• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington
    I am in the market to buy my first semi-automatice pistol, and the sole purpose for it is personal protection. I also applied and received my LTCH permit.

I have already test fired the following handguns:

1. Glock -- Model 19 and Model 23
    2. SiG -- P229
    3. Colt -- 1911

So far, aside from some minor preferences, I have had one universal problem. I have long slender hands and fingers (from the base of my wrist to the tip of my index finger is 8", and my index finger from the knuckle to the tip is 4") which has so far made it difficult for me to confortly position my index finger on the trigger.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me for trying out another handgun that could be minimize this problem, and meet my orginal goal of using it only for personal protection? I would love to get some feedback about this issue and maybe get some recommendations for pistols to try out! :)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would suggest the S&W M&P. The ability to add the pad in the rear to make the grip a bit larger may be something that can help you.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . I also applied and received my LTCH permit.
    . . .

Reps for getting your LTCH up front.

In addition to the M&P, you might also take a look at the Glock 30 if you have large-ish hands.

Buying a handgun is like buying a pair of shoes in some ways. It has to fit. A lot of variables in hand geometry. Take your 8" measurement from base to index finger tip for example. Some folks with that measurement will have larger palms and stubbier fingers, while others will have smaller palms and longer fingers. Etc.

Looking around is half the fun.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The Gen 4 Glocks, M&P's, Xdm's, and FN's all come with interchangeable back straps. They are all good guns. Something to look at, and see what better fits your hands. Hope that helps get you going in the right direction.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    The Gen 4 Glocks, M&P's, Xdm's, and FN's all come with interchangeable back straps. They are all good guns. Something to look at, and see what better fits your hands. Hope that helps get you going in the right direction.

HK P30
    Walther/S&W 99
    Ruger SR9
    CZ-USA SP-01
    Beretta PX4

I believe these handguns have interchangeable backstraps as well. :yesway:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    If you like Glocks the .45 and 10mm have a larger frame, also you can get custom grips for most 1911's, also look at the Beretta 92

balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington
    Thank you everyone for the feedback regarding my issue. I will head back to the store to check out these suggestions. I would also like to get a chance to test fire some of them as well.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If you are really going to carry every day, I'd suggest getting the smallest handgun that you can comfortably handle. Some of the suggestions already made fit the bill. You might also try the Keltec, as well as, new Ruger and Taurus compact 9mm pistols. If you end up with something heavy and big, you can bet your boots that you won't carry it every day. When you need it, you won't have it.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    If this handgun is going to be used as a house gun, then you also need to consider whether your wife can comfortably use the gun you choose. You may need to get one handgun for you and another one for her that fits her hands.

Happy hunting! :yesway:

Bucko

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Indy South
    I have large hands and long fingers as well. I have both the XDm 9 and XDm 40 (both in 4.5 version) and with the largest backstrap they fit my hands perfectly.

ccochran3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Clinton
    I agree with BE Mike here, I made that mistake with my first handgun, bought a large frame S&W 9mm and then whatcha know, never carried it because it was uncomfortable. So I went back and bought a Ruger LCP 380 - yes it's about as small caliber as you'd even consider for Personal Protection, but I'm never without it, and any gun is better than no gun when you need it. Then i just keep the 9mm in my car.

You can't choose when you'll need a gun, only if you'll have one.

balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington
    My wife will purchase her own handgun as well for personal protection. She has small hands and can easily handle compact pistols.

If this handgun is going to be used as a house gun, then you also need to consider whether your wife can comfortably use the gun you choose. You may need to get one handgun for you and another one for her that fits her hands.

Happy hunting! :yesway:

matthewdanger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    M&Ps are excellent handguns as are the Gen4 Glocks. If the Glock 19 doesn't work for you, the M&P should be your next option... at least in my opinion.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I am in the market to buy my first semi-automatice pistol, and the sole purpose for it is personal protection. I also applied and received my LTCH permit.

I have already test fired the following handguns:

1. Glock -- Model 19 and Model 23
    2. SiG -- P229
    3. Colt -- 1911

So far, aside from some minor preferences, I have had one universal problem. I have long slender hands and fingers (from the base of my wrist to the tip of my index finger is 8", and my index finger from the knuckle to the tip is 4") which has so far made it difficult for me to confortly position my index finger on the trigger.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me for trying out another handgun that could be minimize this problem, and meet my orginal goal of using it only for personal protection? I would love to get some feedback about this issue and maybe get some recommendations for pistols to try out! :)

You might want to think about getting your hands pruned. :D

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Being someone of the same stature (slender, longer hands/fingers) I have somewhat struggled with this issue as well. The interchangable backstraps have made a world of difference to me. Though I love the 1911 style, it's not something that I would be comfortable carrying all day. There are those who can and do, but it's not what I was in the market for in terms of my daily carry weapon. I carry a M&P40c (which is the compact version of the M&P series) and I love it. Before I bought this one, I went out and put my hands on several different guns and I suggest you do the same. Get a feel for them, shoot them if you can, before you make your purchase. This isn't about pretty, it isn't about what "everyone else is carrying", it's about what feels right to you. It's going to be something that you're going to have on your side every day (if you decide to do so), it's about something that you are trusting with your and your families life should the situation arise. This is a personal choice, and you need to find what fits you the best. While there are many very trustworthy products out there (ie, Glock, M&P, XD's, and many others), this is about what feels right in your hands. I trust the glocks, they just don't feel right in my hands. The M&P does. Get out, fondle them, shoot them if you can, talk to everyone you can about the pro's/con's of each, then become a very happy gun owner after making a well informed decision about your purchase. Good luck and hope this helps.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    i carry 19/7 365, i love my fnp40, but for comfort i like my taurus millenium pro pt145, its a big bang in a small package, it feels good in my big mits, and is easy to tuck away.:twocents:

jp828108

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Clermont
    as suggested, try out the xdm or the m&p and maybe even try changing out the backstraps on them to see if one fits the hand better than the other or something.... i have never asked to change them at a gun shop, but i don't see why they wouldn't let you considering you would be dropping some decent coin at their shop, and if they take care of you you will be likely to come back, because i don't think you will be able to own just one handgun, they are kind of addicting once you start purchasing them.

Top Bottom