. That's just my two cents.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When I fly (usually to Texas) I always take firearms with me. Usually two to three trips a year.

I've never had an orange sticker on my gun cases (pistol or long guns) but have heard about it from others.

I advise:

1. check your range bag for loose ammo! Flying to Dallas in 2006 TSA found loose rounds in the bottom of my range bag (checked baggage), under the bottom lining. They street fined me two folding knives (one was a prized gift knife from my boss from my days at Galyan's, a nice [deent] Gerber) and a box of Black Hills .45acp.

2. Insist that TSA inspect your guns while you are there. Last year I was told TSA was "on break" and could not inspect my pistols. While I was waiting TSA grabbed my Pelican case and ran them back to the secured area where I was not allowed to go.

I raised a stink, but gave them the key to the Pelican. Don't let them do this to you.

3. Invest in a good case (I prefer Pelican).

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The orange tag HAS to go inside the gun case. If the airline counter monkey tells you otherwise immediately ask to see their supervisor. I used to fly with guns a lot and the only problems I ever encountered were from stupid airline employees who do not know their own rules. And every airline is different. Go the the airline website and print out their current regs on declaring a firearm and CARRY IT WITH YOU. Buy a good padlock to put on the guncase. DO NOT use a TSA lock. Only you are allowed to have the key. If TSA or anyone else wants to open the case they MUST get you to provide the key and do it in your presence. Do not give the key to some clown and let him walk away. If the clowns at the airport knew the laws and their company rules there would not be any problems. One other tip - when you approach the ticket counter to check in and declare the firearm be sure the counter monkey does not assume that you are a cop. This has happened to me multiple times. Sometimes they will ask you to open the case at the ticket counter so they can look and see that it is unloaded. Most of the airlines will not do this because they can't tell the difference between a loaded firearm and an unloaded firearm (seriously). Some ticket agents will actually faint if they see a firearm. (seriously) I usually break the gun down into a couple of pieces if possible. Ammunition must be in factory packaging or plastic cartridge boxes like reloaders use. Different airlines have different amounts on how much ammo (weight) you may pack. MAKE SURE you know the laws regarding firearms possession in every city, county and state you will pass through. People have been charged and jailed for possession in cities like New York when their flight was stuck on the ground for weather delays and they had to go to a hotel and found cops waiting for them when they returned to the airport.(seriously) It's usually a smooth hasslefree process but there are a lot of idiots with badges out there these days.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just to clarify, TSA ran off with my guns while I was awaiting TSA to inspect them to show clear. They grabbed them so I could not be present while they inspected them.

It was my fault, I set the case down on the counter to wait for the TSA agent and forgot about TSA's bait and switch tactics and another agent ran in and ran off with the guns.

Ensure they inspect them in front of you. Although considering the fact that TSA stole two knives and a box of ammo in front of me and the Indy Airport Cops, I do not see why they would not be so brazen again.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Print the rules from your airline, and have them in the case with the unloaded firearm. It's so easy it's boring. Have a good flight.

StarbaseSSD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Clarksville IN
    I fly semi-regularly from SDF through DFW to either COS or DEN and back with handguns. No issues, except occasional TSA not having me there when they inspect. They get huffy, but they call me to the inspection room and I watch. I do NOT use TSA locks on my Pelican-type case. I do NOT hand them the keys. Never had any issues with arrivals even when I missed a transfer, they made sure the bag was on my changed flight.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I do NOT use TSA locks on my Pelican-type case. I do NOT hand them the keys.
    Good point, I forgot about the locks. I use my own, and the keys do not leave my person. I give the whole shee-bang a few wraps of gorilla tape, so it's a sticky-****ty mess to try and tamper with too.

Top Bottom