• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Untrue. Not sure where you got that from. We get them all the time, and TSA in Indianapolis recommends them. Some of the newer pelican style gun cases even have TSA locks built into them. Can you guess who I work for? Here's some more info:
    TSA: Traveling with Special Items

Again, I am not saying that I agree with these policies. I am just providing the info...

Did you read the link you provided? It includes:

"The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you."

CFR Title 49 Part 1540.111(c)(2)(iv) states "The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination".
    TSA locks obviously do not meet that requirement.

Luggage tags have been prohibited by the Brady Bill for around 16 years now.

SEC. 302. PREVENTION OF THEFT OF FIREARMS.
    (a) COMMON CARRIERS- Section 922(e) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following: `No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

Additionally:

----- Original Message -----
    To: OnTheFly
    Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 1:48 PM
    Subject: Re: TSA Contact Us: Passenger and Traveler Information

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the misinformation in our last response.

Passengers should not use TSA-recognized locks to secure firearm cases. Regulations state that the passenger must be the only one who retains the key or combination to open the case. TSA-recognized locks on firearm cases do not meet this requirement.
    If TSA needs to open the case, the passenger must open it. In addition, TSA does not recommend or endorse any specific brand or type of lock to use on firearm containers.

For more information about traveling with firearms, visit our website at TSA | Transportation Security Administration | U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I just checked Southwest, American and United's web sites.
    Southwest parrots the TSA website, American says TSA lock are ok, United just says locked.
    Personally, I'd go with what the CFR says and use a personal lock, especially with all the publicity about how good the TSA's information and practices have been.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    If you use TSA locks, you're in violation.

And if you think the TSA in Ft Wayne opened your locks, took your knife, and then re-installed your locks, have someone else look in your bag, you're probably just getting old. :yesway: (i tried to find a link to the story, it's a good one)

Glock19Dude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I took my handgun with me from the Indy airport to Phoenix, AZ. There was no hassle in Indy but going from Phoenix there was a little more involved. When I checked my bags I declared I had a firearm, filled out the form and then they called for an employee to take my bag and myself to the x-ray machine outside the terminal. The TSA people scanned it, everything was OK and they sent me on my way. I had the TSA locks on the bag and they never asked me to open anything. No problems at all.

If it matters I flew Southwest Airlines.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    TSA locked firearms are accepted at the Indianapolis airport, that is a fact. I see it done and do it myself every day.

Doesn't make it legal.

The website should have been updated a long time ago and is out of date, or the TSA management at IND is wrong.

Perish the thought, TSA being wrong?????

I was mentioning the firearm luggage tag because another poster was concerned about it being on the outside of the bag, which is no longer the case.

It does matter in a prosecution. "They told me I could" is not sufficient. The CFR noted is the current regulation.

Again, many of the newer firearms cases have built in TSA locks, and again, at least at the Indianapolis airport, they are fully acceptable to TSA. My previous post about the firearm check-in procedure at IND is factual as it stands at the Indianapolis Airport at this time. Perhaps they need to change the policy, or perhaps the national policy has changed. Also, the e-mail you site is over 2 years old. Policies like this have changed frequently. I am not trying to start an argument here, nor am I agreeing with it, I am just providing info as to how it works at the Indianapolis Airport. If you fly out anytime soon, you can see for yourself. Use TSA locks or use another kind. It doesn't matter either way. At least at IND.

This may all be true, but you acted as though it was crazy to suggest that TSA locks were not permitted. Some other new reg may permit TSA locks, but I'd like a source because I can't find it.

Flyfishtrip

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Westfield
    Follow their rules and more importantly keep your attitude in check. You never know what kind of person you're going to have to deal with. You may be right, but they can make big problems for you if you give them an attitude.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well, as you can see from reading this thread the biggest problem is most probably going to be a TSA agent who "knows" the rules. Or will tell you that the rules have been changed. Or they'll just make one up. And no matter what you just printed off of the TSA website, he is right and you're wrong. "Hey man, has anybody seen the new updated rulebook? I know we got one around here somewheres." And then we get into the Indianapolis Airport Authority"s "Ordinance" regarding the prohibition of any weapons being brought into the airport (posted at every entrance). "Sure, you can check it into the baggage hold and we can inspect it but you can't bring it into the airport." :n00b:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    TSA locked firearms are accepted at the Indianapolis airport, that is a fact.

--Break--

Use TSA locks or use another kind. It doesn't matter either way. At least at IND. :)

No. Do not use TSA locks under any circumstance. One, it is in violation and gives just about any TSA agent making $12 an hour the ability to open your supposedly secure case. Two, it is in violation. Period. Just because Indy does it does not make it correct, and what the heck are you going to do if the airport you return from does not allow it?

I have not flown with a firearm at this point. I most certainly will be the next time I fly. I have heard from many people that it is painless. It is actually pretty common practice in the photography community to stick a gun (even a flare gun) in the same bag as your gear. It allows you to be present when they "screen" your bag, so you can make sure they arent stealing an $1800 lens out of your bag. I have talked with people who have used this method for just about anything of value, large amounts of video games, coins, etc. Just make sure you have a copy of the regulations, and have your firearm properly secured in the bag.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    When I traveled out of IND a couple of years ago (first time I'd traveled with a handgun), the TSA agent there insisted, regardless of TSA, airline, or any other rules that I could either give him the combination to my lockbox or "you can have the bag back" (his words), obviously meaning that it would not go on the plane, and since I was in the position of time being short and I had taken a shuttle rather than my car, I had no other place to put the pistol. He took the information of my combo back into a secure area where I could not go and then came back about 5 minutes later to tell me that all was well. I got his name, I filed a complaint, and never got told anything had come of it, but the problem has not recurred.

Of note, I would have no issue TSA-locking my bag, but my gun case will always be a secure lock. I also will never again either use the shuttle or arrive at the airport with less than two hours before my flight if I'm traveling with my pistol in my bag.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    indianapolis
    good info to know ... as of yet I have not flown with my glock, but I'll definitely be more aware of what is going on when and if I decide to bring it along with me!

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Thanks again for all the responses. The trip was easy and flying with a revolver turned out to be a piece of cake. It took maybe an extra 5 minutes total. Just had to show it was unloaded, lock it up in a hard box, and check it. Then once through security I had to hang out with the TSA manager for about 5 minutes to make sure the baggage scanners didn't have any trouble (and they didn't). It was easy, and not a hassle at all.

Top Bottom