• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    OK, I have to mention this one, Bersa Thunder 380. Where I live, they are $300. Very reliable, accurate for what they are and
    while having recoil, it is not excessive. I have six pistols - revolvers, and it is one of two, that I would not sell. With ammo like it is now,
    380 is only $1.00 more a box than 9MM here.
    I'm going to have to agree with this suggestion, due to the limited funds issue. I have sold a Kel tech, TCP, and a LCP. All these tiny .380s were very snappy. My favorite was the LCP. I didn't mind the snappy, but none of the ladies liked it. Too bad about the limitations on the funds, because the Sig P238 would be perfect. My wife and I have 3 of them. Recoil is minimal. Easy to shoot accurately. Great sights. Super easy to conceal. My wife is very recoil sensitive, and loves her P238. If you watch gunbroker, you might catch a deal. Too bad about the Kahr. No external safety, but I don't see the need. Good luck finding the right gun.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    My EDC is a Makarov PM. $ 300-350.

For a 9mm, lot's of choices. Turkey is importing some real nice guns these days.
    SCCY CPX1 has a external safety and is a pretty nice little gun.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Have her shoot a Bodyguard first . Personally I think it it a horrible gun for a lady. It is one of the few guns I absolutely hate to shoot. It bites and is unpleasant to shoot. If you are thinking 380 you might want to try a Ruger LCP.

Funny you should say that, as I have an LCP, and encouraged my wife towards one when she was in the market for a tiny .380. She opted for the BG380 over the LCP, saying that it was more comfortable to her. Having both guns in the house to shoot side by side though, I still prefer my LCP, but I cant fault either of them, as they are both pretty near perfect for what they were intended for.

As for a 9mm smallish carry pistol, I can second the Kahrs, my MK9 is excellent, thought the Kahrs do lack an external safety. The only one that springs to mind is the Ruger LC9, as it is small, relatively inexpensive,reliable, and has the features that she is looking for.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    My advice...

Let her decide by trying as many out as you can....

For instance, I'd recommend a Ruger SR9c... which meets all of your criteria, BUT the slide is stiff and hard to rack for most females.

One last thing... if she is going to be an avid shooter and plans to practice all the time, then a semi-auto is great. If not... then make her aware that revolvers might be a good option simply because if it doesn't go bang... you can just pull the trigger again. If a semi-auto doesn't go bang, and you aren't prepared, you are in big trouble.

Looking at your list, if I had to choose one I'd pick the J-frame or Nano... but thats just me.

LuckyLeftFoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My vote goes for the M&P shield! It's a nifty little gun! I don't have one YET but it is on my long wish list. I would try to have her fire it first, I noticed a little bit more felt recoil due to the shorter barrel. The most important thing in my mind is to make sure she chooses what fits her best. I assume you are aware of this, but I figured it was worth mentioning!

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    LC9 would be my suggestion. I have no experience with the SR9 however, it keeps comming up in posts and just the other day while checkout a glock the person helping me commented on how she liked her SR9. Woth looking into.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I wouldn't get hung up on an external safety. A Glock or Nano (or any similar pistol) is absolutely safe in a proper holster and ready without manipulation (other than the trigger) if needed. And off-body carry is not the best choice for anyone. Purses and bags which carry weapons can be snatched or stolen leaving you disarmed and arming a bad guy in the process. My $.02 anyway.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I know people have already said this but have her shoot it before getting it. I'm about the same size and thought I wanted a Ruger LCP and picked one up before shooting - hate it. It's too snappy (GunGirl, thanks for the suggestion on grips. I will try that).
    My EDC ended up being the Shield 9mm because of the external safety. I tried the M&P 9c and liked it but the one I had didn't have an external safety so I moved on to the Shield. If she gets a good belt and holster it's super concealable and comfortable to wear.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Probably said before, but just stop: No micro guns, period. You want her to live right? Then get her a used M&P compact in 9mm or maybe a G26. Nanos, etc... not ideal for an actual fight. Just going to stop there and leave it there...

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    My fiance bought a S&W Bodyguard because she liked it. We got it home and it was a terrible gun for her to shoot. I gave her my bug gun(S&W 642) to shoot and we haven't looked back. She carries it daily now:) Hard to beat a 2" snubbie.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My fiance bought a S&W Bodyguard because she liked it. We got it home and it was a terrible gun for her to shoot. I gave her my bug gun(S&W 642) to shoot and we haven't looked back. She carries it daily now:) Hard to beat a 2" snubbie.

Now you've done it!! Everyone knows that snubbies are only for experts, and men!!

In all seriousness, my wife loves her LCR (again, she just HAD to be different from me) that she picked up after shooting my 442. While not the pistol she is most accurate with, she is accurate enough to be effective, and she carries it. Her personal favorite is a 1911 Government model, but she doesnt like all the extra weight, and finds it difficult to conceal. Everyone will have differing tastes, and opinions, the only one that matters is the end user. The more exposure they get to the different options out there, the more informed choices they can make. My wife has made quite a few choices, both informed, and a few that border on complete impulse, but that just gives her more options when she leaves the house..

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Yesterday we went to Rural King, Gander Mountain, Wabash Valley Armory, and top guns in Terre Haute so she could get an initial idea of what she wanted. At first she really liked the Ruger LC9. She thought the 380's were almost too small since she could not get a good grip on them. Then, we went to Top Guns to look at the option of a small revolver. She picked up the Smith and Wesson 642 Snubby and she has not stopped talking about it since. Looks like we will be going to purchase her first gun this afternoon followed by a trip to the range at Pro-Tec!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    She bought the S&W 642 and we had a successful range trip. The accuracy on that little gun is A LOT better than i expected. I'm more accurate with her little snub nose than i am with my m&p9c. Thanks for all the tips/advice. She loves it!

Top Bottom