• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    It was in Kentucky that I was told this. The more I find about Indiana the more I like it. I guess we all should be interested in preserving it the way it is!

KyColonel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    It was in Kentucky that I was told this. The more I find about Indiana the more I like it.

Compared to Kentucky, Indiana gun laws are positively draconian. Kentucky is also a "stand your ground" state, and the provision extends to motor vehicles. My understanding is that in Indiana that's not the case. Corrections welcome.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Indiana castle doctrine applies to occupied motor vehicles, it says it right in the statute.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Compared to Kentucky, Indiana gun laws are positively draconian. Kentucky is also a "stand your ground" state, and the provision extends to motor vehicles. My understanding is that in Indiana that's not the case. Corrections welcome.
    indiana extends to any place you have a right to be at i.e. your car, workplace, public sidewalk

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009

Kentucky does have unlicensed open carry though.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    From what I was told by many different sources was that IN in certain public places unlicensed open carry was permitted. Is that correct?

I am not a lawyer, nor do I know the law for certain, but from what I have gathered in my time on INGO, the only way to carry legally in INDIANA without a LTCH would be with a black powder gun... :dunno:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    From what I was told by many different sources was that IN in certain public places unlicensed open carry was permitted. Is that correct?

Rifles, shotguns & "non-fixed ammunition" black powder pistols do not require a LTCH, modern "fixed ammunition" handguns however you have to have a LTCH in order to carry.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    It didn't make sense to me that you need to apply for a LTCH and wait 3 or more months, but you could carry a handgun without a LTCH open in certain areas. It just didn't sound right.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    You MAY carry on your own property or fixed place of business without an LTCH, but nowhere else.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Edu-ma-kate me here on our draconian gun laws. Kentucky requires a training class to get a carry license, Indiana does not. Brady Campaign shows that IN only gets a score of 4 out of 100, Kentucky has a 2, which is better, but still, the states are pretty close overall.

Had you looked at my post before answering like this you would have seen that Indiana is a 'stand your ground' state, and the provision extends not just to our cars, but to 'anyplace we are legally allowed to be' so that would include all public places, stores, restaurants, bars, parks, etc. We are also protected from lawsuits if we use a gun, or other weapon, and its considered justified use of force. We can get LIFETIME license so we don't have to keep paying the state for a renewal every 4 years like you do in Kentucky.

Top Bottom