• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    mk, gotta reply to a few of the things stated here.. first off in regards to the use of Miranda Warnings... just because a person is confronted by a LEO doesn't mean that they have to be mirandized....Miranda is only required when being questioned AND detained.

Another thing, just because we pay property tax doesn't mean we possess sole ownership to EVERYTHING on the property... the wildlife is property of the state. Which is why the state has the ability to manage it. Because a Conservation Officer is the employee of the state, he has the right to come onto your property for work-related purposes to better enforce Fish and Game laws.

I don't understand why people hate on law enforcement so much, but then complain that they never do anything and that they are lazy.. :dunno: Are there "some" LEO that are "authority-driven *******s" yes... that doesn't mean that all of them are. Conservation Officers don't have "Quotas" like some of you are suggesting. That isn't funding their new truck...The majority of the DNR income is from the sale of licenses, the Dingle Johnson Act, and The Pittman Roberts Act. Their money doesn't get funded off of a "per ticket system".

I received a speeding ticket the other for driving 5 miles an hour under the speed limit. $161 for driving 55mph in a 60mph zone.. "Driving too fast for the conditions"... was it a garbage ticket.. yes.. was I mad.. yes... anything I can do about it? no. State Trooper was making his quota.

Only thing against OP that is negative is that you shouldn't have said the officer's name.. but it is your right to do so. You didn't get cited.. sorry you were inconvenienced.. but hey.. you could be like me and have been written for an arbitrary obscure law...

-dcary7

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Another thing, just because we pay property tax doesn't mean we possess sole ownership to EVERYTHING on the property... the wildlife is property of the state. Which is why the state has the ability to manage it. Because a Conservation Officer is the employee of the state, he has the right to come onto your property for work-related purposes to better enforce Fish and Game laws.
    See that is were I have a problem... I allow no one to hunt on my property. So why do they have to go on it. We have on a couple of occasions almost shot CO's who were down range. For what reason... To check the lead content in the woods?!

I don't understand why people hate on law enforcement so much, but then complain that they never do anything and that they are lazy.. :dunno: Are there "some" LEO that are "authority-driven *******s" yes... that doesn't mean that all of them are.
    Why do I dislike law enforcement... Blame my heritage, I trust few people who volunteer for positions of authority. I tell you what next time I call a LEO to handle a problem for me you can chastise me then. I have little use for them. They do have a job to do, and I appreciate them for that. However just because you have a badge and authority does not mean you no longer have to be polite and civil...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Yup, and then you have to pay your lawyer to deal with the subpoena. The LEO just "fined" you by getting a subpoena and forced to you to put on your dancing shoes. Smarter and cheaper to excercise your right to remain silent and not run your mouth.

Get it? You don't win because you get the charges dropped, you get hosed because you have to pay to deal with the mess. Lots of people every year get tickets, summonses and even arrested for things that will never stick, but they still have to waste time and money dealing with the system. Your first instinct was still your best; to shut up and walk away.
    It is pretty clear your ass has never been in hot water before. FYI it is cheaper to fight and win then to lose. Get it? I don't think so. I mirandize people every day before I remind them of that fact and no I am not LEO in any way shape or form.

I just deal with the messes.

Read my posts again. I am telling you say nothing. If the LEO persists you tell him you are doing nothing illegal. If he persists still, you tell him to leave you alone and get a subpoena (IF he can). Exercising your right to remain silent and not incriminate yourself is not running your mouth. If he says you are going to jail, fine, put out your wrists and comply. Don't be afraid of a night in jail and free meals on the Govt.

My posts don't come from crap I read. I have had more than one M16 shoved in my face and dealt with a few Alphabet organizations and I follow the laws. LEO's do get fired for abuse of power, ask me how I know.

There comes a point where you say the last time you looked this was a free country and money is not the issue. If you ever get pushed across that line, that is when you may find what you are made of, but I never choose my fights or my freedom based on a price.

It ain't for sale. You get it? I really don't think so.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Apologetic Sheep is what this thread makes me think of......maybe I have just been too many places and seen too many things involving LEO's, Feds and DNR.

And for the record my family is filled with all of the above and they all operate with honor and integrity and they would all tell you the same thing. Shut up, get a Lawyer.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Jeremy, I am not disagreeing with the fact that they should treat people with respect and be polite and civil. I clearly stated that. And my reference to people complaining about law enforcement not doing anything and then complaining even more when they're stopped and confronted by law enforcement isn't directed at one particular person. If you don't use law enforcement for any reason.. great. But there are people that do.. people call and complain about people trespassing. They want the LEO to come and run the person off... but then turn around and say that the officer's have no right to be on their property and they're worthless, etc. Don't look at what I am saying as singling an individual out.. but you have to admit there are a lot of people that fit the description that I am using as an example.

Although we may all be honest individuals that don't intentionally break the law... lets face it. There are plenty of people out there that cheat the system any chance they can get. All I am saying is that there are too many people that are too quick to judge officer's actions.

"See that is were I have a problem... I allow no one to hunt on my property. So why do they have to go on it. We have on a couple of occasions almost shot CO's who were down range. For what reason... To check the lead content in the woods?!"
    .... One question... Why? You were considering shooting a law enforcement officer who legally has the right to be on the property...for what reason? :dunno: Just cus he was there...

And as you were stating... you allow no one to hunt on your property..which is fine and every bit your right to do so. If every landowner did the same though... there would be no where to hunt. And honestly, deer populations would be out of control... because one hunter isn't going to legally manage the deer population if they have any sort of size to their ground..../shrug There isn't THAT much public land for people to hunt on. The majority of it is private..

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    samot: consider yourself lucky! a friend of mine 'fred' had dnr show up at his house on sun. feb. 28th and talked to him for a while. he now has a court date facing 3 misdemeanors and almost 2200 in fines. i know he is innocent of what they are accusing him of because i was hunting with him on the day that he harvested the deer in '?'.i'm going to court with him to hopefully get him out of this predictament. I just think the dnr had a slow yr and they r just trying to get ppl out of the ordinary.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    samot: consider yourself lucky! a friend of mine 'fred' had dnr show up at his house on sun. feb. 28th and talked to him for a while. he now has a court date facing 3 misdemeanors and almost 2200 in fines. i know he is innocent of what they are accusing him of because i was hunting with him on the day that he harvested the deer in '?'.i'm going to court with him to hopefully get him out of this predictament. I just think the dnr had a slow yr and they r just trying to get ppl out of the ordinary.
    Can i ask what they are acusing him of ???

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    J
    Although we may all be honest individuals that don't intentionally break the law... lets face it. There are plenty of people out there that cheat the system any chance they can get. All I am saying is that there are too many people that are too quick to judge officer's actions.
    Ohhh... I wouldn't say I am honest. Something I learned in my years in the Service. If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying. Just because of the pure level of authority that LEO have people should be quick to criticize. Just because someone wears a badge does not give that person immunity or a conscience....

"See that is were I have a problem... I allow no one to hunt on my property. So why do they have to go on it. We have on a couple of occasions almost shot CO's who were down range. For what reason... To check the lead content in the woods?!"
    .... One question... Why? You were considering shooting a law enforcement officer who legally has the right to be on the property...for what reason? :dunno: Just cus he was there...

We have a 300 meter range. After we checked down range, we began to shooting. After 15-20 minutes a CO walked out of the woods beyond our backstop. This is not a rare occurrence either. Why was he there?! Checking for lead contamination?!

If I was considering shooting someone, it is generally a done deal... ;)

And as you were stating... you allow no one to hunt on your property..which is fine and every bit your right to do so. If every landowner did the same though... there would be no where to hunt. And honestly, deer populations would be out of control... because one hunter isn't going to legally manage the deer population if they have any sort of size to their ground..../shrug There isn't THAT much public land for people to hunt on. The majority of it is private..

The DNR can not manage itself effectively let all ALL the wildlife in Indiana... The reason I allow no one to hunt on my land is due to the fact I am trying to grow the Rabbit and Bird populations back up to levels that I can enjoy hunting at again... When I say no one I mean not even myself.

By the way Deer populations are out of control...

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    By the way Deer populations are out of control...[/quote]
    What would be considered in control? I could say the same about squirrels, rabbits, or birds. These animals were here long before us. I hear farmers talk about all the damage to their crops do to deer, but they don't mention raccoons. Where I hunt I see as much damage do to raccoons as I do deer. If we didn't have wildlife with populations that we have, what would we have to leave our children to enjoy?

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    You did the right thing. But watch out for a old buddy that is not as close as you once was. And remember

If you dont want somebody to get your goat Dont let'em know where you got it tied out at.

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This same BS happened to me. My wife got a decent 8 pointer and I shot a big 12. A "friend" was mad at me that I wouldn't let him hunt and called DNR. Long story short they showed up harrassed my wife and I, threatened to put us both in jail, and took both deer. JUST THE RACKS! Didn't care about the meat. The told me they were going to take my wife and me to jail if I didn't tell them I shot it! We have a brand new baby at the house at this time. I told him that she tagged one and I got one. I was supposed to have court on the 13th of Jan. December 31st and I get a letter in the mail telling me my court date has been postponed pending further investigation. Whatever that means. Basically anyone can turn you in for no reason other than jealousy and they will come talk to you. That same weekend a buddy killed a nice one out of my stand. I shot when we tracked it then he finished it. The CO said I should have tagged that deer. I have still not heard anything about the deer. Those jerks just wanted my 170" deer! Plain and simple. They said I wouldn't get it back, but how can they take my property and just keep it without any charges?

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Those jerks just wanted my 170" deer! Plain and simple. They said I wouldn't get it back, but how can they take my property and just keep it without any charges?
    Cause thier the law...... I know it suxs & i dont agree with it either, but thats the way it is & it happens all the time. :patriot: Im sure ill get lots of pos rep for that :D:D:D:D:D

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    This same BS happened to me. My wife got a decent 8 pointer and I shot a big 12. A "friend" was mad at me that I wouldn't let him hunt and called DNR. Long story short they showed up harrassed my wife and I, threatened to put us both in jail, and took both deer. JUST THE RACKS! Didn't care about the meat. The told me they were going to take my wife and me to jail if I didn't tell them I shot it! We have a brand new baby at the house at this time. I told him that she tagged one and I got one. I was supposed to have court on the 13th of Jan. December 31st and I get a letter in the mail telling me my court date has been postponed pending further investigation. Whatever that means. Basically anyone can turn you in for no reason other than jealousy and they will come talk to you. That same weekend a buddy killed a nice one out of my stand. I shot when we tracked it then he finished it. The CO said I should have tagged that deer. I have still not heard anything about the deer. Those jerks just wanted my 170" deer! Plain and simple. They said I wouldn't get it back, but how can they take my property and just keep it without any charges?

If you and your wife had legal tags on your deer then I dont think they could take them. Something smells a little fishy here.

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    the deer my wife tagged we found gut shot and finished him. They said I should have tagged it. They didn't care that I called in and told them I saw one get shot from a truck. They just took them and I've not heard any more about it. That was back in December.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    Lucky?? Huh, all i did was stand up for myself when someone was trying to wrongly acuse me & my family of poaching
    He can pursue it all he wants, the next time he comes on my property i will tell him to leave or arrest me. I will not let him or anyone else harrass me . My wife & I havnt done anything wrong.
    Change his mind abot what.
    I shot a deer I tagged it.
    My wife shot a deer She tagged IT. End of disscussion. What could i possably get in trouble for? If your not guilty your NOT guilty.....

We own a farm, the deer have been known to destroy our crops, the rest of the info is in the DNR regs booklet.....

You have done nothing wrong , he was only following up on a complaint , so which neighbor doesn't like you ? you've obviously ticked one of your neighbors off , probably because your wife shot the deer he was trying to get for the past 2 years.

Top Bottom