• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've only ever really gone to the 1500 show. I went to the Indy national Guard Armory show YEARS ago, but was very unimpressed by the number and types of weapons there (mostly antiques military rifles). I am looking to build up my collection some more and wish to attend more coming up and am curious ... which ones would you guys recommend? I always hear some people(lefties) complain about being able to buy a firearm at a show without the paperwork/background check...That is required at the 1500 I know..so does that mean it is not at some others? I simply assumed it was required by law in this state that it must be done at the shows.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I am just going to comment on the 4473 question and leave the recommendations to others.

EVERY firearm purchase regardless of location conducted with an FFL must complete a 4473, background check. The only time the rule does not apply is when one private individual sales to another individual.

So I will use Plainfield Shooting Supply for my example. Every 1500 they close there main store and move operations to the 1500. Every time they sale a gun the must run a background check on the person buying the gun.

Where as if I were to liquidate my small collection I could purchase a booth space and sale my collection without having to run a background check on the buyers. I am exempt because I am a private individual how is not running a for profit business selling firearms.

At least this is the way I understand the law take the advice for what you paid for it. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    which ones would you guys recommend?

All of them. If you want to collect, then treat it as a job.

Get in early, stay late, have to put in the grinding, numbing work to make it happen.

Do your homework. Do not listen to the nonsense of 22 year olds whining about "there aren't any deals" on their new Rugers or Glocks.:rolleyes:

I always hear some people(lefties) complain about being able to buy a firearm at a show without the paperwork/background check...That is required at the 1500 I know

I simply assumed it was required by law in this state that it must be done at the shows.

Um, no, the same law applies inside a gun show as it does outside a gun show. There is no magic bubble of lawlessness inside a gun show (like the Simpsons episode where the CCTV cameras do not see Homer's backyard).

If you want to purchase a Title I firearm that is not C&R and you do not have a C&R license, then you must fill out a 4473.

If you want to purchase a Title I firearm from Jim Bob walking around a pistol or long gun with a "for sale" sign sticking out of the barrel, then you do not fill out a 4473 AS LONG as Jim Bob is an Indiana resident too.

As far as "paperwork" when buying from Jim Bob, some guys want to see a DL and an LTCH.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    If you want to go to a large show go to the Great Eastern at Louisville in Sept. It is huge and has 3 shows for one ticket. You will find every type of weapon represented there as well as much militaria. You will find evil black guns there, antiques that make you drool all over yourself, shotguns galore, and yes even some beef jerky! I've found some real deals there but even if you don't find something to buy it will keep you busy looking. Down side is you pay for parking and admission, it is at the KY Expo center.
    If you go there and haven't looked at enough guns, travel to Tulsa in the fall for the Wanemacher show. It is held at the state fair grounds expo center, parking is free and admission is $10 or $11. This show honestly will wear you out it is so large. The wife and I make it a two day event. Simply put, if you can't find it there, it doesn't exist.:patriot:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The1Kidd03,

The best gunshow for me in Indiana is the Indy1500. It is close, it has a big turnout, and the variety is good.

The largest nearby gunshow to attend is the National Gun Day show in Louisville, KY. Last time I was there it was at 2,400 tables, although this Septembers show looks like it will be much closer in size to the Indy1500.

The best show I have attended is Tulsa. It is the largest gunshow in the USA at about 4,000+ tables. The variety there is OUTSTANDING! That is this November 12th and 13th. I plan on attending again this year.

Depending on what you are looking for all the gunshows are good to attend. Even the smallest show could have that next gem you are dying to get.

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've been collecting for 16 years and have always attended the 1500. After a disappointment at the armory show over a decade I go I just never felt the need to go the smaller shows. I think they may be a little more worth my time these days considering the increased popularity of firearms and shooting sports as opposed to the 90's when the country was largely on their "anti-gun kick".

jwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    The 1500 is REALLY HUGE.. i went to it a few months ago.. and spent 3 hours just walking around and looking at firearms.. however.. i took my 2 cousins and i ended up paying like 36 bucks for all of us to get in ($12 a person) .. but it was really fun..

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    If you want to go to a large show go to the Great Eastern at Louisville in Sept. It is huge and has 3 shows for one ticket. You will find every type of weapon represented there as well as much militaria. You will find evil black guns there, antiques that make you drool all over yourself, shotguns galore, and yes even some beef jerky! I've found some real deals there but even if you don't find something to buy it will keep you busy looking. Down side is you pay for parking and admission, it is at the KY Expo center.
    If you go there and haven't looked at enough guns, travel to Tulsa in the fall for the Wanemacher show. It is held at the state fair grounds expo center, parking is free and admission is $10 or $11. This show honestly will wear you out it is so large. The wife and I make it a two day event. Simply put, if you can't find it there, it doesn't exist.:patriot:
    I have been to the Tulsa show a few times, makes the 1500 look pretty small really. There are a ton of vendors and dealers there that are non-firearms related as well, I remember quite a few dealers in Native American artifacts, a lot of western art and an absolute ton of Jerky, I havent been to it for about 15 years or so but I remember it being HUGE

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I attended my first 1500 show last year and loved it. They had tons of stuff to look at, not just firearms. My only problem is every time I purchase a gun I have a 3 day hold put on me. I am not sure why. So while we are at answering questions about the gun show does anybody have any advise for me? 3 day hold would prevent a gun show purchase. Only thing I can think of is bringing the wife and discreetly pointing at what I want but then I would have no choice but to tell her how much it cost.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I attended my first 1500 show last year and loved it. They had tons of stuff to look at, not just firearms. My only problem is every time I purchase a gun I have a 3 day hold put on me. I am not sure why. So while we are at answering questions about the gun show does anybody have any advise for me? 3 day hold would prevent a gun show purchase. Only thing I can think of is bringing the wife and discreetly pointing at what I want but then I would have no choice but to tell her how much it cost.

Someone will correct me on this, but I believe that if you have your license to carry you don't have to go through the whole wait thing....I'm not positive, but that USED to be the case and the whole point of having it....so you might try to get it to avoid the wait...but someone can correct me if they know better, I have been on active duty for a while and not in the state so I don't know if it is any different now

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    When I go the local gun stores I get the waiting period even though I do have my lifetime carry permit. No big deal at the store. Just like any kid with a new toy I would love to have it right away but I am not gonna fall on the floor kicking and screaming because I cannot. However the gun show is a different animal. Do not know if they would take the permit into account or not.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Oh I so much want to post, so I will. I would have love to gone to that show you went to with a lot of mil-surps. Sounds like your into the mall ninja stuff. Look around here or the rest of the internet, plenty of it to go around.

Any gun show is what you make it. You just have to keep hitting them to find the deals your looking for. Sure there's some around that I will not go back to cause the venue is just to small. But don't count out the small shows, you never know what you'll find.

Top Bottom