• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Sounds like she needed the gun, no? Women who might be hurt by their husbands sound like good candidates for gun ownership. Of course, if her husband is a cop then no one expects a cop to do something like this.

Cops are people, too, no more and no less perfect than anyone else.

I don't think anyone expected this :(

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Everyone here should take this as a lesson as to what seems to happen when average people get thrown into the national spotlight. There are numerous examples of people all over the political spectrum who end up with attention they didn't want, and end up with many negative consequences. I know we have some die hard open carriers here, and to each their own. That being said, openly carrying a handgun is at odds with what is considered normal, current behavior. The open carrying of handguns, especially out in public, will be considered a sensational story by news media. Sensationalism sells, depending on certain factors. Rightly or wrongly, if you open carry, you need to be prepared for a possible media onslaught and even political hatchet jobs.

Handgun carry licenses are given out by politically elected or appointed people (either the sheriff, or an LEO who is appointed police chief, town marshal, etc). I can tell you right now that when people make a stink, and that stink is louder than the other side, _some_ political folks who fear losing their job will take action. You could easily find yourself at a state police hearing on if you should keep your gun or not. I am not saying it is right or wrong, that is just the way it is. You may totally be vindicated officially, but if you go to the media with such sensationalism, they _may_ flock your way. If the media considers the story is sensational and it goes national, all sorts of media will plaster your picture and story on their websites/papers/TV. Then, and this is when things get bad, the opinionated political foes will dig into your past, grab MySpace/Facebook postings/photos, they will look into the past of your loved ones, etc.. Anything negative will be out for the whole world to see.

This could cause added stress to the family unit, or within the extended family realm. As such, a happy marriage could easily be totally destroyed by a media blitz and focus on one spouse. This could also change a person, causing them personal stress they originally thought they could handle. Things could get even worse, causing one or both parties to start doing things no one would ever think they were capable of. When emotions run high, people may change their behavior. There are always good cops who seem to be OK for 10 years on the job, then all of a sudden something happens in their life (either on the job or off), and the next thing you know they are the news for doing something that wasn't right. Even with non-cops, we always see the neighbors and friends saying "I can't believe so and so would be capable of that!" Never under estimate how humans can respond to certain stimuli. Then ask yourself if you and your family would be able to cope with the onslaught of the national press and certain people out there looking to destroy your character, your family's character, etc.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I don't think anyone expected this :(

Why not expect it? Look at what regional and national attention does to people:

#1: The lady from Indiana the democrat party rolled out to fight voter ID. The other side digs into her past. Claims she lives mostly in Indiana, but has Florida license plates. Then they find out she is actually registered not only to vote in Indiana, but also Florida. She could vote in Indiana, get on a plane, and vote in Florida and cast two votes for president of the US. Then when people question her about this, she doesn't respond. This isn't even that bad.

#2: Sarah Palin. To many things to even mention.

#3: The old lady down in Texas or Oklahoma who got tasered as she was being arrested for failing to sign her ticket. She is on the news claiming she wasn't rude or anything. Dash cam video is released and then she is no longer talking to the media because dash cam shows her horrible behavior.

#4: Oklahoma City pharmacist who shot and killed robber. Goes out to the media, says things that are not true, hires a lawyer who does a horrible job in letting him give an interview. Then the tape comes out and he is in jail. The debate over his guilt isn't the issue here, but his coming out right to the media will likely hurt him at trial.

#5: The cops who arrested the black Harvard Prof.. Anyone can find his name with a basic search, and his name and reputation is now and forever associated with this one incident.

There are many, many more instances where instant, national fame, especially one that will get some people to dig into your past, can cause a person to change. 15 mins. of fame has changed many people, some for the good, some for the bad. It is hard telling what happened here in this case. What we do know is that prior to the media firestorm, we seemingly had a loving family. Would the outcome had been the same had she taken the path she did? Who knows. It just seems that when people walk into the spotlight, if the story goes national, they end up getting more focus than I think they thought they would get. I am not saying people should just roll over and not fight for their rights, but do it through an attorney and decide how long you want to fight. In this case, she got her permit back, but yet she still had to sue for damages that totaled one million dollars? So her business suffered. Maybe those people didn't want their kids around guns? The question remains, how much did she _actually_ suffer and would she suffer the same in the future? Say she lost $10K/year, and say she worked for 25 more years. So total she would be out $250K, yet she wants four times that amount.

Just remember, pick your battles, and if you need to fight for your rights, do so through your lawyer and the courts, not through the media unless absolutely necessary. Oh, once your news, your news for life. Anything that happens to you will automatically be nationwide news, as least at some level. This case here is a perfect example.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Everyone here should take this as a lesson as to what seems to happen when average people get thrown into the national spotlight. There are numerous examples of people all over the political spectrum who end up with attention they didn't want, and end up with many negative consequences. I know we have some die hard open carriers here, and to each their own. That being said, openly carrying a handgun is at odds with what is considered normal, current behavior. The open carrying of handguns, especially out in public, will be considered a sensational story by news media. Sensationalism sells, depending on certain factors. Rightly or wrongly, if you open carry, you need to be prepared for a possible media onslaught and even political hatchet jobs.
    snip.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Buying a gun doesn't magically transform some one from a moron to a genius or from being a mean jerk to suddenly my friend.

Gun owners are just people just like every one else.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Handgun carry licenses are given out by politically elected or appointed people (either the sheriff, or an LEO who is appointed police chief, town marshal, etc). I can tell you right now that when people make a stink, and that stink is louder than the other side, _some_ political folks who fear losing their job will take action. You could easily find yourself at a state police hearing on if you should keep your gun or not. I am not saying it is right or wrong, that is just the way it is. You may totally be vindicated officially, but if you go to the media with such sensationalism, they _may_ flock your way. If the media considers the story is sensational and it goes national, all sorts of media will plaster your picture and story on their websites/papers/TV. Then, and this is when things get bad, the opinionated political foes will dig into your past, grab MySpace/Facebook postings/photos, they will look into the past of your loved ones, etc.. Anything negative will be out for the whole world to see.

This could cause added stress to the family unit, or within the extended family realm. As such, a happy marriage could easily be totally destroyed by a media blitz and focus on one spouse. This could also change a person, causing them personal stress they originally thought they could handle. Things could get even worse, causing one or both parties to start doing things no one would ever think they were capable of. When emotions run high, people may change their behavior. There are always good cops who seem to be OK for 10 years on the job, then all of a sudden something happens in their life (either on the job or off), and the next thing you know they are the news for doing something that wasn't right. Even with non-cops, we always see the neighbors and friends saying "I can't believe so and so would be capable of that!" Never under estimate how humans can respond to certain stimuli. Then ask yourself if you and your family would be able to cope with the onslaught of the national press and certain people out there looking to destroy your character, your family's character, etc.

I do not OC. I do understand, however, that one goal of some of those who do is to change what you describe as the response we should expect. It IS uncommon to see someone not in a uniform open-carrying; on this point there is no argument. The point that is argued is that because it is uncommon, it should become forbidden/off-limits. That is, if only a few do it, then none should or should be allowed to. Let's take a different tack on that one, shall we? Few people today practice the Amish lifestyle, so none should. No?

OK, how about this one: Few people get elected to national office, and even fewer do so honestly, so none should ever be honest if they're allowed to run for national office.

Yeah, that's done great for us so far. To re-state (and update) the old joke, George Washington could not tell a lie, Barry Hussein can't tell the truth, and Nancy Pelosi can't tell the difference.

From what I understand of the goal of some Open-Carry proponents, when you take something uncommon and you make it more common, it becomes less newsworthy and less odd/strange. There are no(or at least very, very few) breaking news stories about adults buying beer, for example, or to quote the movie "Sixth Sense": "They don't have meetings about rainbows."

Blessings,
    Bill

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    It is really sad for the kids.

And it is very interesting how the media is reporting this.

If I wasn't a member of INGO, I'd have no idea that her husband was a LEO. And, my first read of the news coverage left me unsure of who killed who.

No matter, this is going to be fodder for the Brady Bunch and the other gun grabbers. And, the media will be there to help them along the whole way.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    does it seem suspicious to anyone else, that the hearings were postponed because the judge was in a car accident, and then a muder suicide? seems to me like the guys at brady might have a little blood on their hands on this one.
    My thought as well... sounds like too much of a coincidence. If that is the case, I doubt it was the Brady bunch, more likely somebody the officer hired, and it shouldn't be too hard to cover that up if your officers are going to be the first on scene either.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    <snip>
    ...Then ask yourself if you and your family would be able to cope with the onslaught of the national press and certain people out there looking to destroy your character, your family's character, etc.

To do what I feel is right?

Absolutely.

I owe nothing less than what those who have secured and maintained our freedom and liberties have given throughout history.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    It is really sad for the kids.

And it is very interesting how the media is reporting this.

If I wasn't a member of INGO, I'd have no idea that her husband was a LEO. And, my first read of the news coverage left me unsure of who killed who.

No matter, this is going to be fodder for the Brady Bunch and the other gun grabbers. And, the media will be there to help them along the whole way.

Agreed. The spin on the story leave you wondering who was the perp in the shooting.
    The Brady arguments lose a lot of credibility if they advocate taking handguns away from the victim and a police officer commits the crime.

This would be only local news had she concealed at the soccer field and let the sheep blissfully graze. Sad story and sadly making waves for the law abiding CCW holder.

The Brady lawer quote is assinine. Where better to carry than near a field full of children that includes your own?! Could you imagine going in unarmed and someone assults the children?! Wait for the cops, watch your child die? No thanks.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    wow, that's pretty tough to read through... :n00b:

Agreed. This post rips my heart out:
    Meleanie...I am so sorry. You asked me for my lawyers name and I got busy and forgot to send it to you. Now all I have on my mind is that I got out and you didn't. Please God, help her children cope and please help women of domestic violence get out. Domestic Violence is Real. Meleanie I am sorry I let you down. I hope you can forgive me.
    There are so many posts about people having private conversations with her and stuff she'd reveal about her husband...
    It stuns.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    This is beyond tragic. Having lived in PA for a year (and visiting all the time from friends to family) I followed this womans plight closely.

The media spinning it and attempting to smear this womans good name is appalling.

I'll be saying a prayer for her children tonight.

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Gawd.... Just caught wind of this (and posted a dupe, since I didn't see it on Page One). Prayers for the kids left behind -- and dope-slaps for the Brady morons who'll conveniently ignore who's the perp and who's the victim, in order to advance their own agenda.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    On the PA message board one member states that there are reports she was going to get a PA version of a protection order. Well, unless a judge ruled otherwise, that order may have prevented him from having a firearm. As such, his job, more over his career, as an armed LEO would be over. Wonder if this is what pushed him over the edge?

slottech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    N.W. IN
    I didn't see this thread and I posted the article I found on Comcast.net news. That is just nuts. Can't wait to find out more details. Lots missing in story.

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    To murder your significant other=horrendous beyond words can express. To murder your significant other and commit suicide while your children are in the house perhaps witnessing the event and are most probably scarred for the rest of their lives=me speachless and dumbfounded. People get so caught up in their own selfishness they don't think of how their actions effect the people they love or anyone around them. This will undoubtably be used against gun carriers,it just adds fuel to the anti gun fire.

Top Bottom