• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Hey there.

I've mostly shot handguns at ranges and friends' houses and have sort of a feel for what I like. I definitely LOVE revolvers and I'm not a big fan of the Beretta 9mm.

That doesn't mean I have a hatred for semi-autos, I just seem to shoot better with revolvers. So, no bias, just some getting used to.

That being said...

I'd like to look into getting a couple handguns. One for conceal carry, preferably in a caliber that'd be enough to take down a violent meth head.

Also, I'd like something for open carry, that I could take to my buddy's property and shoot. He's got some land, so a few of us get together every week or so to practice shooting.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I've found the S&W Model 60 is a fun revolver to shoot, and it allows for your choice of .357 mag or .38 special.

CCing a Glock 26 is pretty easy to do, and can use the larger 15, 17, and 33rd magazines. I've also been eyeing a Ruger LCR, but haven't shot one yet.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You have so many options! If you feel more comfortable with a revolver, then by all means, carry one (or two). There are various J-Frame revolvers that are great concealed carry pieces. Have you looked into the S&W Bodyguard .38? I don't have experience with them, and do not care for polymer revolvers. To each his own. It sounds right up your alley. When I carry a revolver open, I carry my Ruger New Vaquero. It's a large cowboy action gun. It loads a mite slow, but I trust it. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I would just like to say, that if you are shooting at a meth head you better disable the CNS. Seems like they go into hulk mode and take more shots than a zombie :)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I would just like to say, that if you are shooting at a meth head you better disable the CNS. Seems like they go into hulk mode and take more shots than a zombie :)

I dont want to get into the beat the dead horse discussion of shot placement over caliber. But I personally wont carry anything less powerful than a 9mm. I usually carry a Glock 22 in .40. As Double T indicated you dont know what you are going to run into out there so try to get every edge you can. If you end up with a revolver why not get a .357 that way you can load half with .38 and half with .357.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    If you like revolvers check out these for CC.

S&W 60
    S&W 640
    Ruger SP101
    S&W 65

If you want to learn an auto, it's hard to beat a good 9MM(cheaper to shoot)

Glock 19 or 26

S&W M&P 9C

Would be in my top picks.

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I use my GP100 in .357 mag for open carry. I really like the trigger, very smooth on the pull, at least for me.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Had a student last week who purchased a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .38 Special. Very well put together revolver and the laser was deadly accurate. Now if they would make one in .357 I would be all in so I could have the best of both worlds.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I have a S&W K frame revolver. Great gun, fun to shoot, accurate as can be and a wonderful trigger. But the trigger is almost dangerous in my opinion.

I also have a S&W 642. I like it for what it is intended for - concealment.

Now I love the Ruger GP100. I had one long ago but I sold it. I am going to be picking one of those up again, probably used, in the near future.

Revolvers are fun...

IMHO - for your first gun I would get a full size semi-auto. It will be fun, you can carry it and it will fit most all of your needs. Then as you refine your tastes more or just want something else to play with, by then you will have a better feel for what you want. But I bet you keep the full size SA too.

good luck.

Top Bottom