• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is any alcohol consumption safe when carrying a firearm?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I personally don't drink and drive, nor do I drink and carry a handgun; however, BOTH are easy for me since I don't drink at all. I wouldn't judge anyone who does drink and drive or drink and carry as long as it's in moderation.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It depends. It depends on the person, how affected they are by it, how much they've had to drink, etc.

I don't think the answer is 0 but if you're not sure of yourself, it's not a bad baseline to operate from.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Do what you want as long as you don't break the law or hurt anyone. Just because someone decides to get intoxicated they don't waive their right to self preservation in my opinion...of course you better be ready to except any consequences of your actions no matter how drunk you are.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. ~Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i believe any alcohol is a bad idea when handling firearms. But what's right for me might not be right for you. Be responsible and be prepared for the consequences of your actions- booze or no booze.:yesway:

CMac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    B-town
    Let me preface this by saying I'm a drinker. I really enjoy a good beer, and sometimes several bad ones.

I carry so that I can use my firearm if needed. If that happens I assume I will end up in court one way or another. If I have ANY mind altering drug in my system it will be used against me. I might even go way overboard and not drink energy drinks while armed.

Again, I'm all for drinking, but if i'm not in my castle, I don't want the beer I had with dinner to send me to jail.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    I dont get drunk.. I have much better things to do with my time and I have no desire to do it. Having said that, would I ever get hammered while carrying? No. Will I go out to a restaurant or sit and home and have a beer with my dinner while carrying? Yes.

Polished515

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Muncie
    Not a drinker. But my husband and I will have a drink on occasion. It is understood though that if one of us has a drink then other does not and we are generally together when the drink is ingested. Therefore there is always at least one stone cold sober person to drive, carry, and protect. We never get drunk though and I couldn't imagine being drunk and getting into a situation where I'd have to unholster.
    As for other people, none of my business. But don't get drunk and wave your firearm around like a damn fool. You're bound to have the cops called on you or have someone else draw on you if you are making people nervous. I don't deal with drunks. Had enough of that to last several lifetimes.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't get sloppy drunk, but if I did, I wouldn't start handling my weapon (which is ALWAYS on my person). Keep in mind that highly intoxicated individuals are seen, by bad guys, as easy prey. Sure, you may be in a trick bag if you have to use your firearm to defend yourself, but I'd rather be in "trick" bag, than a "body" bag.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The only thing we need to learn from this:

If you're going to drink and carry, which I do... and I don't care if you do....

Make sure you don't get into an altercation with a 17 year old minority. Your toxicology report will destroy you if the media doesn't.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Know thyself. Are you an aggressive, loud, and annoying drunk? Maybe carrying while drunk isn't for you. I'll carry while having a few beers, except out of state since LEOSA protection goes away if you are under the influence (with no limit set in code). I can't think of the last time I was actually drunk. I just don't drink like that any longer, and haven't for a looong time.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The only thing we need to learn from this:

If you're going to drink and carry, which I do... and I don't care if you do....

Make sure you don't get into an altercation with a 17 year old minority. Your toxicology report will destroy you if the media doesn't.

I don't think Zimmerman submitted to one. Which is IMO odd.

Top Bottom