• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this at. :dunno:

I've set my mind on my 1st handgun & rifle.

I'm thinking of purchasing the Ruger 77/44 (I really wanted the Ruger GSR; But it's in .308- so it's no good for hunting) and getting me a Springfield XD 9mm 5" tactical hand gun.

My questions are:

How likely am I to find both of these at the gun show?
    Do gun stores that sell second hand (used) guns, offer warranty with them?
    Around how much would i save if i buy them at a gun show Vs. a gun store?

thx!

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    First off not all gun shows will have the exact same guns at all the shows. Second off you should actually go to a gun store and see what they have or maybe you can call them first. It would be nice for you to support the gun shows so they will still exist. You just never know what you will find at one. :dunno:
    Glad to see you are getting involved and getting your first. Enjoy the hunt.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    1) chances are decent on the long gun. Really good on the handgun.
    2) Usually they are "as is" with what ever manufactures warranty is still in place. But stores set their own policies. So check with the one you are dealing with.
    3) gun show vs gun store savings: Vendor pricing is usually the same at the show as it is in their store. But you can see if one vendors sells it cheaper than your regular store.

Birdstrike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    You can go nuts looking for a specific model gun at a show. Best to call around and find one at a gun shop. You definately want to know what is worth before you shop, lots of people pay too much because they don't know any better. 308 is a great hunting rifle.

jeep911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    ive started to stray away from buying guns in stores from the less than quality experience i had when i bought my couch gun. guns shows tend to have almost anything one could want and they tend to be at a good price.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I usually start with a trip to all the local gun shops to see if any have one in stock or if they can get it and at what price. If there happens to be a local gun show soon then I may wait on buying and stop by the show to look around first. You never know what you may find at the show and at what price. This way I already know what local shop has one or can get one and at what price so I can compare with anything I find at the show. If I can't find it at the show then I know where to go when I leave the show. If there is not a show for a few months then I don't wait for the show and I go through a LGS. Good luck with your search! :ingo:

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    You can go nuts looking for a specific model gun at a show. Best to call around and find one at a gun shop. You definately want to know what is worth before you shop, lots of people pay too much because they don't know any better. 308 is a great hunting rifle.

308 is not legal to hunt deer in the state of Indiana

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I usually start with a trip to all the local gun shops to see if any have one in stock or if they can get it and at what price. If there happens to be a local gun show soon then I may wait on buying and stop by the show to look around first. You never know what you may find at the show and at what price. This way I already know what local shop has one or can get one and at what price so I can compare with anything I find at the show. If I can't find it at the show then I know where to go when I leave the show. If there is not a show for a few months then I don't wait for the show and I go through a LGS. Good luck with your search! :ingo:

I was thinking of doing the same thing. I know the gun show is next month. I was thinking of visiting the LGS and seeing if they had both in stock, check their prices, then going to the gun show and see if I found one and at a cheaper, if not similar price. If i find it at a similar price, I'll just purchase it at the gun store (giving that the sales tax doesn't cost me my arm) :spend:

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    You can go nuts looking for a specific model gun at a show. Best to call around and find one at a gun shop.

...not to mention racking up 50 bucks in entrance and parking from the shows.

That said, I love going to gun shows, so you enjoy the thrill of the hunt go for it. Make sure you know rough prices beforehand, regardless of what the item you're after.

draben

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Can you please elaborate on that :dunno:

So anyone who sells their handgun at a gun show, they have to charge me sales tax? :n00b: :dunno:

I think what he means is the vendor is required to submit sales tax to the state based on the sale. Whether he charges you an add-on for that is a different story, but I imagine any savvy buisinessowner will figure that into the sale price, whether it's "added" at the end of the sale or not.

An unlicensed vendor selling a gun doesn't have to charge sales tax, but as the purchaser you are required to submit the taxes to the state at the end of the year. It's called a "use tax".

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    No, there are dealers at gun shows and "private collectors" at gun shows. Dealers have to do paperwork and collect tax just like a store. Private individuals, not so much.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I didn't know that. Thanks. Maybe I won't get that .308 I've had my eye on.

From what i've read on the forums (this forum and others), only certain calibers are allowed (for rifles). here: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf

But people are saying the law might change and will allow for a much larger caliber to hunt deer with. When that happens, i might trade or get me the Ruger GSR. :rockwoot:

But for now, I'm going with the 77/44 since they say .44 is good for deer, elk, bear, large animals.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I like going to gun shows just to look around. Locally these consist of many the same private collectors with over priced junk. The Indy show has a lot of vendors who also have store fronts. So the 1500 is a good place to visit a lot of stores in one day. My experiences are that prices are not really any better.

Top Bottom