• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I agree that much foreign aid could be spent more wisely, or not at all in some cases, but foreign aid is a drop in the bucket of federal expenditures. Military expenditures also are way down there, including stuff like the Iraqi and Afghanistan wars. As a percent of US GDP Iraq/Afghanistan are way below the Reagan build-up, nevermind Vietnam, Korea, or WWII, and we are significantly down from OEF/OIF.

Just this fiscal year the Department of Health and Human Services, Social Security Administration, and the Dept of the Treasury have EACH spent more than the DoD, and the Dept of State and foreign aid don’t even register on this scale of expenditure. Hint: it’s not the foreign wars and foreign aid part of government expenditures that are causing economic problems in the United States.

The Russians are bad guys and they should be kicked out of Ukraine, but that doesn’t make Ukraine the good guys and I am perfectly willing to believe they are as corrupt as the Russians say they are (which is the pot calling the kettle black). Joe Biden is definitely dirty in this as well. I’d be happy to tell the rest of NATO “we’re going to lead from the back on this one, you guys got it, good luck” and supply just enough aid to make sure the Russians don’t win.

Israel is culturally and politically a western ally, a technically adept ally as well, and they’re certainly worth more than Ukraine if you’re looking at it from a purely national interest point of view.

It’s all well, and good to natter on about foreign entanglements,such but guess what? The Greatest Generation (and the fact that nearly every other country had to fight on their home turf except us) made us a super power, and you wouldn’t like life much if we weren’t. Just because you don’t want to be entangled doesn’t mean those entanglements are not going to come look for you. The US is the big dog on the planet, and our cultural, economic, and military influence is resented and seen as a source of evil by our enemies (and some nominal “allies”). They are going to come entangle us, whether we want to be in tangled or not. They say it out loud and they mean it. It’s much smarter to fight several “unnecessary” small wars on somebody else’s turf than to have to deal with a truly existential one here at home.

So in the current mess, we should back Israel to the hilt in Gaza and the mideast generally, and if Iran gets waxed in the process the world will be better off. I don’t think Iran really has their arms around an operational nuke yet, but when they do, the world is gonna be much more unpleasant, then it is now. If Hamas is not hunted down and exterminated, they will see this as a victory and continue to attract and literally breed more “soldiers” in the ME and abroad.

And oh, by the way, there was some guy awhile back who was busy lining up the Israelis and the Arabs as allies against a bunch of religious nuts in another country who wanted to build their own nuke (as well as making the Palestinian “problem“ irrelevant). He was well on his way to setting up the ME to take care of its own problems. Wonder whatever happened to that effort, can’t quite remember his name.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I agree that much foreign aid could be spent more wisely, or not at all in some cases, but foreign aid is a drop in the bucket of federal expenditures. Military expenditures also are way down there, including stuff like the Iraqi and Afghanistan wars. As a percent of US GDP Iraq/Afghanistan are way below the Reagan build-up, nevermind Vietnam, Korea, or WWII, and we are significantly down from OEF/OIF.

Just this fiscal year the Department of Health and Human Services, Social Security Administration, and the Dept of the Treasury have EACH spent more than the DoD, and the Dept of State and foreign aid don’t even register on this scale of expenditure. Hint: it’s not the foreign wars and foreign aid part of government expenditures that are causing economic problems in the United States.

The Russians are bad guys and they should be kicked out of Ukraine, but that doesn’t make Ukraine the good guys and I am perfectly willing to believe they are as corrupt as the Russians say they are (which is the pot calling the kettle black). Joe Biden is definitely dirty in this as well. I’d be happy to tell the rest of NATO “we’re going to lead from the back on this one, you guys got it, good luck” and supply just enough aid to make sure the Russians don’t win.

Israel is culturally and politically a western ally, a technically adept ally as well, and they’re certainly worth more than Ukraine if you’re looking at it from a purely national interest point of view.

It’s all well, and good to natter on about foreign entanglements,such but guess what? The Greatest Generation (and the fact that nearly every other country had to fight on their home turf except us) made us a super power, and you wouldn’t like life much if we weren’t. Just because you don’t want to be entangled doesn’t mean those entanglements are not going to come look for you. The US is the big dog on the planet, and our cultural, economic, and military influence is resented and seen as a source of evil by our enemies (and some nominal “allies”). They are going to come entangle us, whether we want to be in tangled or not. They say it out loud and they mean it. It’s much smarter to fight several “unnecessary” small wars on somebody else’s turf than to have to deal with a truly existential one here at home.

So in the current mess, we should back Israel to the hilt in Gaza and the mideast generally, and if Iran gets waxed in the process the world will be better off. I don’t think Iran really has their arms around an operational nuke yet, but when they do, the world is gonna be much more unpleasant, then it is now. If Hamas is not hunted down and exterminated, they will see this as a victory and continue to attract and literally breed more “soldiers” in the ME and abroad.

And oh, by the way, there was some guy awhile back who was busy lining up the Israelis and the Arabs as allies against a bunch of religious nuts in another country who wanted to build their own nuke (as well as making the Palestinian “problem“ irrelevant). He was well on his way to setting up the ME to take care of its own problems. Wonder whatever happened to that effort, can’t quite remember his name.
    Was it Orange Man Bad?

Great post.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Now for an on topic post (!?!), all this talk of the US and foreign aid and support, is there anyone else that just thinks Israel is "different"? Like on a deeper meaning or faith level, different enough that it translates into our national relationship with them?

I'm just surprised i haven't seen this brought up here. I know secular people don't respect this reasoning at all, but I still think the reasoning is there affecting our stance with Israel that may be much different than any other country.

I just see people lumping all countries treatment into a few categories, friend or enemy and would ask is Israel different.
    I think we have to be careful from a faith level.

God promised to bless those that bless Israel and curse those that curse them.

I think America’s rise has a lot to do with us backing them in ‘48.

However, at some point a national leader from the tribe of Dan is going to come on the scene and re-instate the Mosaic covenant religious laws for 7 years and lead Israel militarily to take over the surrounding areas.

That leader will eventually die 3.5 years later. And come back…

For those in the know, it would not be wise for us to militarily, politically, religiously, and/or philosophically support this leader.

All that to say, a carte Blanche support for Israel, even from a religious perspective, will not always be in our best interest.

However, this is the direction of things and stick our heads in the sand would not be wise either.

I’d rather currently support Israel than Muslims who want to destroy all of us.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Now for an on topic post (!?!), all this talk of the US and foreign aid and support, is there anyone else that just thinks Israel is "different"? Like on a deeper meaning or faith level, different enough that it translates into our national relationship with them?

I'm just surprised i haven't seen this brought up here. I know secular people don't respect this reasoning at all, but I still think the reasoning is there affecting our stance with Israel that may be much different than any other country.

I just see people lumping all countries treatment into a few categories, friend or enemy and would ask is Israel different.
    The Lord will stand with Israel and I will stand with The Lord

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    While I agree and have the same faith-based sentiments the discussion if it continues down this path will most likely get a timeout.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country

I'll take an INGO slap on the wrist.

I believe anyone religious or not that appreciates the Judeo-Christian values that shaped the founding of the Republic should appreciate two nations for two different reasons: the United Kingdom for it's culture and Israel for it's religion.

The Magna Carta, English Common Law and the Enlightenment came from the British. The Enlightenment was the inspiration for the brilliance of Jefferson laid out in the Declaration of Independence. The Magna Carta and English Common Law were the inspiration for the Federalist Papers and Madison's magnum opus, The Constitution of the United States.

Individual liberty best works for a righteous and moral people. The foundation of such moral comes from Judeo-Christian values. A non-believer can be moral, righteous and share those values. Just like Americans are the younger cousins of the English, Christians are younger cousins of Jews. Our savior is a Jew, born from the line of David, the Lion of Judah.

I pledge allegiance to the American Flag, but I appreciate the Union Jack and the Star of David, for without either, the United States could not have become a shining city on a hill.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Oh no, You DO want to click that. Its beautiful.
    Recommended by DM and CM. I'll probably run screaming into the woods later if I click on it.

I did hear Black Sabbath War Pigs in the car earlier. I was alone, and played it real loud. Not as loud as when I had it on 8-Track back in the day, but loud for "usually listens to news/talk" standards.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Recommended by DM and CM. I'll probably run screaming into the woods later if I click on it.

I did hear Black Sabbath War Pigs in the car earlier. I was alone, and played it real loud. Not as loud as when I had it on 8-Track back in the day, but loud for "usually listens to news/talk" standards.
    If you don’t define what an 8-track is, you are leaving many young forum users in the dark.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'll take an INGO slap on the wrist.

I believe anyone religious or not that appreciates the Judeo-Christian values that shaped the founding of the Republic should appreciate two nations for two different reasons: the United Kingdom for it's culture and Israel for it's religion.

The Magna Carta, English Common Law and the Enlightenment came from the British. The Enlightenment was the inspiration for the brilliance of Jefferson laid out in the Declaration of Independence. The Magna Carta and English Common Law were the inspiration for the Federalist Papers and Madison's magnum opus, The Constitution of the United States.

Individual liberty best works for a righteous and moral people. The foundation of such moral comes from Judeo-Christian values. A non-believer can be moral, righteous and share those values. Just like Americans are the younger cousins of the English, Christians are younger cousins of Jews. Our savior is a Jew, born from the line of David, the Lion of Judah.

I pledge allegiance to the American Flag, but I appreciate the Union Jack and the Star of David, for without either, the United States could not have become a shining city on a hill.
    1698615878423.gif

With that said, this is the Israel/Hamas thread.

Top Bottom