• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Ok, this is how much I trust you. I'm going to order a set of these for my Glock 26.

Seems Brownells is sold out right now. I'll wait until they are back in stock, or I'll try to find another place to buy them. But I'm going to give them a shot.
    Here ya go- AmeriGlo Weapon Sights | Special Combinations

GL-433 is what you want. I run these on my G19 and really like them. I think I was the one that kept bugging Evan to try them.:):

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Just placed an order. Thanks.
    I don't think you will regret it. I got glock night sights on mine when I sent it in to have the ejector checked (55 bucks is hard to beat for tritium). I like using the outline of top of the front and rear for sight alignment, the dots aren't as reliable for me (my hits are all over when I focus on the dots alignment for some reason).

These will be my next by for the g26, and a replacement for my 19's whenever I get it back (lent to my stepdad for a security job).

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    .(my hits are all over when I focus on the dots alignment for some reason).

.).

That makes sense. Accuracy is really not what the dots are for. Even if you have dots, if you are going for maximum accuracy you still use the top of the front sight lined up with the top of the rear sight and an equal amount of light on both sides.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That makes sense. Accuracy is really not what the dots are for. Even if you have dots, if you are going for maximum accuracy you still use the top of the front sight lined up with the top of the rear sight and an equal amount of light on both sides.

Yep.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Here is a great video that explains the importance of a good sight Alignment/picture. I'm getting ready to get the Ameriglo front night sight with u-notch plain black rear.
    [video=youtube;k_AbAfZtTpk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_AbAfZtTpk&list=WL1993654B628D8334[/video]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I know :(
    I was thinking a different type of sight would make me focus more on the front.

As of the past year, I've been able to use a red fiber optic front on the dedicated competition gun and the orange ringed Trijicon H3 on the carry gun. IMHO these have worked pretty well through a time with little practice.

The bright color doesn't make me focus on the front sight, but it's faster when I actually get around to doing it. ;)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Went to Bradis and had my new Ameriglo Hackathorns installed on Friday. And then went to my range this afternoon and shot a little bit.

First impressions were favorable. I feel like I was able to pick up that front sight a lot better. It did feel weird not having to see the circles on that rear sight like on my meprolights.

I need to shoot a lot more. Get lots more practice in. I wasn't very happy with accuracy.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Well, I'm hooked.

After shooting for awhile this weekend, I can honestly say that I'm in love with these sights. I will be putting them on my Glock 19 soon.

I was suspended how fast and easy it was to pick up that front sight.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I also vastly prefer the front sight dot with a plain rear sight (no dots). If I do use 3 dot, I prefer the front dot to be a different color. I am partially color blind, and one way it manifests is that its tough to tell exactly where one color stops and one starts. I can pick a red crayon out of a box of green ones, but I can't follow those dot trail mazes if its red on a green background. Red dots fade into many background colors for me, as do some shades of green. White, black, orange, blue, and yellow never fade into anything. If I have a front site that's one of those colors and a rear sight that's another, all is good.

My favorite setups are either a gold/brass button up front with a plain black rear or a orange dot up front with a plain black rear.

Night shooting is like anyone with normal color vision when using tritiums, but I still find it quicker to pick up one glowing front sight through a plain rear.

I *really* like these:

764812.jpg

The rear dots are very unobtrusive during the day, almost invisible, but function great at night.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had my G19 with the big dots out at the range yesterday and do find that I'm faster with the initial shot with those than I am with regular 3 dot sights. What I seem to do with 3 dot sights is to revert to point shooting when doing rapid fire, but I seem less prone to do that with the big dot sights. More practice is needed for me right now, but I'm finding it a whole lot easier to pick up the front sight quickly when it's big and bright.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My experience with "dot the i" sights was with Big Dots. Great sights, very fast. But I found them more difficult at distance due to a lack of visual reference and alignment cues.

Now I'm using Hack sights (like bwframe) and I feel like they offer the best of both worlds. The large orange dot is picked up quickly, day or night, and hits can be obtained with a simple front sight focus. For more precision shots I can then reference the rear sight both vertically and horizontally as necessary.

I'm thinking about some of the 3 dot night sights that don't have the white outlines on the rear tritium vials, like some of the Ameriglo's. I'm hoping it would give me the benefit of a black rear sight like the Hack's during the day, but with illumination in low light (?) I have a set of Ameriglo cap sights on another Glock, and I'm not sure about them in low light as I tend to lose the rear sight, so thinking that maybe the Operators or Spartan Tactical model will overcome this.

I also vastly prefer the front sight dot with a plain rear sight (no dots). If I do use 3 dot, I prefer the front dot to be a different color. I am partially color blind, and one way it manifests is that its tough to tell exactly where one color stops and one starts. I can pick a red crayon out of a box of green ones, but I can't follow those dot trail mazes if its red on a green background. Red dots fade into many background colors for me, as do some shades of green. White, black, orange, blue, and yellow never fade into anything. If I have a front site that's one of those colors and a rear sight that's another, all is good.

My favorite setups are either a gold/brass button up front with a plain black rear or a orange dot up front with a plain black rear.

Night shooting is like anyone with normal color vision when using tritiums, but I still find it quicker to pick up one glowing front sight through a plain rear.

I *really* like these:

764812.jpg

The rear dots are very unobtrusive during the day, almost invisible, but function great at night.

That's similar to what 'm looking at. Hoping it would give me the benefit of a blacked out rear sight during the day, but 3 dot night sights in low light.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Hoping it would give me the benefit of a blacked out rear sight during the day, but 3 dot night sights in low light.

I've currently got the Trijicon HD set (front and rear, shown above) on my loaner M&P and I will say that they are the closest thing to a blacked out rear while still having tritium viles, IME.

therewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    United States
    This is another personal preference deal. I like to prime the front sight, with white fingernail polish or hobby paint, then

paint it with strontium paint, like Glow-On. YMMV

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think I'm going to hold off on buying the Hackathorn sights for my G19. I'd like to try them out in a night class first.

I'd like to try the I-dot pros as well.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I have I-dots (like chezuki's M&P above) on my M&P Shield. After changing out the stock 3 dot sights for the Idots I noticed easier, faster target acquisition. Not having to think about lining up three dots helps my speed and accuracy. I used to not think Hack sights were good, so I didn't get the completely blacked out rear sight in favor of the I dot with one centered dot in the rear. But I am warming up to the concept of the blacked out rear sight and think they would also be useful for gunfights. It would be hard enough to see your front sight in a gunfight let alone line up dots on the rear sight. On my new M&P9 FS I'm going to leave the stock sights until I can afford to upgrade. For the time being I'm considering blacking out the rear dots with a sharpie or putting a small piece of black electrical tape over them if it would stick and stay put.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My experience with "dot the i" sights was with Big Dots. Great sights, very fast. But I found them more difficult at distance due to a lack of visual reference and alignment cues.

Now I'm using Hack sights (like bwframe) and I feel like they offer the best of both worlds. The large orange dot is picked up quickly, day or night, and hits can be obtained with a simple front sight focus. For more precision shots I can then reference the rear sight both vertically and horizontally as necessary.

In low light conditions do you still feel that having nothing on the back sight is fine?

I just got XS Big Dots for my M&P. Didn't do enough looking around before hand. Was thinking that the orange and the big U would be easier for me to pick up. I am done with 3 Dot systems for SD carry. Don't know if the I-Dot Pro would help me in lower light, or if the extra dot will just distract me.

Maybe I should do more drills in low light with the XS to see if no glow on the rear matters as much to this untrained eye.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I have run the i-dot pros for a few years now and really like them they seem to offer the best of both worlds speed and the ability for precision on longer shots. As far as the blacked out rear it works fine for standard 2 hand stance we all practice the most. Where I realized that they failed was when I had to use either a single hand or even off hand shooting where we are not as comfortable in our grip that it comes up with the sights already aligned. With a blacked out rear it was very difficult to find the notch in the rear sight.The dim single rear on the i-dot gives a quick easy reference during those times that it may be needed and is not distracting when it is not needed. Of course your mileage may vary.

Top Bottom