myaarpcard.jpg

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield

53 years ago I saw my dad stop a speeding car full of what he called punks,Flattop haircut with ducktail, white Tee shirt with cigs rolled up in sleeve,blue jeans with 2" cuff, with a fence post. We were building fence. Dad pitcheda post in front of the car them doing about 60 on a gravel road. Kid locked itup, but slid right past it to the left, as the breaks were pulling to the left.The kid’s dad came up to dad mad as he could be. He asked dad, "Did youtake a belt to his *ss as he needed it. He then told dad he had and also tookthe keys from him.

Today one of their dads could have came at you with a gun for what you didto his child (punk).

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    What is it with noobs telling wild stories today
    Its dec 3rd not april first
    Check your calender:D

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well first things first I know what I did was wrong! But it had to stop.
    So you're admitting to wrongdoing - but you didn't know what else to do, right?

I was washing my truck today and my grandchildren were playing in the front yard (5) when two vehicles drive by very fast I mean racing fast, this p***ed me off they drove around the neighbor hood squeeling tires all through the neighbor hood. I went into the house and grabbed my pistol and they decided to drive by again this time I met them in the middle of the road, they both had to slam on their brakes. At which time I let them know they were done, and it would be a good idea to not drive down my street again. Well that's the mild version of it. Wife went nuts said I will be lucky if I don't go to jail. Nothing happened except neighbor came out and said thanks, we have a lot of kids in this neighbor hood and at the time I thought it was justifiable. The question is this, what would you have done?

first, "neighbor hood" =/= "neighborhood".

It sound like you're dealing with hoods in your neighborhood and in totally the wrong way.

What separates us from the hoods is that we don't turn to guns and intimidation to solve problems.

The question is this, what would you have done?

Get license plate # and call the cops.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Agreed, but in the interest of taking a dumb story and turning it into education:

"(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded."

Ind. Code § 35-47-4-3

"Oh, but I didn't point it, you say to officer friendly?"

"Well the guys in the cars say you did as do their passengers. It's your word against 4....hands behind back, please."

Ran 3 trespassers off my hunting spot one day. Next day the cops showed up to ask about any poaching I might have seen. During my telling of what happened the cop informs me that the 3 poachers said I pointed my 629 at them (I never did).

Told him that if I pointed my gun at them the law would have been there yesterday, to zip 'em up.

3 against 1, pretty much ended the conversation right there.

Heard the kids got nailed for at least 2 poached deer, and other stuff.............cost a few K :)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Minor thread derailment... I went to taco bell the other day and they were out of CHIPS!!! How does that happen?! A "Mexican restaurant" that ran out of chips? I thought the end of the world had come a few weeks early. Thread re-engage...

I hope you shot that place up. That is the only way to handle it as a mature adult.

Lemmitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    New Albany
    Hell, I think you went easy on them. The last time I went to Taco Bell they were out of green onions so I pistol whipped 2 elderly ladies that were working for bingo money and hopped the counter. Once over the counter I held a kid's face in the bag o' meat warmer.

:D hahaha I just lol'd at work

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I wouldn't draw or hold a weapon in my hand unless I had reason to believe that I had just cause in using it. I assume that you had no intention of using the weapon, except for intimidation. What would you have done if they had called your bluff?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What if the OP was open carrying when he walked out in the street to confront the punks.

He doesn't touch or mention the gun during the conversation.

Any laws broken?

Yes. At the very minimum stepping in front of a car to force it to stop is Obstruction of Traffic, which is a misdemeanor.

Depending on the specifics of the situation, you may have Intimidation. Forcing someone to engage in conduct against their will (stop their car) by communicating a threat, either verbally or by action. Since the OP had drawn a deadly weapon, it would enhance it to a "C" Felony. A handgun in a holster would probably not get the enhancement unless it was used in the threat. It will be very fact dependent.

Again, depending on the facts, you may have Criminal Confinement. Citizens arrest does not allow for civil infractions (speeding) or traffic misdemeanors (reckless driving, engaging in speed contest). Only felonies and misdemeanors that involve a breach of the peace when the arrest is necessary to stop the breach (breaking up a fight) If you forced the vehicle to stop and then kept the driver from leaving, while armed with a deadly weapon, its a B felony.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    First off, I'd rather be the guy with the car than the guy with the gun, unless, of course, the gun was a bazooka.
    And, that was more of a "World According to Garp" moment unless you were also talking to an empty chair..

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Very nice out today... I was sitting on my front porch drinking a cold one when them damn Asian kids walked on my lawn again.... I grabbed the M1 and pointed it ay them... All I said was....." Get off my damn lawn zipperheads.."

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A car in reckless hands is a deadly weapon. The driver could have killed you since you had only a hand gun to protect yourself and the neighborhood children.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I sure hope the OP was just Bullshixxing, I don't believe any of the "gun-toting" people I know would do this, wrong in more ways than I can cite.The story did make me recall a situation that happened to me about 50 years ago (a totally different time). I was in my early 20's, married and had a toddler. Lived in a very small town in a new home I had built. About 1/8 mile or so down the road lived a family of what we called then neerdowells (trash). They had a couple of boys in their 20's or so that drove junk cars with no regard to safety or laws. I spoke to the County Sheriff Deputy (a family friend) about them racing past my house wide open - probably 50-70 mile/hr. He said he would watch for them, didn't think any of them had a license. I told him, if you don't catch them I will. He just smiled. I did speak to the boys and told them DON'T race past my house as my son plays near the road. About a week or two later I heard their car wind up (no muffler) heading past my house. I happened to have a few concrete blocks by my driveway, I picked one up and as they approached I pitched it out in the road in front of them - took the oil pan out and spread oil clear to their house then blew the engine. The state highway department took care of their second car. These boys also had a habit of running down a stop sign set in the center of the road about 4 blocks from my house. The road guys got tired of installing new posts & signs. They buried a railroad rail about ten foot long, 4 foot deep and mounted the sign. A day or so later the rail was bent over about 15 degrees, and the idiots didn't have any cars left. I really laughed every time I past that sign for a week or so. A month or two later I saw Pat the Deputy again, he gave me a big smile and said he found out the problem of those boys had been solved. Of course times have changed, and the police are far more available, today they would try to take care of the problem without my help, and if anyone did now what I did then they would be jailed.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have to admit to a few of these moments in my lifetime and I am lucky enough to not have serious regrets from epic fail on my part. Will not bore with details but this can lead to a very dark and lonely (and expensive) place. Remember the kids were watching and close enough to have been hurt if things had went south. Put the pistol in your waist band and go Rambo on the little (or not so little) douche bags with your mouth and then your fists if need be. The pistol is a last resort. Use it as a club....
    Remember this above all else, you have much to loose and they have so little. Also, these idiot kids today will come back and burn your house for spite. Not much fear in them these days.
    JMHO formulated from first hand experience.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I think there might be a job opening in Canton, OH for you. Oh wait, he's getting his job back, never mind.

Top Bottom