• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I have a suggestion and the idea is already in place. Every thread is able to be rated from one to five stars. We could use the rating system to let people know what we think of the asking prices. Good price? Three stars. Great price? Five stars. Gouging? One star. Or something like that.

A good price based on who's criteria? Are the stars issued by mob rules or what?

The following isn't directed at anybody....it's just my response to all of the above:

Some people put "FIRM" on their prices to prevent the idiotic lowballs that get thrown at them.

[Glock for sale:$500] "Hey....I know you're asking $500 for the Glock but my dog is sick and just had to have his legs amputated......my cat too. I don't have much money. Will you take $250 CASH? I SAID CASH!!!"

And how many times have you ran across people out there that have more money than sense? Some people will buy without the first bit of 'critical thought process' ever taking place. Do you think that some sellers might be angling for those types of buyers?

If I can add in my FFL fees, shipping costs, extra magazine costs and any of my other costs into the price, and then ultimately have somebody buy it, the end justifies the means. It don't always work out that way. Sometimes it has, but I'll often start there.

I'm just like others on here. I've paid too much for some stuff and got good deals on other items. It's a give and take thing.....with my own "OOOHH I gotta' have that!!" thrown into the mix and messing everything up......heh heh. A person has to work with what they have at the moment. My personal economy seems ebb and flow in cycles at times. Sometimes you're up, sometimes you're down. Still have to play with whatever cards are in your hand at the moment, or don't play at all.

There are different reasons that people sell items for a given asking price. Like somebody else said: some buyers (or sellers) seem to believe that everybody else thinks the same way they do. That's not the case. I don't try to haggle people down on their price and I kinda' get pissed when others try to haggle with me. Some of us are 'up front' on our prices.....we ask for what we want out of an item with no room for dickering around. That's another reason for "FIRM". Don't like the price? Bye. If I don't sell it for what I want, or somebody doesn't make an interesting trade offer, then back into the safe it goes. It'll stay there for my grandkids that don't exist yet or until my dog needs her legs amputated.....whichever comes first. :)

Trading firearms and parts is actually a fun way to get good deals and was probably the origin of the saying "one man's junk is another mans treasure". 'Supply and demand economics' doesn't quite interpret or explain the 'trade' phenomenon very well because you have personal aspects of peoples lives and their firearms needs and wants all intertwined into the deals that sometimes has a way of throwing the dollar value of an item out of the window.

At any rate.....I see no reason for the scorn of fellow INGO members because of asking prices. If you don't like their price, make a cash offer, a trade offer or walk away....but do everybody a favor and STFU. Saying "I can buy it at XXXX cheaper" and then making a big noise about it sounds like something a sore loser would say.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    If you think peoples opinion of the value of their firearms is whacked, you should see what some of these maroons think their bows are worth. Whew!!! Not to hijack a thread, or to even have this conversation continue, but a bow truly depreciates at least 75% when you walk out the dealers door. Guns on the other hand, well sometimes it's a buyers market, sometimes it's a sellers, and at least when you buy a firearm, it's somewhat of an investment. If not in monetary value, but as a family heirloom.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Hey I paid $300 for the gun new , I put 25,000 rounds through it , and bought a $35 holster for it ..

That should make it worth $600 after all I owned it and broke it in for you

Right ?.....:dunno::D:ingo::patriot::laugh:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    OK, I admit, I have found some deals in the classifieds.

What I am wondering is why there are so many ads in the classifieds for gun with accessories at prices that are more than new sale price. I mean over half of the ads are for guns for more than the price of a new one at Walmart and don't include any extras. There are also a ton of adds for guns with accessories that when you add everything up are cheaper to buy new than used.

Just seemed odd to me. I have sold a few guns lately. I usually list them on the classifieds for a week then sell them for more on gunbroker.

I just don't understand why there are so many ads for more than new price for used guns.

And on the other side of the coin are the numerous threads complaining about low ball offers. The complaints about low ball offers are the ones that really make me shake my head. GET OVER IT, if you list something in the classifieds, please note its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Not necessarily what you paid for it. You don't have to accept any offers so stop complaining when someone makes an offer you consider insulting. :twocents:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    And on the other side of the coin are the numerous threads complaining about low ball offers. The complaints about low ball offers are the ones that really make me shake my head. GET OVER IT, if you list something in the classifieds, please note its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Not necessarily what you paid for it. You don't have to accept any offers so stop complaining when someone makes an offer you consider insulting. :twocents:

Thats the truth:yesway:

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I settled insurance claims for years and it doesn't matter to most whether its a gun a car a truck or a house they think it's worth more because it's theirs.

Also you know its much easier to negotiate down than up.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    If I think an item is priced to high I skip it. If I really want it I make an offer than I can afford/make happen. Everyone should know by now that when you try to sell a firearm on the internet people are going to offer you what they want to, no matter if your price says firm or you state only trade would be a Colt, etc. :draw:

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I sold 8 Glocks to one person for what we both thought was fair, fair because he was willing to pay me a certain amount and I was willing to accept that amount. If the buyer is willing to pay it and the seller is willing to accept it, it is a fair deal. Blue books and other peoples opinions mean nothing, when two people agree on a price, it's fair.

Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    My take on it... Everybody thinks they need a "deal". If I were to list an item at an attractive price, they still want to give you a lower offer. If you start high, ;et them offer something lower, then you get out of it what you needed, and the buyer thinks he got his deal.

Some people are weird like that.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Not sure if anyones said this (probly with all these pages someone has) but when i post stuff in the classifieds i ask for more than i want so someone can talk me down a little and we're both happy. OBO = FTW

Just4Fun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Carmel
    It is all about supply and demand. I once posted a 22 pistol (on another site) for what I thought was a reasonable price. I was surprised how many responses I got. Everything from $50 below my asking price to $20 more. The guy had shot the model of gun I was selling when he was a kid and always wanted one of his own. Now he is happy and so am I.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Agree. I have the email notification turn on, so if I get a PM, I get an email telling me so. The PM sent thing is a bit of annoying.

I'm surprise I haven't jump in the thread about all the gouge in the market place or at the local gun shows. The only things I can think of are the obvious; the seller got gouged in the first place and is trying to pass it along. No thank you. Or the "private" party sale of no paper work effect, they think they can get more for it by not requiring any goberment paper work trail. Too each their own.

Hey I'm not going to pay more than retail for a used item. Just like I don't go to auctions to pay more than retail. And yes it's a free market, ask what you want to ask for your stuff.

I put items here for sale at very fair prices. All items have sold quickly. Don't under value your items but if you need fast cash then go ahead and take it to a pawn shop.

Babbling rant out...

Muntz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Ever buy a Harley? Everyone thinks they are worht more than they are. Dealers tend to be the biggest offenders. They all think they should get 100% of their customized add ons. Part of the problem is that what one person thinks looks great the other may not think so. Your rarely get your money back for the customization of anything. Guns are no different.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    if its a cash sale willing to accept offers, I try to bid down 20 or 25$. If its a trade I think of value and would rather be the one on the negative end, because i can always customize later.

Top Bottom