• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yes, its on the loop announcement that plays over and over. If your a season ticket holder and are found to have a firearm I would bet you get your tickets revoked. I have carried a few times but usually leave it in the car. Security is stepped up at games if for no other reason traffic control.
    I sit near the douchebag know as "Don" and I wondered if he carried or not. Good thing is dons not in real good shape nowdays.

That means that if all hell breaks loose when Don keels over from a heart attack you can grab his weapon and you're covered!

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    So....getting all hypothetical with it...

What about the IHSAA Football Championships at Lucal Oil...might that then be illegal to carry (think of the children!!!)

It is a K-12 event, but is it school use, or IHSAA use which, AFAIK, is strictly a governing body and not related to any particular school system or the Dept. of Ed.

I have no desire to go, but just curious what some of those intimately familiar with the law and, hopefully, case law might say.
    I am certain that would be off limits for carry.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I would argue that since the venue doesn't exclude the general public from attending, then it's not a "school function" any more than if a science club showed up to the zoo while you were there.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I carried at a high school football game at Lucas last year, no security at the doors, I could have taken in anything.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Are there signs, or a voice announcement prohibiting weapons, or firearms?

Speaking about Railcats Stadium, I couldn't find one sign anywhere. The back of the ticket says you can't bring in outside food so I would imagine that they would have included other prohibited items right there.

It would have to be a K-12 school function on a college campus for that law to apply. Otherwise, each college/university might set their own rules, which are not laws.

For instance, if it were a high school game in a college stadium, then there would be legal ramifications.

So....getting all hypothetical with it...

What about the IHSAA Football Championships at Lucal Oil...might that then be illegal to carry (think of the children!!!)

It is a K-12 event, but is it school use, or IHSAA use which, AFAIK, is strictly a governing body and not related to any particular school system or the Dept. of Ed.

What if some 3rd graders were on a field trip to a museum? I can't imagine the law extends these gun controls to every venue that kids ever visit. At least it shouldn't.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What if some 3rd graders were on a field trip to a museum? I can't imagine the law extends these gun controls to every venue that kids ever visit. At least it shouldn't.

And it doesn't.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

It is my understanding that the school would need to have the sole use of the property for their function, and have excluded the general public. If you are sitting in a State Park, and a teacher happens to bring a field trip there, then I can't imagine you would suddenly be a felon.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And it doesn't.

It is my understanding that the school would need to have the sole use of the property for their function, and have excluded the general public. If you are sitting in a State Park, and a teacher happens to bring a field trip there, then I can't imagine you would suddenly be a felon.

This is my understanding also. But your understanding probably came from INGO... Where I've talked about the very scenario several times.

So perhaps YOUR understanding is actually MY understanding? :laugh: :dunno:

-J-

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    The University of Notre Dame has a campus wide ban on weapons........with the exception of LEOs. That said, they do NOT search upon entrance into the stadium.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    This is my understanding also. But your understanding probably came from INGO... Where I've talked about the very scenario several times.

So perhaps YOUR understanding is actually MY understanding? :laugh: :dunno:

-J-

It was mine first! Hah!

Actually, I've read through the code a bunch, talked with a few LEO buddies, and I worked in Education for quite a while. I need to ask my County Prosecutor friend, but he is tired of my bugging him with work-related stuff. Maybe I can bribe him with beer (OK, not bribe. Bad choice of words).

The consensus is..... we have no freaking clue! That's why the law is absurd.

Top Bottom