• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is any alcohol consumption safe when carrying a firearm?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    You know why people wanna ban guns? Because of people doing stupid things like getting drunk while carrying a gun. Tell me who can get plastered then shoot a dime a seven yards. No one so why carry a gun? You carry a gun, be safe about it. Guns aren't toys, they're tools for self defense. If you can't hammer nails in a board straight while drunk, what good is the hammer? Same with a gun. The bottom line with guns is you must be safeIf we want to keep our guns, we have to prove we are smart enough to have them. Getting drunk and carrying a loaded gun is plain out stupid. Sorry, my mind is made up on this, there's no changing it.

Its worth noting that there is a difference in drunk and having a drink. Also, people are impaired when they are tired, taking some allergy meds, cold meds, heck even with allergies and not taking meds. I doubt anyone wouldn't carry in those situations. You can be "impiared" when you are cold, or wearing winter gloves that interfere with trigger control and grip, or your glasses get knocked off by an attacker and you can't see well. Impaired when your adrenaline is through the roof and you have auditory exclusion, tunnel vision and reduced motor skills.

Granted this is symantics and many things that would impair you are non-selective, and the exact reasons you would use your firearm, but you can see the point. We won't likely be shooting in optimal conditions, that are free from impairment.

None of those other things prevent me from carrying, because I have the right to protect myself regardless. Big boy rules apply, and the level to which you apply them is definitely a personal choice. There is certainly nothing wrong with not having a drink when you carry. Nothing at all.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    IMHO, and as a personal choice, I don't drink and carry at the same time. While I do like to get my drink on, I don't feel it is a good choice for me to get lit and have a firearm on me. If I am impaired, I am less aware of my surroundings, and less able to respond mentally and physically. As such, if I plan to drink, it is at home, in the relative safety of my own home. Less hassle with a shoot, less exposure to possible legal troubles. :twocents:

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I have been drunk many time and carried a few of them. If I had to use it I would be more concerned with my aim than my judgement. Then again, I don't carry so I can show off. I'm not talking about OCers I'm talking about the guy who pulled out his EMP at the bar to show his buddy (read about that on here).

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Its worth noting that there is a difference in drunk and having a drink. Also, people are impaired when they are tired, taking some allergy meds, cold meds, heck even with allergies and not taking meds. I doubt anyone wouldn't carry in those situations. You can be "impiared" when you are cold, or wearing winter gloves that interfere with trigger control and grip, or your glasses get knocked off by an attacker and you can't see well. Impaired when your adrenaline is through the roof and you have auditory exclusion, tunnel vision and reduced motor skills.

Granted this is symantics and many things that would impair you are non-selective, and the exact reasons you would use your firearm, but you can see the point. We won't likely be shooting in optimal conditions, that are free from impairment.

None of those other things prevent me from carrying, because I have the right to protect myself regardless. Big boy rules apply, and the level to which you apply them is definitely a personal choice. There is certainly nothing wrong with not having a drink when you carry. Nothing at all.

I would hazard a guess that 99% of this board could't shoot a dime at 7 yards when they're sober as a Nun.

Maybe they should't be carrying a gun either.
    I did vote for the drink or two option. If you're sober enough to drive, then caring a gun is ok too. And 7 yards is 21 feet. My dad can shoot a .22 hole and shoot that same hole over and over at that distance, I've watched him do it and I've shot a dime size hole at about the same distance. Not all self defense happens up close and personal. I just don't see how carrying a gun s***faced is a good idea. If you used it, the jury would say you wasn't of sound mind to use it, it's as simple as that. Yes, I know we're gonna hear about the whole being tired and cold as impairing your judgement but alcohol is a mind altering substance, lack of sleep isn't in a court of law. Doing things like this only damages the right to carry.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I did vote for the drink or two option. If you're sober enough to drive, then caring a gun is ok too. And 7 yards is 21 feet. My dad can shoot a .22 hole and shoot that same hole over and over at that distance, I've watched him do it and I've shot a dime size hole at about the same distance. Not all self defense happens up close and personal. I just don't see how carrying a gun s***faced is a good idea. If you used it, the jury would say you wasn't of sound mind to use it, it's as simple as that. Yes, I know we're gonna hear about the whole being tired and cold as impairing your judgement but alcohol is a mind altering substance, lack of sleep isn't in a court of law. Doing things like this only damages the right to carry.

I won't argue with that.

I will say there is a big difference between bullseye shooting and combat shooting. Congrats if you can shoot dimes on demand, but if you take the time to do that in a gunfight, it may be too late :)

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I don't need to hit a dime at 21 feet, just need to hit a man sized target at close range. IIRC most self defense shootings are at much less than 21 feet. More like 6 feet. Everybody is different. Some people can't tie their shoes after one glass of wine, some people can drink a 6 pack and you would never know it. I've carried everyday since 1985, and I've been hammered on more than a few of those days, my firearm has never left it's holster on any of those occasions. Bad idea? Maybe. Have I just been lucky? Possibly. Saying that no one should ever carry after having any amount of alcohol whatsoever, is as idiotic as the rest of the " zero tolerance" policies/laws that we have in this Country. Just my opinion. Your mileage WILL vary. Not trying to change anyone's mind , just stating my experience.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Actually, on the rare occasion that I do shoot while noticeably intoxicated, my accuracy tends to be as good or better. Muscle memory takes over, and the mental focus that I have left is entirely focused on the task at hand.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I won't argue with that.

I will say there is a big difference between bullseye shooting and combat shooting. Congrats if you can shoot dimes on demand, but if you take the time to do that in a gunfight, it may be too late :)
    Haha ok I'm sorry about the dime analogy. I'm just stressing the a safety issue behind it and got carried away. I just feel like being drunk, falling down drunk, plastered, would end bad for someone carrying. I guess if some of us can get away with it safely then that's good, but a jury won't hear "self-defense" they'll hear "intoxicated, under the influence of alcohol." Then the anti gunners will get wind of this. Lets try not to help their side anymore then we have to.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Haha ok I'm sorry about the dime analogy. I'm just stressing the a safety issue behind it and got carried away. I just feel like being drunk, falling down drunk, plastered, would end bad for someone carrying. I guess if some of us can get away with it safely then that's good, but a jury won't hear "self-defense" they'll hear "intoxicated, under the influence of alcohol." Then the anti gunners will get wind of this. Lets try not to help their side anymore then we have to.

I see no flaws in your logic:yesway:

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    If you are caught in a situation where you need to use your firearm and the [other side's] attorney gets wind of alcohol being involved, it's a fair assumption that you would probably lose the case. In these days where many have the mindset of being against protecting yourself, you will already have a hard time without adding alcohol to the mix.

Many people can drink and drive past the legal limit without getting into an accident, but it's when you do that the SHTF. Same with carrying while drinking.

Maybe think about who, or what you leave behind as you go to prison for a [righteous shoot] that turned into manslaughter because you had been drinking....

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If you are caught in a situation where you need to use your firearm...

If you truly need to use your firearm, you better have it with you regardless of having drank alcohol and the possible court argument that may ensue.

Maybe think about who, or what you leave behind as you go to prison for a [righteous shoot] that turned into manslaughter because you had been drinking....

The same people and stuff you leave behind if you don't survive the situation where you needed your gun.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    My personal policy is that if I carry I don't drink and if I drink I don't carry. I don't care who you are, unless you are a functional alcoholic even one drink can slow your response time, because as we all know alcohol is a depressant. And if I have to pull my weapon I don't want to be slower than the other guy. And if I see a need to do so it is because most often the other guy has his weapon out and I am already at a disadvantage. I can't afford to have my reflexes impaired to any extent. If they were and that got a loved one or someone else injured or killed I'm not sure how I would live with it.

Then there is the thing where if something does go down and you shoot someone and it becomes record that you had even one drink, let alone 2 or 3 or God forbid more, you dramatically increase your chances of going to jail. Likely exponentially more for every additional drink you had. If you should survive the criminal case chances are much greater that you won't come away clean in the Civil Suit that you have to know will follow.

When I am hunting my hunting partner and I make it a point to stay clear of anyone that we see drinking and handling a weapon and have a certain level of disdain for those that we notice drinking and carrying a firearm. That having been said, I have twice been on the town carrying and forgotten that I was armed and ordered a drink and then realized that I was after purchasing. The first time I nursed my drink for over an hour and the second I sat down and handed it to my wife without taking a sip. She looked at her drink and then me with a curious look on her face. I reminded her that I was carrying and bought the drink without thinking about it. She smiled at me and said, "looks like I've got a DD tonight" and proceeded to have a really good time.

I spent a few years working the door in a few bars and came to the same conclusion about guns and alcohol as drinking and driving, IT AIN'T WORTH IT!! Not even a little bit.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Alcohol and fireworks, firearms, quads, dirtbikes and or jeeps are not a good combination.

But they can be a lot of fun.

If your too drunk to drive, then you are too drunk to USE a firearm. Maybe, Probably, or it depends....

There is a big difference between driving drunk and carrying a concealed weapon while drunk.

Driving while intoxicated is a action taken that is not safe.

Carrying while drunk is a a state of being. As long as the fire arm stays in its holster, there is not a unsafe action.

Keep it in the holster and its like change in the pocket that one cannot spend.

Top Bottom