• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My girlfriend of 6 years is ready to get a pistol for herself because she is living in a not so great area and wants the added security. She grew up in a family without firearms and has since become comfortable shooting all of my longuns/handguns. She only has experience with my S&W model 10 .38, as well as my EDC M&P9c since those are the only handguns i have.

She enjoys shooting the revolver more but has no problem with my M&P 9mm either.

She is looking in the <400$ price range (non-negotiable) and would rather have a semi-auto because she feels safer with it.

She would really like a handgun with an external safety because again, she would feel much safer having the safety feature. (if she could find one under all the other circumstance)

Initially, i am suggesting to her that she look at 9mm because she has no problem shooting that caliber and it would be nice to be able to share ammo at the range, etc. (its just all-around easier for both of us, but .380 would not be out of the question if it was really the right gun for her)

She likes my M&P Compact but would really like somthing even smaller than that. (small frame-120lbs) It would mainly be a home defense gun but would like the versitility of carrying in her purse.

I'm simply asking for suggestions from others that may have been down this road before. I'm not going to push any guns on her as i want her to pick her own gun out for herself, i'm simply just along the ride for advice. My initial suggestion/thoughts have been the Baretta Nano because i almost purchased it when i was deciding between my CC gun; however, it does not have an external safety option. Thanks for reading through and for any advice suggestions you may have!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I know she would like a safety, but the model 10 has no safety. The trigger pull is the safety. And if she can handle a 9mm, I would recommend a Kahr. The CM9 is very small, and low recoil for it's size.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    The model 10 has no safety but she was only shooting at the range. She would prefer an external safety but the only one i can think of in her price range (except it is .380) is the S&W Bodygaurd. Not a big fan of the .380 but its for her, not me. Does the CM9 have an external safety option?

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Smalls guns are hard to shoot so keep that in mind.

Based on what you asked though, a shield sounds like a good option for her. I believe that you can pick one up right around $400. Doesn't leave any money for a holster or ammo though.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I like my LC9, wish you lived closer I would let you take it to the range for a trail run. With the Crimson laser I payed bout $450. Without the laser your talking high $300's.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Smalls guns are hard to shoot so keep that in mind.

Based on what you asked though, a shield sounds like a good option for her. I believe that you can pick one up right around $400. Doesn't leave any money for a holster or ammo though.

Great suggestion. I forgot that the shield also has the external safety option.

Here is my list of options for her to look at so far:

9mm
    Beretta Nano - $400
    Ruger LC9- $400
    Kel-Tec P11- $300
    Kahr CM9- $400
    S&W Shield -$400 (has external safety)

Kel-Tec P-3AT- $300
    Ruger LCP380 - $300
    Kel-Tec 380 - $300
    S&W Bodygaurd 380 - $400 (has external safety)

Revolver
    Smith and Wesson 642 - .38SPL -$450
    Charter Arms - .38SPL- $400

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    The model 10 has no safety but she was only shooting at the range. She would prefer an external safety but the only one i can think of in her price range (except it is .380) is the S&W Bodygaurd. Not a big fan of the .380 but its for her, not me. Does the CM9 have an external safety option?

Have her shoot a Bodyguard first . Personally I think it it a horrible gun for a lady. It is one of the few guns I absolutely hate to shoot. It bites and is unpleasant to shoot. If you are thinking 380 you might want to try a Ruger LCP.

With that said. Small lightweight guns can bite and be unpleasant to shoot. If she picks up a small compact gun, have her consider a grip sleeve and or magazine extension to help absorb some of this bite. I know a lot of people here hate the LCP but after installing the grip sleeve and magazine extension on mine I think it's a great little gun. I just have the six round mag for it but they now have a 10 round magazine for it if round count is a consideration.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Heavy for a carry gun??HA HA..

^^^Take gungirl65 advise=She has done Her homework--She ALSO shoots a .357 Mag.--Just ask Her..HA HA..

"She likes my M&P Compact but would really like somthing even smaller than that. (small frame-120lbs)"
    ^^^THAT would be a pretty HEAVY gun to carry??-Small frame-120lbs.....Bill.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    M&P9C (w/safety) or M&P Shield if you need smaller. I have big hands, so I don't like the Shield, but it is thinner, since it is a single stack. All Shields come with a safety I think. I prefer the compact because I don't sacrifice one bit of accuracy, and it is just like shooting a full size for me. The Shield is more than sufficient for close up work, though for me it doesn't shoot the same. Of course, I like being able to shoot the eye out of a bad guy at 15y, which is probably more accuracy than necessary, but that is what makes me feel confident I will win if there is an actual gun fight.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Just make sure she actually shoots the weapon prior to purchasing one. Many of these smaller guns look like the perfect CC weapon until you shoot one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Just make sure she actually shoots the weapon prior to purchasing one. Many of these smaller guns look like the perfect CC weapon until you shoot one.

right, thats the only thing that worries me about the .380 round. Most weapons ive shot in that caliber seem to be very snappy and she would not like to even shoot in that case.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    OK, I have to mention this one, Bersa Thunder 380. Where I live, they are $300. Very reliable, accurate for what they are and
    while having recoil, it is not excessive. I have six pistols - revolvers, and it is one of two, that I would not sell. With ammo like it is now,
    380 is only $1.00 more a box than 9MM here.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Whittaker's near Owensboro KY has the Ruger SR9 and SR9c for >$400. Great guns. Great price. External safety, loaded chamber indicator. SR9 holds 17 rounds. SR9c holds 10 or 17.

SR9c was my first gun. I still think it was a great choice. If you are near Evansville, I'd be glad to meet both of you at the range so she could handle/shoot it

Last edited:

JTB4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2013
    United States
    I've been down this road. My wife shot a TON of stuff in 380 and 9mm. It didn't take many 380s for her to cross that caliber off. She shot Glock 19/26, M&P 9c, Kimber SOLO, XDs 9, you name it... She fell in love with the Shield as far as feel, external safety, capacity, ability to conceal. The only thing she didn't care for was the trigger. It was pretty bad for her to be critical of it. Anyway, we bought it and I immediately installed the APEX DCAEK trigger kit and WOW what a difference. Shoots and feels 110% better. If you go the Shield route, I can even recommend a Vera Bradley purse-bag thingy to carry it in. Don't laugh! The patterns on VBs do well in breaking up the print of the gun! OK - you can laugh...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I've been down this road. My wife shot a TON of stuff in 380 and 9mm. It didn't take many 380s for her to cross that caliber off. She shot Glock 19/26, M&P 9c, Kimber SOLO, XDs 9, you name it... She fell in love with the Shield as far as feel, external safety, capacity, ability to conceal. The only thing she didn't care for was the trigger. It was pretty bad for her to be critical of it. Anyway, we bought it and I immediately installed the APEX DCAEK trigger kit and WOW what a difference. Shoots and feels 110% better. If you go the Shield route, I can even recommend a Vera Bradley purse-bag thingy to carry it in. Don't laugh! The patterns on VBs do well in breaking up the print of the gun! OK - you can laugh...

Haha if i would tell her about the Vera Bradley holster she'd probably buy a shield just for the holster:rolleyes: I've heard great things about the shield from almost everyone who has owned one. I plan to take her looking this week at some point so she can have some initial thoughts.

SmokinSigs357... We're both in college so income isn't the greatest. I planned to buy her lifetime LTCH, ammo, holster, etc. I'm sure i'll end up getting a fair share of the hit.

Top Bottom