• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    As to pointing a firearm, I believe that would fall under the heading of an assumed risk as the individual knew that the weapon was part of the production. An individual taking part in a re-enactment couldn't press charges against another if a firearm were pointed at them as part of the battle(i.e. he pointed his Brown Bess or Kentucky rifle at me as we were charging and I felt threatened), nor could a football player press charges against another for assault for what took place during play action unless there were some egregious action that really caused some damage. I don't even believe that there is a law against such things in film and theatre because the threat is an integral part of the action on stage, is under the direction of another, and is understood to be staged. Actor Brandon Lee's mother and fiance received a settlement from the studio producing The Crow, however, no criminal charges were filed despite the cause being found to be negligence.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    As to pointing a firearm, I believe that would fall under the heading of an assumed risk as the individual knew that the weapon was part of the production. An individual taking part in a re-enactment couldn't press charges against another if a firearm were pointed at them as part of the battle(i.e. he pointed his Brown Bess or Kentucky rifle at me as we were charging and I felt threatened), nor could a football player press charges against another for assault for what took place during play action unless there were some egregious action that really caused some damage. I don't even believe that there is a law against such things in film and theatre because the threat is an integral part of the action on stage, is under the direction of another, and is understood to be staged. Actor Brandon Lee's mother and fiance received a settlement from the studio producing The Crow, however, no criminal charges were filed despite the cause being found to be negligence.

That's interesting info. I suppose I'm thinking more of a potential threat to the audience, not to other actors. I've never once thought that by going to a theatrical performance, say the Sound of Music (the Nazi soldiers could certainly have guns as props), that I was assuming a potential threat and releasing the theatre of liability by sitting in the audience (as opposed to participating in a reenactment or as a member of the football team). The actors would know in advance the condition of the props (or, rather, should know) and be able to make that decision for themselves, the audience, though, probably would not have that chance since I sincerely doubt they are mentioning this potential threat on their advertising.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    It seems to me that the audience understands that furniture, walls, clothes, and weapons are all props. The Living Theatre used heavy audience participation in their productions--crossing a lot of boundaries (a LOT of boundaries). Antonin Artaud explained that because there is a divide between theatre and reality, theatre can be that much more frightening (hyper-real) because the audience instinctively realizes that the action is not real. The very nature of theatre depends upon the audience recognizing that they are watching staged action, not actual occurrences. Anyone who tried to raise the issue of firearms on stage being threatening to the audience would not be well-received by the police, I don't care how liberal the department. In fact, the more liberal the department, the more they would resent the misunderstanding of legitimate theatre.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Oh dear. I don't even know where to begin. Brandon Lee died from a blank gun put to his head. Yes, it was a .44 mag blank, but still. *SIGH*

Any blank fired out of a real gun has enough pressure to crack the skull..

A real gun used as a prop , something carried around by actor , Vs a real gun used as a special effects device , something that goes bang..

IF you are working with a production that wants to have a special effect fired close to a person a real gun is not the best choice.. There are several makers of stage blank guns that can be fired close to others..

If one is working with a limited buget that does not have room for them to purchase a blank stage gun, the next best thing is to have 2 guns.. one used on stage & one used off stage to fire the blank...

When working with stage, or even movie productions , it is very important that a RESPONSIBLE weapons master is used.. Someone who knows the weapons and the risks involved.. And an understanding of special effects in stage use... not understanging how effects read on stage can lead to someone trying to be more "real" than they need to be & thus taking risks that don't need to be taken..

For example ; it is not necessary for a blank firing gun to be used in the end of "Of Mice and Men" it just needs to be a real looking gun.. the blank , if the director chooses to use one, can be fired off stage and no one in the aduience will ever remeber that the sound came from off stage.. But if someone does not understand that effect they might be risky and try to fire a real gun with blanks close to someone's head..
    This can lead to a dead actor..

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Oh dear. I don't even know where to begin. Brandon Lee died from a blank gun put to his head. Yes, it was a .44 mag blank, but still. *SIGH*

Blank wasn't put to his head, nor was it an actual blank. It was a flash round that was supposed to be synced up with the squibs in his bags. There was a fragment of metal in the barrel of the gun which wasn't a real (oxymoron) dummy weapon. Bullet didn't strike his head, it hit his chest. Cause was determined to be negligence on the part of the film crew but no criminal charges were filed. Linda Lee Caldwell and Brandon's fiance received a settlement. I don't know the caliber of the pistol used, but it doesn't really matter because it wasn't a bullet, it was a shard of metal.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom