• ...and so much more!
  • Mechy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Howdy folks,
    I'm deployed at the moment and trying to order up parts for an MA-TEN build. I've got an 18" DPMS barrel at the house already now I'm looking for a handguard to go with it. My issue is that I'm planning to install an adjustable gas block for running suppressed. So I'd like the gas block to stick out past the end of the handguard just a bit, for easy access. Could anyone tell me what length handguard I'd need to get this done? Or do I just need to be patient :( and wait until I get home so I can measure it?
    Thanks

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Whats the length of your gas tube?

And I cringed a little bit, when I read deployed and running a suppressor. Do you already have one or just getting into NFA? If your just getting into, take some advice from an addict, try not blow all your deployment money on NFA coolness. Itll drain you out reeeaall quick.:):

Mechy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    ctbreitwieser, thanks for the advice but deployment is the only reason I have money to blow on NFA coolness :D
    It'll be a process though, I need to get the rifle going first. Then I'll work on the NFA part of it, just trying to plan ahead.
    The gas tube is "mid length" my google-fu is apparently failing me though because I can't seem to find out how many inches are involved in a "mid length" gas tube. But if I find the mid point of an 18" barrel that puts me at 9", so that may be the answer?
    Suspect I'd better just wait and measure it.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I hear ya, that deployment money was just begging to get spent on NFA stuff. I was more than happy to make that happen.

Heres a YHM specter length rail on a midlength with 18" barrel. The specter length rail is right around 9.7". It should be exactly what your looking for. This is the lightweight rail, I prefer the diamond series though. It connects the top rail, the lightweight doesnt. As far as I know, YHM is the only brand that makes a rail this length. Unless you wanna spend $300 on a Daniel Defense RIS II.

5-56SPRJune08.jpg

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    A specter length will put you just shy of the front edge of the gasblock as shown above. A 9" midlength handguard will get you to the backside. Either will work fine. You wont find many options in specter length. You might be able to get away with a 10" handguard depending on the length of your gas block. If you decide not to run an adjustable, get a 12" rail and bury the gas block. Too much barrel sticking past the handguard looks weird, IMO. Also, you can get rifle length gas on an 18" barrel.

Mechy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    So I've been looking at Hand guards and the options are fairly limited for a .308 with a DPMS nut. I'm wondering about getting a 12" hand guard and operating an adjustable gas block through one of the holes/slots in the hand guard? Or maybe drilling a small hole if necessary. I'm thinking I'll end up with one of the JP adjustable blocks, it looks like they use an allen key and a little screw on the side for adjustment, so it looks feasible. Has anyone tried this?

Top Bottom