• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Does anyone else surf this website looking for reasonable prices?

Between the reserve prices and the starting bids, both set by the seller, I find it a waste of time to look there.

It's actually almost funny that people post and repost the same item, on which the buyers never meet the reserve. You would think according to the supply and demand analysis that the seller would see that there really isn't a market for his gun at X price, and he would either take it off the market, or reduce the price.

If GB charged some nominal fee for simply listing, rather than a commission for selling, you might see more rational selling going on.:twocents:

If not GB, is there any other good online auction site, especially for surplus rifles?

Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    I buy my guns almost exclusively on gunbroker.

You just have to look around for decent prices and ignore the dealers that relist their products every week for insane prices. Compared to the prices @ some LGS' its still a good bit cheaper.

I enjoy the hunt.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Huh?

There is a reason they call it bargain HUNTING.

If it was easy we'd just call it bargain SHOOTING.:D

It's about being patient and diligent in your search for a good price. Gold nuggets don't just fall in your lap but there are deals on there..:yesway:
    You really have to watch the shipping costs, CC fees, and account for the cost of an FFL transfer in the deal. If it's gonna be worthwhile, price wise, it has to be a real deal. It's more useful to find something you really want badly and are willing to pay a little extra for.:twocents:

dbeattie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    I to have purchased several off there. You just have to look around. Some are higher than local retail. But, sometimes you find a great deal. Picked up some that were brand new and even with shipping and transfer fee were still less than local dealer could match by a bunch.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I've made several purchases off Gunbroker. I put in 50 bids, and get 1 item, but that is ok. One time I'm going to put in 50 bids and get 49 items and really thin the bank account down. I just bought a "parts kit" for a gun that included a slide, I paid $40 for it, I needed one part and got more than I wanted for half the price I was willing to pay.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Bought a few guns through gunbroker, only got ripped off once, and thankfully that was only on some magazines.

Wasn't that much money ($45.00), but gunbroker basically told me to go pound sand. This guy in Chandler, AZ had a good feedback rating, but he decided to go out with a BANG. They told me, he wouldn't answer their emails either, so they had suspended his account, and my only recourse was through local small claims court. Yea right for 45 bucks.

I was lucky, he got a couple of people for big money. Now, I only buy from Indiana sellers or not through gunbroker at all.

I fully understand any auction site, classifieds or Gunbroker is a risk, especially when buying something from a long distance.

But keep in mind, don't count on the gunbroker site for any help if you do get ripped.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive always used the philosophy with gunbroker that you typically have to watch for a while to find what you want. Eventually I have found what is a good deal, but it usually takes some time.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    GunBroker??

I have bought more than several firearms off of GunBroker..I have had good luck with them. I bought what I wanted, for what I would pay for it.
    It is a MUST to have a good, local FFL (Like Aszerigan) to handle your end of the transactions from out of state..Bill

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    It's just like the local gun shows- hit or miss. I agree with the others on waiting for the right gun. If you're patient, you might score a decent deal. If not,rather than BIN, just go to a local dealer. After shipping and ffl, the local dealer would probably be cheaper anyway. Lay-away is kind of a nice feature of local places too! :)

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I made some killer buys on Gunbroker. It is trashed up with dealers with silly prices though. I wish they had a dealers only section and then just a regular guy section. I am on Gunbroker every day looking for new bargains.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I buy and sell on gunbroker.com. It is just like going to garage sales. Sometimes they have what you need at a fair price. Sometimes you will think who would want this? Sometimes the guy thinks his used one is worth more than new. I like gunbroker for obsolete items. If you really want something that is out of production, that is a pretty good place to find it.

j706, each directory under the heading has the "perfered" dealer listings and then you can scroll down to the regular listings. If you click on the "price" header it will arrange the listings by price. I just scroll down to my price point and stop.

We have to realized, the American dollar has less buying power than ever, and the true quality firearms are always going to command a higher price. I remeber when the MSRP of a deluxe Smith & Wesson revolver first broke the $400 mark. I thought that had to be the top. Now $400 only buys a well used model 66.

Last edited:

Bersalover

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 14, 2011
    I have had some success on Gunbroker contacting the selling store/party and asking if they have another like kind model for sale and negotiating from there. Worked twice now! In the past with me they will not negotiate the piece they have listed.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I've bought and sold several times on Gunbroker. Never any problems and got some good deals. Of course you have to dig for them.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    While Gunbroker has become a site used by dealers as a store front, I have gotten some really good deals there.

I picked up one of Beretta's many special edition pistols for a price that to this day I can't believe. The seller set a low price hoping to create a bidding frenzy which usually happens, but in this case it didn't. I put in a bid, and was amazed that nobody else bid against me. I almost cried when I got it, and opened the box to find the pistol in perfect condition. Never dreamed I would own a Beretta 92 EL, but got lucky on Gunbroker.

Gunbroker is also a good reference for people wanting to sell their stuff. Check the sold listings to see what people are actually willing to pay for many hard to find firearms.

As with any online sales outlet, using their feedback is really important. Stick with known good sellers and you normally should not have a problem.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I have found some very good prices on gb.com. I don't however, enjoy having to deal with people and money on the internet. I had to negotiate a way to pay for an item the last time I purchased something from there. Way too much hassle for the small price.

Top Bottom