• What's the best gun to use in wet, rainy weather

• Total voters

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Ok, I am taking an NRA Basic Pistol course this weekend. While WeatherBug doesn't suggest a real chance of rain, I started thinking about the best type of gun to use in wet weather to reduce performance hindrances and prevent moisture related problems.

So, if you knew you were going to be using your firearm in wet, rainy weather, what kind of gun do you think would be best?

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I would suggest training with the firearm you plan on carrying regardless of weather forecast. I would think the more problems(if any) you encounter during training, the better you will be prepared if ever under duress and encounter the same problems.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    take the gun you plan to carry. A gun is a tool and a toy (could be a dangerous toy and not to be used by irresponsibly) and nothing more. Dont worry about the weather and just clean it off when your done.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I like my Glock polymer automatic because it's simple and reliable even when dirty and wet. It's also replaceable for ~$500 at nearly any gun shop nationwide. For practical shooting it's perfect.

you have a question that starts off with "whats the best gun" and one option was a 1911... easy solution...

Funny, but factually inaccurate. The m1911 is a great pistol, but certainly not the final answer to the question "What gun?"

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Always use your carry gun in training classes. Thats the one you need to train with, thats the one you rely on.

Your carry gun should be able to operate flawlessly in ANY weather. If it doesn't, get one that does.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I voted but honestly it really makes ZERO difference. My son and I have many weapons, I can't think of a one that wouldn't function properly in a downpour (or even after being underwater. Might be an issue with some non-crimped reloads if left under water for some minutes - but any sealed commercial or surplus military rounds should work well (as some who have ran a magazine through the washer can testify). Obviously any weapon that has been wet should be cleaned, dried and re-oiled as soon as possible, however many Garands' and 1911s' have been underwater and used for several days without cleaning - hard to take the time when being shot at.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I agree that you should use whatever gun you carry most often, but it's worth noting, that IMO your grip on the gun will be the most important factor related to shooting in the rain. I don't think any modern, quality handgun will have any trouble with rain or moisture for a shooting session, but your grip will suffer. You might try out wet hands on a couple different guns to see how it affects your shooting. Some guns are inherently "grippier" due to stipling or material composition. It may make your consider some type of gloves or modifying your pistol to be "grippier."

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I would suggest training with the firearm you plan on carrying regardless of weather forecast. I would think the more problems(if any) you encounter during training, the better you will be prepared if ever under duress and encounter the same problems.

take the gun you plan to carry. A gun is a tool and a toy (could be a dangerous toy and not to be used by irresponsibly) and nothing more. Dont worry about the weather and just clean it off when your done.

which ever is your go-to gun is what i'd take. make sure you clean AND oil it asap.

As said above take the gun you plan to carry!!!

Always use your carry gun in training classes. Thats the one you need to train with, thats the one you rely on.

Your carry gun should be able to operate flawlessly in ANY weather. If it doesn't, get one that does.

Yes, I know, but I have multiple carry guns. I have 5 weapons that I have been known to carry, for various reasons and functions. My long term goal is to train with all of them, so as to become comfortable with all of them. They all get decent time at the range. I see guns as tools, and I have different tools for different jobs. My question is more of a "which tool would be best for this job?"

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    you have a question that starts off with "whats the best gun" and one option was a 1911... easy solution...

I like my Glock polymer automatic because it's simple and reliable even when dirty and wet. It's also replaceable for ~$500 at nearly any gun shop nationwide. For practical shooting it's perfect.

Funny, but factually inaccurate. The m1911 is a great pistol, but certainly not the final answer to the question "What gun?"

No offense to any parties intended, but I must admit I KNEW someone was gonna make some comment about the 1911's, and I honestly expected more of a Glock fanboy response. JRogers was actually more tame than I expected when I saw "Glock" in the post...

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I agree that you should use whatever gun you carry most often, but it's worth noting, that IMO your grip on the gun will be the most important factor related to shooting in the rain. I don't think any modern, quality handgun will have any trouble with rain or moisture for a shooting session, but your grip will suffer. You might try out wet hands on a couple different guns to see how it affects your shooting. Some guns are inherently "grippier" due to stipling or material composition. It may make your consider some type of gloves or modifying your pistol to be "grippier."

Thanks Scottka, I really hadn't taken that into consideration. That is a totally different variable, but probably more crucial that a weapons composition.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I would take the piece you plan to carry, that is the one you should train with. Take a few cleaning supplies along so you can address any moisture issues at the end of the day if the need should arise.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

But...I use my backup gun in training classes...

Of course, it just so happens that my backup gun is set up exactly the same as my main carry gun...

Jakob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Indianapolis

A friend asked me the other day what pistol he should get, UNANIMOUSLY myself and a friend said "1911!"

Can't go wrong. If you only need one gun for the rest of your life.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Just dry it clean it and lube it afterward. It'd be fine. Sometimes no matter how nasty the weather is, and you just have to use it, use it. My service pistol was steel and it didn't have any rust on it when I returned it. I had used it in all kind of weather you can imagine.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm less concerned with the type of action or constructon materials, than with the grip. For instance, my XD is kinda hard to hold onto when it is well below 32*, I have gloves on, and I'm sweating. I need to get some rubberized texture grips for it. And then go practice some more.

I'm of the opinion that about any QUALITY handgun will technically work for most situations. The user is the main variable. Find something that fits, that you can work, and then work on the situation-dependent stuff as it comes up.

Top Bottom