Guns stolen from Harvey police range including FULL AUTOS!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    HECK YEAH!!! stolen full auto weapons from a police department. you betcha!! this is one thing you learn in counter terorism training is warning signs to look for, and this is certainly one.
    From what I am reading here in the US and abroad, alleged terrorists are either bringing their own weaponry with them (Italians in Afghanistan) or buying them in whatever country they are in. Even in backchannels I've not seen/read about stolen weapons being used in terrorism. Even Hamas is buying weapons from the Syrians and North Korea - and I'm talking about small arms, not missiles and such, though they are buying those, too.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    UPDATE:

Most of the 21 weapons stolen from a firing range in the city over the weekend have been recovered by police, Mayor Eric Kellogg announced at a news conference Wednesday night. Kellogg did not know the exact number of weapons retrieved. He said Acting Harvey Police Chief Denard Eaves told him the weapons were recovered in Harvey.
    Eaves said no individuals are in custody, but that there are people of interest in the case.
    "We will not rest nor will we sleep until all of the weapons are recovered as well as the individuals involved in the burglary act," Kellogg said.

Stolen weapons recovered in Harvey

Most of... Yeah, this is just going great. I'm really wondering if an officer is going to be in trouble for this, but the public will never be notified about who took the guns.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    Why on God's Green Earth have we allowed a police department to have a full auto weapon? That is grossly excessive.

Further, police are civilians. If we can't have it, they can't have it.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    On Tuesday, the Cook County Sheriff's Department withdrew from the burglary investigation. A spokesman for the county agency indicated an independent investigation could not be conducted due to interference from Harvey police.
    Kellogg said he could not speak on what he called "the breakdown in communication," but he said he would address it with Cook County Sheriff Thomas Dart.
    "We would never attempt to undermine any outside agency," Kellogg said.

Man... they forgot the purple AGAIN!

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    Looking back at Harvey police reputation I wouldnt be surprised if they had the guns rented out for a couple of weekends to support the wine, women and song.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Another Update

Most of the weapons stolen from a Harvey shooting range were recovered today in a wooded area behind an elementary school, and police say they are searching for "persons of interest."
    Tips from residents led police to the weapons, which were a mix of police-officer issued and officers' personal guns, Harvey Acting Police Chief Denard Eaves said.
    Eaves and Mayor Eric Kellogg would not say how many or what types of weapons were recovered, but Eaves said they were found in cases. They also would not provide specifics about the persons of interest.

As Illinois State Police and members of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives worked the muddy scene behind Ziebell Elementary School, near 149th Street and Rockwell Avenue in Harvey on the border of Posen, Kellogg said the offenders tried to bury the weapons.
    At least 21 weapons, which included handguns and AR-15 assault rifles, were reported stolen around 9 a.m. Monday from a trailer of the shooting range at 153rd Street and Campbell Avenue, according to Harvey police and the ATF.
    The ATF and state police are trying to determine how the weapons were removed and to trace their histories, ATF spokesman Special Agent Tom Ahern said. He said several weapons were left behind after the theft. Law enforcement sources said the shooting range wasn't a secure facility and isn't equipped for storing weapons.
    Kellogg said police would put some safeguards in place so "something of this magnitude can never happen again," but he did not provide specifics. He said he does not want to close the gun range, which more than 50 police departments use.
    Earlier Wednesday, Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart said he ordered his investigators out of Harvey after they learned Harvey police were continuing a separate investigation of the thefts - a direct violation of the sheriff's request.
    "It was absolutely clear when we talked to them that we were going to be running (the investigation) ourselves, for safety, for security and a million other good reasons," Dart said.
    The Harvey Police Department is no stranger to controversy. The city's dismal record of unsolved violent crimes and allegations of police abuse have led to dozens of lawsuits and prompted the FBI, state and county agencies to raid the department.
    Dart would not comment on what his investigators learned about how the trailer was entered. A source said detectives believe the thieves broke a window to enter the trailer.
    Kellogg said he welcomes the help of outside agencies and wants to meet with Dart to clear up any miscommunication.
    "I feel extremely concerned about the sheriff utilizing such strong words as someone lied to them," Kellogg said. "We certainly don't utilize those practices here in the Harvey (police) department."
    A group of Harvey aldermen said they want outside investigators to help to make sure Harvey police aren't looked upon as tainting their own investigation.
    2 things stand out to me. 1. they were found in woods behind and ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. 2. they thought a trailer with windows was secure.

Edit - site Most weapons stolen from Harvey shooting range found - Chicago Breaking News

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    From what I am reading here in the US and abroad, alleged terrorists are either bringing their own weaponry with them (Italians in Afghanistan) or buying them in whatever country they are in. Even in backchannels I've not seen/read about stolen weapons being used in terrorism. Even Hamas is buying weapons from the Syrians and North Korea - and I'm talking about small arms, not missiles and such, though they are buying those, too.

im just saying its a warning sign. what you can openly read as a civilian or even get trained on as a cop is gonna be low security level stuff for a reason. police departments get told things on a need to know situational basis. so it wouldnt suprise me if a cop isnt fully aware of counter terrorism methods, because its mostly not what they've been trained to do. thats why they are instructed to call the ATF and FBI (all under the U.S. DHS) in instances like these.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Another Update

2 things stand out to me. 1. they were found in woods behind and ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. 2. they thought a trailer with windows was secure.

Edit - site Most weapons stolen from Harvey shooting range found - Chicago Breaking News

Given the apparently less than professional nature of that department, I hope the quote below doesn't mean they are trying to figure out who they can frame for this.

Eaves and Mayor Eric Kellogg would not say how many or what types of weapons were recovered, but Eaves said they were found in cases. They also would not provide specifics about the persons of interest.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    im just saying its a warning sign. what you can openly read as a civilian or even get trained on as a cop is gonna be low security level stuff for a reason. police departments get told things on a need to know situational basis. so it wouldnt suprise me if a cop isnt fully aware of counter terrorism methods, because its mostly not what they've been trained to do. thats why they are instructed to call the ATF and FBI (all under the U.S. DHS) in instances like these.
    I may be disabled and out of the game, but I still have friends and sources. :)

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    so this is how it went down. police officers go out drinking, go get full auto weapons from range, drive around in squad cars shooting ****. wake up hungover with the squad car in the front yard. full auto weapons spread all over the house. "**** we have to get take these back" turn on the news and its already reported as theft. "lets go bury them behind the elementry school!" "ok"

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom