Which is better for battle?
    Is there a sight that's in between?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I've come to realize that "dot the i", or "pumpkin on a post" (like found on SIG factory sights) is faster for me to acquire than the 3 dots; but the three dots are more accurate for me, and easier to find in the dark. My favorite is still a gold dot front with a U-shaped "battle notch" rear. It works for me almost like a "peep" sight, with me naturally centering the gold dot in the half circle.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Front sight only. All you need.

2012-11-23_17-00-15_640.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Front sight only. All you need.

2012-11-23_17-00-15_640.jpg

I have to agree with this. I have I-Dot Pros on my carry M&P, and I can't recall ever using the rear dot. I just put the big orange front sight in the U notch and squeeze.

406237202.jpg

Though I find some comfort in having a rear dot available, I truly never pay any attention to it. Next time I'll probably opt for the Hackthorn sights which are the same without the rear dot. I find either of these options faster and just as precise as three-dot setups.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How does that setup work out for night shooting?

Excellent, it's exactly what one needs. You see the tritium on target, you are good to go. Your good grip puts you where you need to be, just like in the daytime. The front sight does the work, the rear follows.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    That sight shown in the couple of pictures is exactly what I was speaking of with my gold dot front and "battlesight" rear. The U shape rear sight (mine without a dot) centers the front for very quickly.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Excellent, it's exactly what one needs. You see the tritium on target, you are good to go. Your good grip puts you where you need to be, just like in the daytime. The front sight does the work, the rear follows.

I'm intrigued by that setup, but in my way of thinking, having a night sight in the rear would be better at night.

I'd like to try it.

I'd like to get away from the 3-dot setup and try something different.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My experience with "dot the i" sights was with Big Dots. Great sights, very fast. But I found them more difficult at distance due to a lack of visual reference and alignment cues.

Now I'm using Hack sights (like bwframe) and I feel like they offer the best of both worlds. The large orange dot is picked up quickly, day or night, and hits can be obtained with a simple front sight focus. For more precision shots I can then reference the rear sight both vertically and horizontally as necessary.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm intrigued by that setup, but in my way of thinking, having a night sight in the rear would be better at night.

I'd like to try it.

I'd like to get away from the 3-dot setup and try something different.

A lot of folks go with a three dot (or whatever) and use a black Sharpie on the rear dot(s). YMMV, but I have always had good luck removing Sharpie with alcohol.

My gun came with the 10-8 rear, but I had to buy the complete set of Trijicon's to get that front. :xmad: (Anyone in the market for a Trijicon two dot rear? Cheap...)

I have a sight pusher if you need it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Front sight dot with plain black rear. In full disclosure all of my pistols have three dot sights. They are not as fast on target because I find the rear dots distracting. Especially on my 1911 because the rear dots are brighter in the daytime. But I am too stubborn to change them.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well just for grins I pulled out the black sharpie and colored over my rear night sight. It did not eliminate the dots but it does dull them. Plus the tritium still shows through the ink in the dark. I have used the sharpie to color over tjr white U on glock sights but never tried it on three dot night sights before.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    After thinking about it, I think I need to stop blaming it on my sights.

I run the Meprolights, have never used anything else before. And there are times when I find myself wondering if I should line up the 3 round dots, or line up the tops of the sights.

I just need to go out and shoot a crap load and figure out what my problem is.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I just need to go out and shoot a crap load and figure out what my problem is.

Sights won't fix your fundamentals. If you aren't hitting your target during deliberate slow-fire, then it's you. :p

What different sights will change is how quickly your eye can find them, or how well your eye works with them to get them into alignment. Once they're in alignment (any sights), its up to your to keep them that way until the round impacts the target.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Sights won't fix your fundamentals. If you aren't hitting your target during deliberate slow-fire, then it's you. :p

What different sights will change is how quickly your eye can find them, or how well your eye works with them to get them into alignment. Once they're in alignment (any sights), its up to your to keep them that way until the round impacts the target.

I know :(

I was thinking a different type of sight would make me focus more on the front.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I prefer a "dot-the-i" set up over 3 dot. 3 dots is just too much going on for me if I need to shoot quickly. I carry a g23 mostly with Heine Straight 8 sights, although now that they are getting somewhat dim I am thinking of switching over to a Big-Dot, or some kind of sight with just the front sight illuminating. My other main carry gun is a Kahr CM-9, and although they are not illuminated in any way I do find those sights quite easy to pick up.

My Limited gun only has the fiberoptic up front so I am very familiar with that set up. The only thing I worry about is if they will be adequate in low light...probably would be, but I'd still need to verify for myself before going that route on my carry gun.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My experience with "dot the i" sights was with Big Dots. Great sights, very fast. But I found them more difficult at distance due to a lack of visual reference and alignment cues.

Now I'm using Hack sights (like bwframe) and I feel like they offer the best of both worlds. The large orange dot is picked up quickly, day or night, and hits can be obtained with a simple front sight focus. For more precision shots I can then reference the rear sight both vertically and horizontally as necessary.

Ok, this is how much I trust you. I'm going to order a set of these for my Glock 26.

Seems Brownells is sold out right now. I'll wait until they are back in stock, or I'll try to find another place to buy them. But I'm going to give them a shot.

Top Bottom