• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    Hi Gang...I have not hunted in years (like 15) and never in Indiana. I see there is something called the "Urban Zone" that starts just South of IN-32.

My question is - is there any place that an ordinary person can hunt legally (public land/access) in Hamilton County??

If not what is the closest place to hunt?

I am a single father of 2 small children so going away for days or driving hours and hours unfortunatley won't work for me. Thought about leasing property but since I haven't hunted in so long (and don't have a ton of money to throw at a guess) I would have no idea how to pick a good piece out. :dunno:

Thank you for any help.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    No public land in Hamilton county for hunters , lots for bird watching , dog walking and ****ting (unnecessary comment removed) to hang out in but none for hunters.
    You might be able to get someone south of 32 to allow you to hunt but good luck , most of it is taken or leased.

there are a few public hunting areas around a hour drive that is open for public hunting.

Wilber Wright and a few other
    check the DNR web site for public hunting areas

Last edited by a moderator:

bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    There is a lot of farmland in northern Hamilton Co. A year or so a go I just got a plat map and started calling all the land owners and see if I could land a spot. After about 30 calls, I ended up with one. A lot has to do with networking and just finding it. Hope this helps.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    There is a lot of farmland in northern Hamilton Co. A year or so a go I just got a plat map and started calling all the land owners and see if I could land a spot. After about 30 calls, I ended up with one. A lot has to do with networking and just finding it. Hope this helps.

Thanks...great idea...I will try that!!

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I'm working on my ex MIL for next year. She and her husband have 7 acres north of Westfield. So far she's shot me down so this thread has given me some ideas!

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I have some family farm land just south of 32, all 19 acres of it. I went on a groundhog rampage last year and haven't seen many this year, so my focus has switched to the raccoons. Unfortunately we have a school and neighborhood just down the road so I'm a little weary of using anything bigger than a .22lr.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I have some family farm land just south of 32, all 19 acres of it. I went on a groundhog rampage last year and haven't seen many this year, so my focus has switched to the raccoons. Unfortunately we have a school and neighborhood just down the road so I'm a little weary of using anything bigger than a .22lr.

I can totally understand this...I would be the same way. Maybe switch to archery and go for deer. Have you seen many/any?

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Keep trying... hang out in your farm supply stores, go door to door, volunteer to help out local farmers, etc. I'm in the same boat here in Hancock county, but whatever you do don't give up. Like someone else said you may have 100 people say NO but all it takes is that one person to say YES.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Anyone know if you can archery hunt off Hazell-Dell Road between 96th and 116th on the east side of the road? It is public White River access and I've never seen any signs about not hunting there or trespassing but I have seen LOTS of deer there.

Actually they are on both sides of the White River there. North of the Carmel PD shooting range.

I have also seen some deer blinds built in River Road Park along the river but I don't know if it's legal to hunt there either. I don't see any signs. Are there any laws about hunting in a county park?

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Anyone know if you can archery hunt off Hazell-Dell Road between 96th and 116th on the east side of the road? It is public White River access and I've never seen any signs about not hunting there or trespassing but I have seen LOTS of deer there.

Actually they are on both sides of the White River there. North of the Carmel PD shooting range.

I have also seen some deer blinds built in River Road Park along the river but I don't know if it's legal to hunt there either. I don't see any signs. Are there any laws about hunting in a county park?

You must have landowner permissio to hunt. If you can find the owner and get permission . i would be cautiouse because of other that use the area walking dogs, bike riding and such
    better be safe and get written permission.
    better yet , why chance even getting yourself into a situation that could cost you money in fines , or court fees

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    You can not (legally) fire a gun within Noblesville city limits. Westfield is a township I believe, so I'm not sure. I'm also not sure what constitutes Noblesville's city limits, whether it includes all of Noblesville or not. I assume anything South of SR32 would be illegal to shoot, so 116th St. is probably not a legal hunting area. Not sure about Fishers, but due to the population, I'd say no way.

Top Bottom