• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I am terrible shooting my Ruger at 25 yards. 15 and in I do just fine. I'm probably good enough for most self defense situations but only hitting the target 4 times out of 10 at 25 yards isn't acceptable. Any advice for a newbie on how to improve?

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Hitting what 4 times out of 10 at 25 yards? The 10 ring? The target?

It takes awhile to get used to any handgun. Don't be afraid to take a lesson or have your fundamentals critiqued by a qualified observer. Most handguns today will perform acceptably at 15 yards. If you're getting all of your shots in a paper plate size target at 15, you are good to go. If you are looking toward competition, get instruction from a competition shooter and practice.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A Ruger what?

Are you talking semi-auto or revolver?

I can keep 3" groups at 100 yards with my Super Blackhawk, but it has a 7"+ barrel.

What type of ammo are you using? Some pistols are ammo picky.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    I am terrible shooting my Ruger at 25 yards. 15 and in I do just fine. I'm probably good enough for most self defense situations but only hitting the target 4 times out of 10 at 25 yards isn't acceptable. Any advice for a newbie on how to improve?

It would help to know what type of Ruger you are referring too. Barring that, a shooter's wheel may help you diagnose what you are doing that is causing the errant shots by where they impact the target. Dry fire is always a good idea...I do mine from the holster...might as well get presentation reps in too.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    Finger position, breathing, practice,practice, and practice!!!! Im in Fishers and ran a few ranges when I was Military. PM me and maybe we can get together for some help, training, advice.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It took a long time to soak into my thick head that my grip was messing me up. I finally realized that I do best if I "grip" only with my middle, ring, and little finger. I keep my thumb almost totally off the grip and try to concentrate on keeping my trigger finger "loose", if that makes any sense. You'll find, too, that all guns and all types of ammunition have their own peculiarities. I sometimes think I'd be better off having just one gun!

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Have someone load one or two dummy rounds in a magazine. Or do it yourself, and then spin the cylinder, with a revolver. You'll clearly see any flinch when the dummy fails to fire.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Bore sight laser and snap caps. Pick a point on wall, focus on laser dot, pull trigger. Watch dot move. Practice, watch videos and learn good grip-trigger techniques. If that don't work, get a good quality 1911.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Have someone load one or two dummy rounds in a magazine. Or do it yourself, and then spin the cylinder, with a revolver. You'll clearly see any flinch when the dummy fails to fire.

↑↑↑↑↑↑this↑↑↑↑↑.

You can also use the dummy rounds in a semiauto. It helps if you can have somebody else load your mags for you then you can really find your problem when the dummy round hits. (It is also great for malfunction drills)

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    It's a SR9c. I can hit about anything at 15 yards. I hit the target 4 out of 10 at 25 yards. I know with a compact pistol my accuracy will be limited, but I feel I could do better.

Top Bottom