• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Yes, I said "theatre" not "theater." I mean plays, musicals, live acting, not movies and popcorn.

I'm on the board for a local theatre group, so the topic of guns actually comes up quite a bit. There are TONS of plays and musicals with guns in them. Just this past March I performed in a murder mystery in which nearly every character had a gun. The audience literally sat at tables in the action, so we wanted them to look as real as possible. We ended up with an assortment of air soft, cap, and starter guns, spray painted where necessary to cover orange tips, etc.

At the end of the show, my character, caught as the murderer, shot herself. I was asked to use the starter gun. Have you ever used an old starter gun? The blast is actually quite impressive! Well, I refused and instead used a cap gun. Even with it only being a cap gun, I did not let anyone else touch it EVER. It stayed with me the whole time, and I triple-checked it each night before concealing it since I knew I'd have to point it at my heart each night and pull the trigger.

Anyway...

One of my theatre nut friends is in another theatre group and was on facebook last night asking for pre-1952 guns to use in their show.
    Like, real guns.
    So I asked if they had thought about trying pellet guns or another alternative since I wouldn't be very trusting of my neighbor's gun being unloaded.
    He simply responded that they wanted them to look realistic and that the guns wouldn't be loaded and that nobody probably had any 7.62 ammo anyway (that's what another friend offered to let him borrow).
    :n00b:

I'm not really sure what I'm asking for here - he can do whatever he wants, I guess. I just know that if I were in that show, I'd be quitting when I found out the others were carrying real guns and pointing them at me during the show. And I'd be telling the audience to stay home. Or maybe they're all just willing to destroy each other?
    Gun safety FAIL.

I'll happily pm you the theatre location if you were planning on going to a play in northwest Indiana anytime soon.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    The ONLY way I'd use a real gun on stage is if I had personally disabled it so that it was completely incapable of firing and the parts to make it fire were under lock and key.

Having said that, I don't see ANY need for real guns on stage.

Precisely. And it'd be pretty difficult for multiple people to personally disable the same firearm as such!

Agreed, no need for any real guns on stage (well, no need for real guns as part of the play on stage. :whistle:).

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Show them this: Actor accidentally shot in Sarasota Florida during rehersal.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQB--IOILR0]YouTube - Actor Accidentally Shot During Florida Play Rehearsal[/ame]

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    Yikes!! I don't like the idea of using real firearms on stage at all. Acceptable airsoft pistols can be had very inexpensively that look real from the house. (after the orange is removed/painted) Remind them that it does not have to look real up close, only from the house...

Have them check out these.

On another note, I wonder how many actors (besides AuntieB) do carry when they are on stage... Hadn't ever thought of that...

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Won't that ^ get you into some kind of trouble? :dunno:

I hope not...:shady:

Does the theatre troupe perform on any school stage?

If so that might be a legal problem to add to the safety problems!

This particular theatre has their own venue. The theatre group I'm a part of typically uses a high school, though, so yes, that would be a huge problem!

Show them this: Actor accidentally shot in Sarasota Florida during rehersal.

YouTube - Actor Accidentally Shot During Florida Play Rehearsal

Exactly my point - bad things could happen.

Yikes!! I don't like the idea of using real firearms on stage at all. Acceptable airsoft pistols can be had very inexpensively that look real from the house. (after the orange is removed/painted) Remind them that it does not have to look real up close, only from the house...

Have them check out these.

On another note, I wonder how many actors (besides AuntieB) do carry when they are on stage... Hadn't ever thought of that...

Nice site! Those would certainly work for them, I would think.

Oh, well, I've done all I can...I just "happened" to mention it to a season ticket holder today who was going to email the president of their board. :D

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I have quite a bit of experience with arms on stage. A large % of my collection has been rented out for use on stage before..
    If you want good effect of a shot fired you want to get a prop gun made for it..
    they usally come in 8mm and have ported & blocked barrels so that you can point them at an actor and fire them..
    Do not attempt to use a real gun for this.. I have seen even a starters pistol burn some one..
    also even "blanks" will fire a projectile at times.. people have been killed by blank shotgun wads..

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I have quite a bit of experience with arms on stage. A large % of my collection has been rented out for use on stage before..
    If you want good effect of a shot fired you want to get a prop gun made for it..
    they usally come in 8mm and have ported & blocked barrels so that you can point them at an actor and fire them..
    Do not attempt to use a real gun for this.. I have seen even a starters pistol burn some one..
    also even "blanks" will fire a projectile at times.. people have been killed by blank shotgun wads..

Yeah, my cap gun sound effect was kinda puny compared to the starter gun. We used the starter gun for the sound effect back stage, but we made do with the cheap cap gun for on stage since I really didn't want to hurt myself with the starter gun. It would be awesome to have real prop guns...alas, our budget simply doesn't allow for it.

What kind of precautions did they take when they borrowed your guns for use on stage?

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Let's not forget Bertolt Brecht's theory of the gun. A gun on the mantle constantly draws the audience's attention. A character need only enter the scene with a pistol, place it on the mantle, and the audience is drawn into the tension. He saw a pistol as an interesting tool. So did Artaud...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Yeah, my cap gun sound effect was kinda puny compared to the starter gun. We used the starter gun for the sound effect back stage, but we made do with the cheap cap gun for on stage since I really didn't want to hurt myself with the starter gun. It would be awesome to have real prop guns...alas, our budget simply doesn't allow for it.

What kind of precautions did they take when they borrowed your guns for use on stage?

most of the time the best thing you can do is have an intelligent weapons handler.. someone backstage who only deals with the weapons..
    keeps them locked up & checks them before they go on stage..
    if the gun is just a costume item, worn but never drawn you don't have to do anything to it..
    For guns pointed at persons you can get un bored barrles made for them..

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    most of the time the best thing you can do is have an intelligent weapons handler.. someone backstage who only deals with the weapons..
    keeps them locked up & checks them before they go on stage..
    if the gun is just a costume item, worn but never drawn you don't have to do anything to it..
    For guns pointed at persons you can get un bored barrles made for them..

Gotcha. In this case, they are props. And they're not using un-bored barrels, but that is an interesting suggestion. Thanks for the feedback.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I know it's somewhat gauche to cross-quote, but the stated purpose of the weapons is:
    Facebook said:
    The guns never get fired, actually, just pointed around as if someone were ready to fire them
    If the actors point the guns at a person who chooses to raise a stink, a real jerk of a prosecutor could argue charges of Pointing a Firearm (IC 35-47-4-3, a Class A misdemeanor), Criminal Recklessness (IC 35-42-2-2, a Class D felony since it involves a deadly weapon). Worst case scenario is 4 years in prison and $15,000 in fines for the offender. It's not likely a judge'd throw the book at the actor, but it's a risk I'd not want to take as an actor, and not a show I'd want to attend as a patron.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I know it's somewhat gauche to cross-quote, but the stated purpose of the weapons is: If the actors point the guns at a person who chooses to raise a stink, a real jerk of a prosecutor could argue charges of Pointing a Firearm (IC 35-47-4-3, a Class A misdemeanor), Criminal Recklessness (IC 35-42-2-2, a Class D felony since it involves a deadly weapon). Worst case scenario is 4 years in prison and $15,000 in fines for the offender. It's not likely a judge'd throw the book at the actor, but it's a risk I'd not want to take as an actor, and not a show I'd want to attend as a patron.

I doubt any police would even bother to do a report of pointing a firearm if it was part of a real performance..
    But if one thinks someone in the audience would take offense you post a disclamer in the program & house doors and warn that guns are used in the performance..

If any actor has a problem with guns being pointed they will probably quit long before you bring the real guns into rehersal..

Top Bottom