• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    The Hammond Times had a story that was letting residents know that the Hammond city ordinances are now available online. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/hammond/hammond-city-ordinances-are-available-to-residents-online/article_d9268034-6ddb-59a5-8dba-34aa4f8cf560.html

I went to the link and found this -
    http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Indiana/hammond_in/cityofhammondindianacodeofordinances?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:hammond_in

Title XIII:General Offences

It says you may not have a firearm - in any public building owned or leased by the city, or at any board or commission meeting of the city, regardless of whether the person has a "state permit to carry a firearm"

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The Hammond Times had a story that was letting residents know that the Hammond city ordinances are now available online. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/hammond/hammond-city-ordinances-are-available-to-residents-online/article_d9268034-6ddb-59a5-8dba-34aa4f8cf560.html

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Indiana/hammond_in/cityofhammondindianacodeofordinances?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:hammond_in

It says you may not have a firearm - in any public building owned or leased by the city, or at any board or commission meeting of the city, regardless of whether the person has a "state permit to carry a firearm"
    Did you happen to notice a disclaimer about any information provided?

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Did you happen to notice a disclaimer about any information provided?

No I didn't.

I should have put the same disclaimer on my post:D It's for informational purposes only. If you want the latest scoop ask the lawyer suing the City of Hammond because of this ordinance.

GEESH. You post something as law and then say "oh by the way, this may not be correct". What is a person to do - trust it or not? Then they say that ignorance of the law is not a defense.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    No I didn't.

Right on the front page of that site (second link in your post):

Disclaimer:
    This Code of Ordinances and/or any other documents that appear on this site may not reflect the most current legislation adopted by the Municipality. American Legal Publishing Corporation provides these documents for informational purposes only. These documents should not be relied upon as the definitive authority for local legislation. Additionally, the formatting and pagination of the posted documents varies from the formatting and pagination of the official copy. The official printed copy of a Code of Ordinances should be consulted prior to any action being taken.

I still fail to see how this is relevant. Either they have the ordinance or not. I really don't care what is posted on some 3rd party website. :xmad:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville

Sounds like a direct act of intimidation. Someone needs to volunteer to carry openly into a city building and if they are arrested then they have "standing" to sue the city. Anyone? Anyone? (I can't go because I live in Evansville and gas is too expensive. If it was only $3.85/gal I would do it. :D )

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Sounds like a direct act of intimidation. Someone needs to volunteer to carry openly into a city building and if they are arrested then they have "standing" to sue the city. Anyone? Anyone? (I can't go because I live in Evansville and gas is too expensive. If it was only $3.85/gal I would do it. :D )

I will pay for your gas. I will also hold your beer while you do this:D

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Thanks, but...uh....you see I just had carpal tunnel surgery on my left wrist two weeks ago and will have the stitches out tomorrow. Doc says I can't drive more than 200 miles away from Evansville. Sorry.

So your just going to sit there and let Hammond intimidate you:stickpoke:

:):

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Right on the front page of that site (second link in your post):

I still fail to see how this is relevant. Either they have the ordinance or not. I really don't care what is posted on some 3rd party website. :xmad:
    According to the Judge it's relevant. That's what the decision was based on in favor of the city.

I agree with you though. Regardless of what the website says the ordinance is still on the books and has yet to be dealt with in that capacity. I guess it needs a direct challenge as in if they actually try to enforce it.

I think mrortega has volunteered to be the test case and mainjet has offered to pay for his gas. :D

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    According to the Judge it's relevant. That's what the decision was based on in favor of the city.

I agree with you though. Regardless of what the website says the ordinance is still on the books and has yet to be dealt with in that capacity. I guess it needs a direct challenge as in if they actually try to enforce it.

I think mrortega has volunteered to be the test case and mainjet has offered to pay for his gas. :D
    He offered to hold my beer. It's probably illegal to carry into public places while holding a beer. If there was an organization called INBEER to back me up legally I'd do it in a heart beat.

You need somebody a lot braver than me to be a test case. Have you tried......Titanium Frost? I am not even worthy to lace up his gun belt.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Yes. The judge erred in his ruling, therefore my wife's attorney has filed a motion to correct those errors. I have little hope, but it helps the appeal.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yes. The judge erred in his ruling, therefore my wife's attorney has filed a motion to correct those errors. I have little hope, but it helps the appeal.

No the judge did not error. Ya just don't like how he ruled. ;)
    Bow down adn kiss the Mayor's ring and all may be forgiven. :laugh:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom