• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    people think there used stuff is worth more than what it actually is. theyll buy it new and want to make money off it...but used is used doesnt matter if its 1 round or 1000, its used. i look at the classifieds if i need a good :rolleyes: :laugh:

i love it when people list mosin nagants for 150 or something rediculous.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    Prices can vary on what part of the state you are in aswell. I know prices in Indy are lower than where I live in Southern Indiana. And thats by about 10%-20%, and then tax on top of that.

But then you get the people that what to low ball and say will able or gunbroker has is for this. A lot of people dont understand that their listing are cash prices only and if you pay by CC or something else they add 5%-10% more. Then after that you are still paying tax and then a FFL fee of $25+ .

I guess it just depends on what side of the stick youre on.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    but used is used doesnt matter if its 1 round or 1000, its used.

That's the way I see it, but the round count does give me some idea of what I'm willing to pay. I was trying to buy glock from a guy south of indy who just wouldn't budge on his gun because he XXX.XX for it, which was about $100 more than it should have. He didn't see the gun having less value because it was used and to the best of my knowledge it never sold. I ended up getting a better deal on a brand new one through 21st anyway so I couldn't be happier about how it worked out.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Maybe they are just testing the waters and don't really "want" to sell their guns, but will if the price is right. I noticed that too though. I pretty much know what most firearms are selling for in this region because I frequent the local shops at least once a week. Some of the things I see listed here literally crack me up, but hey if someone is willing to pay it I say go for it!

762minigun

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indianapolis SS BG
    I think there should be a wanting to trade section... Not only are half the listings just ridiculously priced, They have ridiculous trade needs. I think the horse traders need their own section. I very rarely want to trade.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I think that Disposable Heart may be on to something. Folks that paid a game show price for their goods will feel the need to ask for more money. That and a bit of built in dicker or wiggle room perhaps would be my guess.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    First off by no means am I an authority on gun prices. However, I frequent local shops, online gun dealers, gunbroker, etc (especially if there is a particular model I am looking for). It seems like the majority of folks posting in the classifieds want a new price for a used gun (or in some cases more than new price, but maybe they will throw in a cheap holster or box of shells). The guns that sell quick are priced reasonably.

Just like another thread on here that concerned gun shop trade in values or lack their of. As with most things, the moment you buy it (gun, car, boat, etc) and walk out the store that item loses retail value.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Two things come to mind:

First: Typical Prices are "asking" prices (some guys do say "firm" occasionally). Just like the car dealer, they are going to start out a bit high so they have some room to deal back and forth and come down in price a bit. At the end of the day, most guys know what their bottom dollar is, and if they can get more, great. I was at a Gun show this weekend looking at $375 SKS's in non matching, picked up off the ground condition. That's a $200 gun at most in today's world, but perhaps there is someone who'd say...would ya take $325 cash on that?

Second: Some folks are probably taking into consideration FFL/Shipping / Driving an hour or more on the meet up and want to actually make some profit on the deal.

Overall, the phrase "Caveat Emptor" - let the buyer beware - is still in play on all of this.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What floors me when I see people selling guns is when they have no idea how many people have owned it before them, but it's like new. I've walked away from deals because of that. I don't mind being second in line to save money, but after 2nd owner the price/value drops a lot for me.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Why's it matter what price someone prices their ad at? If you don't like it, just click on another ad. There's just way too many complaining about ads on this board. If you don't agree with it, just don't read it!
    Besides, like somebody already said, in this economy, you have to get every bit that you can. I would price it a little high, and agree to sell on a much lower number, that way everyone feels like they got a good deal.

Yoder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Owen County
    A lot of people still want Obama prices for their guns. The days of $1200 Bushmaster M4geries are over. The few months immediately following his election you could sell used guns at new prices be because new ones were hard to find. There were some people trying to keep the fear of a ban alive for a while but that has mostly died down.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I just posted several items in the classifieds, so I'll give my 2 cents (which is about all it's worth).

I think everyone's thoughts have some validity.

First, if I'm going to try to sell but don't NEED to sell, I'm going to try to make a little more. Kind of shooting for the moon if you will. You've got some people that won't sell a gun. You hear some talk about how guns hold their value. Now here's a thread that says sellers are asking too much. If you're the seller you want to get all you can. If you're the buyer you want a good deal. And the NEED/WANT factor comes to play for the buyer too.

Second, I'm realistic enough to know sometimes I have gotten a good deal when I purchase, and other times not so much. So, I might take a loss or break even if I want to move a gun. But again, there is a need factor. Unless I'm down on my luck, they aren't eating anything in my safe.

Inflating the asking price also gives you room to come down when/if you get an offer. And everyone gets to feel like they did ok. If you look at a price and don't like it, but don't make an offer, then you might have missed out.

I think I take care of my firearms, and truly barely use most of them (which is why I feel the slight need to move some along) and so I feel like they are worth a little more than your run of the mill beat upon pieces. I try to gauge what things are selling for on gunbroker and at the shops and price accordingly, but I'm not always right. And you save FFL transfer fees buying from an individual, and sales tax too. There are some benefits.

I'm not sure I added anything useful to this discussion. But if my ads were what prompted this, feel free to make me an offer!! :D

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'm not sure I added anything useful to this discussion. But if my ads were what prompted this, feel free to make me an offer!! :D

People have different points of view on negotiating. Some are fine with it, others detest it. I'm in the latter group. I've negotiated just once for a gun that I really wanted to get the price to an acceptable range, not to simply save some money and "get something on" the seller.

Most of the time, I will just go on and not consider giving that seller my money. Either the asking price is fair, or it is a lost sale. I do not feel better for dickering. Not sure why some think that everyone feels the same as they do.

superstorm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2009
    SW Fort Wayne
    I agree with several response here if you take good care of your guns and they are in great shape you should get a good price for them. Like he said you save transfer fees plus sales tax. Some people don't understand some of these guns have high dollar scopes on them and they would like to recoup some of the money they have in them. I have been collecting guns for 30+ years I have not seen to many guns out of line.If you think the price is to high shoot an offer the seller can accept it or deny it.I have some guns I paid to much for but they were what I wanted and some you can't build for what they are asking.I find people on here will be fair if you let them.

nismoz33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Lawrenceburg HVL
    Unless the rules have changed, you are not allowed to PM regarding an item listed in Classifieds. Of course you can still do it, but it is against the Classified Rules! If someone sees a great deal, it might be worth paying the $10 ($11 throught paypal) to become a Site Supporter, then you can skip the 50 post rule (unless the rules have changed).

I'm all for supporting this site. I didn't realize that was an option. To the UserCP!

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I just don't understand why there are so many ads for more than new price for used guns.

There are probably a thousand reasons. Maybe they bought an EBR during one of the "scares" when they had to pay premium prices. Maybe they bought it at Don's, and had to pay MSRP + $100. Maybe it's old, and they think a vintage gun should bring more than a newly made gun. Maybe it's just that they added some dickering room.

It's also difficult for some to determine what "new" price is, when places like Don's and Gander Mountain charge significantly more than Bradis or Beech Grove Firearms for the exact same gun or accessory.

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Security122
    Unless the rules have changed, you are not allowed to PM regarding an item listed in Classifieds. Of course you can still do it, but it is against the Classified Rules! If someone sees a great deal, it might be worth paying the $10 ($11 throught paypal) to become a Site Supporter, then you can skip the 50 post rule (unless the rules have changed).

I'm all for supporting this site. I didn't realize that was an option. To the UserCP!

YEA FOR Me! I should get a Mod "attaboy" for this one! :D

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    People have different points of view on negotiating. Some are fine with it, others detest it. I'm in the latter group. I've negotiated just once for a gun that I really wanted to get the price to an acceptable range, not to simply save some money and "get something on" the seller.

Most of the time, I will just go on and not consider giving that seller my money. Either the asking price is fair, or it is a lost sale. I do not feel better for dickering. Not sure why some think that everyone feels the same as they do.

You and I are very close in this regard. If I sell something, I try to find the prices of the same item - used - at *reasonably* priced gunshops... I make sure my price is less than theirs. I look at others for sale, or recently for sale, and base it there - usually a bit less.

If someone I like offers a few bucks less, I might take it. Otherwise, I list it at a fair price. If it doesn't sell for the asking price in a few days, I'll drop it. I'll continue to drop it - assuming I've truly priced it too high or the market is too narrow for the specific item - until I reach a point that I would rather keep it before selling it for that price.

I really don't "price it high" or for "wiggle room" just to make folks "feel better" or like they "got a deal." It just feels a lil slimy/deceitful to me - like wanting my wife to fake an orgasm :):- but then again my views are often a bit too literal. It's in my genetics.

A lowballer? Why I'm likely to respond with a thanks-but-no-thanks and they may not be considered later as I drop the price.

What I don't get are the folks with the almighty PM SENT who feel that their lowball price gives them some kind of negotiating "dibs" on my item to the delay of buyers who would give me the asking price.

Um... I don't think so.

Last edited:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Some of the people are selling them for a lot less than what they paid for them....If they bought them at Don's

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    What I don't get are the folks with the almighty PM SENT who feel that their lowball price gives them some kind of negotiating "dibs" on my item to the delay of buyers who would give me the asking price.
    Um... I don't think so.

The PM sent message always makes me pause. Then I look for a *bump* to tell me no deal has been made. Maybe people post the "PM sent" to keep others away, or make them pause. Or maybe they do it simply because they see it used so much. There really isn't any good point to post "PM sent," because if the Seller is online, they would know they have a PM, wouldn't they?:dunno:

Top Bottom