• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    So....you carry a 380 into the woods as a "woods gun" and it's loaded with FMJ? :ugh:. I carry around a .41 mag for a woods gun just for meth heads, if something was out there that could eat me it would be bigger yet. A 380? WTF

And apparently you have to have military training to have the common sense to pull a gun when you see a wolf

Another :ugh:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    While most of us agree that The lowly .380 is less than optimal, the guy was far from unarmed and the .380 is deadly. Hell even the .22 is deadly.

The lack of a wolf carcass means nothing either. If the wolf was killed it's sure that his friends hauled him away and ate him. If the wolf was injured, its sure that his friends killed him and then ate him later.

Would I rather have a nuclear death-ray than a .380? Of course! Would I stay home quivering in fear if a .380 was the only firearm available? Um, NO!

The main indication that the story is Bravo-Sierra is that he testifies that he was taken by surprise by 3 big fat strapping wolves and then he only fired one single shot. Uno. That's SINGULAR. On that statement alone I am calling shenanigans.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Dunno why there's so much skepticism about this story.
    Wolves are famous for their stealth, and I think it's just as likely to fire only once under duress of a potentially deadly encounter with multiple large carnivores as it is for a person to empty a whole 15 round mag...and missing...defending against a two-legged varmint.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    While most of us agree that The lowly .380 is less than optimal, the guy was far from unarmed and the .380 is deadly. Hell even the .22 is deadly.

The lack of a wolf carcass means nothing either. If the wolf was killed it's sure that his friends hauled him away and ate him. If the wolf was injured, its sure that his friends killed him and then ate him later.

Would I rather have a nuclear death-ray than a .380? Of course! Would I stay home quivering in fear if a .380 was the only firearm available? Um, NO!

The main indication that the story is Bravo-Sierra is that he testifies that he was taken by surprise by 3 big fat strapping wolves and then he only fired one single shot. Uno. That's SINGULAR. On that statement alone I am calling shenanigans.
    The ONE SHOT goes over well with me. A compact .380 is limited in mag capacity. You only have so many rounds and DON'T waste a single round.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The one shot makes sense on a lot of levels.

The Federal crap alone involved with a dead wolf is massive. Think 3 part mini series of TV show CSI. If you drop a wolf and lie about it, they will figure it out. So even if you are justified in the moment, you are not likely to shoot at wolves running away.

Also, if you are running a low capacity gun with a long walk back to your truck in dense forest, you are not wasting your rounds.

There are stories of shot wolves turning back and rushing the hunter.

People kill wolves year round. Guns, traps, poison even run them over with trucks. Any wolf that lives to be an adult knows guns.

When hunting on trails, my dogs can be just yards off trail and I can't see them. As I posted earlier, they can come out of nowhere very close to you. They may be focused on something other then you, but neither you or the wolf saw each other until that moment.

I have had bears a lot larger then wolves pop up and also disappear in just a few steps. There is a recent video of a moose near here that was rescued. It only took 2-3 steps and it was gone, out of sight. I don't doubt it is the one I thought I heard a few weeks ago. I never saw it.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Lo
    He drifted in to a den site or meet up site. If he had a dog, the dog might have warned him of their presence, but the dog would be dead. In general locals will know where some of these spots are and the DNR will too. You just stay the hell out of those spots. They are defending their pups in these locations.

Wolf caution areas - Wisconsin DNR

This is an excellent link BTW. Really nice explanations of some things for a non-hunter like me.

Kmocao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Somewhar in the Bush
    You have to admit it gives a whole new appreciation of "the great outdoors" knowing that there are still things out there that can kill and eat you. At least it does for me. Makes you feel alive.
    I was thinking the same thing. Not too sure what is so unbelievable about a pack of wolves attacking a lone man in the woods.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    There are stories of shot wolves turning back and rushing the hunter.

You have made my point for me right here. If I shoot a wolf, I want him dead. A double-tap is in order right from the git-go, and then It's still standing? Plus now it's injured? And not to mention that it had just showed aggression to a man? Naw, I want it dead

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You have made my point for me right here. If I shoot a wolf, I want him dead. A double-tap is in order right from the git-go, and then It's still standing? Plus now it's injured? And not to mention that it had just showed aggression to a man? Naw, I want it dead
    No argument from me, just doing psychological CSI on his oh **** moment when he saw how big those wolves were and how small his gun was. As I was taught, a .380 is a stick it in the ear pull the trigger gun. Better then a bare fist.

I don't even use buckshot in all the house and garage shotguns, it's slugs all the way. Last year we bought 3 Beretta Nano's cheap just to have as walking and garden backups. Kind of like a Bic lighter of our guns. They work and if we lose them, so what. I only have one .380 left, I consider it a tackle box gun. With today's small 9's I see no reason to have a .380 in the forest. I also don't carry single stack off the property. If I get hurt fishing or hunting it can be a long night before I am found.

Someone I know just had an I told you so moment yesterday. He stopped to take a pic of his dog and two grouse.........25 yards away a big wolf was sitting watching his dog. Knowing he was right there. That wolf was following waiting for the dog to get separated from him. I told him I keep my dogs in close.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Ive been out west hiking in glacier mountain and a few other places and i can definitely say it puts on a whole different level mentally when most of the animals roaming the area can kill you with ease. We had a huge bear pop up about 20 yards from us in the bushes while hiking and even though he didnt seem to care that we were there i didnt really feel all that adequate with a snubby 357 in my pocket.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    A .380? Pfff.

All you need is a knife and some broken airline booze bottles.

MV5BMjAwMDA5MzcyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTI4NjExNw@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Were they silver bullets???? That can make a difference if he was anywhere near Bray Lane........

For those doubting the ferocity of these animals I bring you the case of the cute, hippie folk singer who was attacked by "coywolves"...Which as a species came to be in our lifetime....

[video=youtube;u7_-_0-1yy0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7_-_0-1yy0[/video]

Now this documentary on the Taylor Mitchell attack is lengthy but worth watching...Also the Nature Special "Meet the Coywolf"...

[video=youtube;5g6SsyRajNg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g6SsyRajNg[/video]

[video=youtube;64sbtH8cguo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64sbtH8cguo[/video]

Here is a list of recorded attacks from around the world....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wolf_attacks

Here is for North America....

http://www.aws.vcn.com/wolf_attacks_on_humans.html

Last edited:
    Top Bottom