• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is any alcohol consumption safe when carrying a firearm?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

omfg_abe_simpson_in_and_out-1.gif

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Actually, on the rare occasion that I do shoot while noticeably intoxicated, my accuracy tends to be as good or better. Muscle memory takes over, and the mental focus that I have left is entirely focused on the task at hand.

I've never shot a gun when I was drinking, but I think I'd see the same thing. I have a hand tremor from an old nerve injury. Most of the time it's barely noticeable, but if I'm anxious or exited, it gets more pronounced. Usually, at the range my accuracy isn't that good when I start, but after a few shots and I relax into it, it gets better and better. Now, I shoot at a public range and I always go during the week in the morning, and I don't see myself having a few pops in the morning to help me shoot better. People might tend to get the wrong idea if they smell whiskey on a guy's breath at 10am, so maybe I'll never know for sure.

Say what you want, but if someone busts into my house with evil intent, I'd more likely be able to hold steady if I was drunk than not.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    If you truly need to use your firearm, you better have it with you regardless of having drank alcohol and the possible court argument that may ensue.

The same people and stuff you leave behind if you don't survive the situation where you needed your gun.

Bahahahah....ATM... A.K.A. Brick Wall

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My responsibility to drink doesn't end simply because I've decided to protect myself or my family.

I think I have that right.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Dumb idea period . Alcohol will make you do stupid things in public .

Alcohol doesn't "make" you do anything. It removed your inhibitions so that you will do more than typical. You still have free will and make your own decisions when drunk. Just more likely to make poor decisions.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Know thyself. Are you an aggressive, loud, and annoying drunk? Maybe carrying while drunk isn't for you. I'll carry while having a few beers, except out of state since LEOSA protection goes away if you are under the influence (with no limit set in code). I can't think of the last time I was actually drunk. I just don't drink like that any longer, and haven't for a looong time.

DING DING DING!!! If you're an obnoxious drunk, you probably shouldn't drink to the point you're ever drunk whether you carry or not. If you're afraid you're going to do something stupid/can't control yourself when you're drunk, you probably shouldn't drink.

As others have said.

Perfectly legal. You have the same rights either way, and are protected by the same laws.

As for alcohol MAKING you do something stupid... Alcohol can't make you do anything. If you CHOOSE to drink, especially to the point (or beyond) of intoxication, then that is on you. Not the booze.

Is drinking, or taking ANY other intoxicating substance (pain pills, pot, whatever) a great idea when you are doing ANYTHING that needs your attention? Like, carrying a gun, working with power tools, operating machinery, etc...? Probably not. Is it illegal? Only if you are driving. Should you be accountable for your actions? Of course.

We have another DING DING DING!!!!

Alcohol doesn't "make" you do anything. It removed your inhibitions so that you will do more than typical. You still have free will and make your own decisions when drunk. Just more likely to make poor decisions.

My poorest decisions have been made stone cold sober but even sloppy drunk, I'd rather remain as chilled out as possible. I think the majority of people that blame the stupid on alcohol are just using it as an excuse for bottled up stupid that seeps out at times. Most people that I know that do dumb stuff after drinking also do the exact same kind of stupid crap while sober.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I personally don't drink and drive, nor do I drink and carry a handgun; however, BOTH are easy for me since I don't drink at all. I wouldn't judge anyone who does drink and drive or drink and carry as long as it's in moderation.

:yesway:.........same ........have end'd 2 marriages over booze'n an' bars.......

FFJakeT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Ill carry when and where I please. Even if I'm drinking. I don't handle my gun in public regardless. If i do drink I conceal carry not OC, even though I carry both ways sober. About a 12-18 months ago I had a guy that I went HS go downtown with 2 buddies , the occasion was one was getting ready to go to the Navy I believe. Anyways, they are walking and he gets mugged, I believe his buddies were walking in the same general area as he was. The muggers run off, never found. The guy spent weeks/months in the hospital, severe brain swelling , grim hope for recovery, etc. he made full recovery, but some of you are saying that because he had some beers and a couple shots he and his friends don't have the right to defend themselves or their friends/ loved ones? Your comments are bad, and you should feel bad. I go out with my fiancé and friends sometimes , typically with most of the guys carrying. I have the right to go to a bar, have fun, walk out of there, and if something horrific should happen, defend myself and my soon to be bride.

I will say this, alcohol and guns don't mix, drinking a fifth of whiskey and going to the range where guns are being handled CONSTANTLY, not the greatest thought. But this is a argument over alcohol and RIGHTS, not alcohol and guns.

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    It certainly is not be illegal (in Indiana) to drink and carry. However, it would take far too many laws to cover all of the 'bad ideas'!

Because it is legal it becomes a choice everyone has to make for themselves. I choose to drink in safe locations where I don't feel a need to carry (my home or that of trusted friends) and luckily I do not have to drink to enjoy a dinner out with my wife and family.

Have you ever tried to do anything which required precision and focus while intoxicated, even 'just a drink or two'? Take a combat stress class and learn how each of us may react in stressful (combat) situations. Do you really want to add alcohol to that mix?

Most agree that alcohol impairs us to varying degrees. I'd rather not test my ability to react in a stressful situation (like drawing me weapon) while under the 'intoxicating' effect of alcohol. I am just as concerned for innocents as I am protecting myself and those around me and I could not live with myself if I lost my edge (because of alcohol) and injured or killed an innocent.

...how many times have I heard "I drive better with a few drinks"? ...I don't believe that for a second!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Well ill be honest, if I was drunk and drew my gun I'd probably drop it knowing my luck.
    im kidding of course. Anyone who's read through this thread knows my view on this. One beer? It's ok. One-fifth, no it's a bad idea.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    As we have learned from the masterful movie The Seven Samurai: "A samurai may drink, but he will never get drunk and lose his vigilance." Or something like that. You need to know how much you can consume before you lose your situational awareness and your ability to defend yourself. Then you have to have the discipline to drink only that much.

Or hand your gun to the "designated shooter," and go at it!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just for the record, I went to the local brewery 3 mi from my house this Saturday, enjoyed some pints, some good bar-food, and carried the whole time and not a single stupid thing was done even though I was well above legal driving limit... alcohol doesn't make you do stupid thing... stupid people do stupid things. There are many people out there that aren't stupid, and don't act stupid when under the influence...

Top Bottom