• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Now its my fault I got robbed. Im done whinning as some say. To some of you thanks!
    to the rest of you. I hope your next

It's not your fault, but I'd wager that had you been more protective of your property, you might still have your firearms. Having a single gun stolen, is one thing, having seven walk out your door is quite another.
    And I would never wish, anybody be the victim of anything. :noway:

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    Tuesday night I got robbed. Three pistols and four rifles. What stinks is I get to look at the theif everyday. He lives across the street. Some of the people that I work with made calls to friend and so forth. My neighbor and one of his friends bragging about it. The investigating officer was at my house Tuesday till 5 am and got off at 6 am. Then he was off duty till friday. That's 2 days to get rid of or hide my guns. I told him about what I found out and he suggested I work out a meeting with the theifs with what some of my workers found out. Is that my job or his?
    similiar situation happened to me in IL, they said the same thing

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Forkliftdave:

Sorry you were robbed. Some of the responses here baffle me. It's like telling a female rape victim they "were asking for it" WTF is wrong with people and their BS thinking?

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Forkliftdave, this is a little off topic, but if you've got insurance, don't forget about looking into what you have to do to make a claim, report a theft, etc. There might be time limits, and you don't want to overlook any of that.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    1) Not everyone can afford a gun safe.
    2) The type of people such those that stole Dave's guns have nothing
    better to do than sit around and watch people like Dave to see if he
    has something they want to steal.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    It's not your fault, but I'd wager that had you been more protective of your property, you might still have your firearms. Having a single gun stolen, is one thing, having seven walk out your door is quite another.

Kutnupe, I understand what you mean but it still comes across a little bit like what BO says below.....

Forkliftdave:

Sorry you were robbed. Some of the responses here baffle me. It's like telling a female rape victim they "were asking for it" WTF is wrong with people and their BS thinking?

Kind of this ^^ While it's important to store your firearms safely, I'm sure even the former and current LEO will agree that very little can stop a determined and experienced thief.

Sure you could have a 10,000$ safe room that's virtually impenetrable but that's not a reasonable expectation to require of someone to before they are considered "responsible" gun owners.

I think many of us forget that most gun owners aren't enthusiasts. I know because my wife reminds me of this every other day or so.:D

Forkliftdave, this is a little off topic, but if you've got insurance, don't forget about looking into what you have to do to make a claim, report a theft, etc. There might be time limits, and you don't want to overlook any of that.

^^ This ^^ I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Tuesday night I got robbed. Three pistols and four rifles. What stinks is I get to look at the theif everyday. He lives across the street. Some of the people that I work with made calls to friend and so forth. My neighbor and one of his friends bragging about it. The investigating officer was at my house Tuesday till 5 am and got off at 6 am. Then he was off duty till friday. That's 2 days to get rid of or hide my guns. I told him about what I found out and he suggested I work out a meeting with the theifs with what some of my workers found out. Is that my job or his?

I would have called a couple of Friends and we would have No-Knocked their House and took my Gear back...
    He did say for you to work it out with your Neighbors...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    That is akin to telling a Rape Victim the reason you raped is cause you asked for it dressing that way...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    A good way to get killed. They do, afterall, have several firearms and quite a bit of ammunition.

Ya and I am sure that they could handle a No-Knock by 2 stacks of Persons trained by the Military to do just that as well... :popcorn:

Not everybody on here fits into the sheep, sheepdog molds.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You calling me a sheep?
    Not necessarily, I was actually using it as a jab towards the Rule that several tend to live by. You know the Sheep, Sheepdog, And Wolf crap. But if you think you have more of a Herd type mentality, who am I to disagree with you...
    Who says that Dave & friends are trained?
    I also offered my opinion on what my actions would be in a Situation were I felt that an LEO said to work it out with those suspected of Stealing from me.
    What happens legally after you take the law into your own hands?
    Apparently not much. I mean from appearances is looks like the Neighbors have been stealing stuff for a while...

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I would have called a couple of Friends and we would have No-Knocked their House and took my Gear back...
    He did say for you to work it out with your Neighbors...

.. and committed several felony offenses in the process of doing so.

Terrible advice.

Talk to the police officer involved first, then go to county prosecutor or a federal prosecutor. Theft of firearms is a federal offense as I recall.

Terry

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I happen to personally know a Madison Police Officer, so I may be a bit slanted, but, most LEOs do get involved in that line of work to help. I don't know what people expect LEOs to do when there is little to no evidence other than a finger being pointed. There is a reason our legal system works the way it does, and it has worked well for 200+ years.

As far as the responding officer knows, you sold the guns bc you were low on money and now you're reporting them stolen. Furthermore, as far as he knows, you are pointing the finger at your neighbors bc you know their finger prints are in your house bc, wait for it, THEY ARE YOUR NEIGHBORS!

Just remember that LEOs see this stuff all the time and they see it go both ways. LEOs have to work within the laws they are given. If there is no evidence and you KNOW it was him, I'd say it is time to do some research and recovery of your own.

ruger44srh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would expect the police would at least question the people accused of stealing the guns. I know the small town police have a lot of the same problems that the IMPD has, but it's still hard to deal with when it happens to you.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I happen to personally know a Madison Police Officer, so I may be a bit slanted, but, most LEOs do get involved in that line of work to help. I don't know what people expect LEOs to do when there is little to no evidence other than a finger being pointed.

I know what I would expect them to do, simply walk across the street and ask if they saw anything. Maybe he just got a legitimate lead, maybe it's a concocted hypothesis. At the very least, it’s 10 minutes of his time that demonstrates he is listening and is committed to trying to determine what happened. I don’t think the original poster has suggested that the PO go kick the door down, he’s simply asking that they take an interested in the info provided.

I’ll call it like I see it…. an Officer who was an hour away from 2 days off, and apparently left (mentally)for those 2 days off well before his shift ended. :twocents:

Top Bottom