• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    You're surprised? I bet most of us would be shocked to find out how many ffl's oppose private sales because it denies them business.

Yup. People forget that at all times we are both economic consumers and producers. As consumers, we want the maximum possible competition to drive prices as low as possible.

But as producers, we'd prefer to have no competition at all. Your ability to command a high wage is largely a part of how many other people can do what you do, and how important it is.

Can't really blame a business for rent-seeking, as that's human nature.

Just as they can't blame me for adding them to the "*ell freezes over before I shop there" list.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd buy more defensive ammo locally if they carried something other than crap and carried an adequate stock of it. As it is, all I usually buy locally is FMJ.

In many cases it's the fault of the LGSes themselves for not carrying ammunition in which I'm interested. (Oh, and charging TWICE the amount for which I can get it online.)

These brick and mortar places kill me. There's nothing to stop them from getting online and expanding their business, but many don't. They just complain about how the Internet is stealing their business. Well, I've got news for the brick and mortar folks, the days of brick and mortar ONLY businesses are numbered (except in a few sectors) - hybrid businesses, brick and mortar with an online component will become the norm.

Their business model must change. Free markets benefit everyone.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'd buy more defensive ammo locally if they carried something other than crap and carried an adequate stock of it. As it is, all I usually buy locally is FMJ.

In many cases it's the fault of the LGSes themselves for not carrying ammunition in which I'm interested. (Oh, and charging TWICE the amount for which I can get it online.)

These brick and mortar places kill me. There's nothing to stop them from getting online and expanding their business, but many don't. They just complain about how the Internet is stealing their business. Well, I've got news for the brick and mortar folks, the days of brick and mortar ONLY businesses are numbered (except in a few sectors) - hybrid businesses, brick and mortar with an online component will become the norm.

Their business model must change. Free markets benefit everyone.

But what will the buggy whip makers do for work?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I wonder if this gun store owner ate at Chick-fil-a yesterday to stand up for freedom of speech.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    And can we all agree that most gun store owners are "conservative"?

We all need to drop the statism bs.

I have very little ammo in my store. When people ask why I explain to them that we have Bass Pro Shop, Wal Mart, Rural King, and Orion close by. They can sell ammo at a lower price than I can and I do not want somebody to buy from me out of loyalty when they can get the ammo elsewhere cheaper.

I carry almost no new guns and when people ask me to order a gun for them I send them to Bud's or any other online retailer that deals in such volume that they can offer a better price than I ever could. I then do the transfer for them.

I am very Conservative and the day I begin to worry more about making money and fearing that a potential dollar may leave my store will be the day I close the shop.

I do try to have surplus ammo due to the freaky large amount of obscure old military rifles I have in the shop. Hell, I have even got a box of 8mm Japanese Nambu Pistol Ammo but only because Wal Mart doesn't.

I see every transfer as a potential sale at some point. I have stuff the other gun shops don't and who knows??? That guy getting his Glock shipped here from Bud's may notice that 1876 Martini Henry like he saw when he was a kid in the movie "Zulu" and just have to have it.

Believe it or not but it happens.

The internet isn't "killing" my business. Many of the weapons I have sell for $100-$200 more than I am asking in the shop when I list them on gunbroker. I made a vow that every weapon will stay in here for two weeks before going to gunbroker to give my regulars a chance to purchase it. They know the routine and if they are interested I put the weapon aside for them so they can save some money.

My business plan when I opened was to not do anything a gun shop had done to to me that pissed me off when I was on the other side of the counter. I live by that code every day.

I just wanted to drop my 2 cents in to this conversation. Plus I want Hornandy to come visit my shop next Memorial Day weekend. I missed out getting him to visit this year.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    No argument.

I remember what Bill Bridgewater of the NASGD and what he called FFLs without store fronts.

The purpose of the law is to seek economic rent.

Just ask yourself how many ffl's would still be in business of we could mail order machine guns. It's amazing how many people support the government putting barriers to entry in place once they get established.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I have very little ammo in my store. When people ask why I explain to them that we have Bass Pro Shop, Wal Mart, Rural King, and Orion close by. They can sell ammo at a lower price than I can and I do not want somebody to buy from me out of loyalty when they can get the ammo elsewhere cheaper.

I carry almost no new guns and when people ask me to order a gun for them I send them to Bud's or any other online retailer that deals in such volume that they can offer a better price than I ever could. I then do the transfer for them.

I am very Conservative and the day I begin to worry more about making money and fearing that a potential dollar may leave my store will be the day I close the shop.

I do try to have surplus ammo due to the freaky large amount of obscure old military rifles I have in the shop. Hell, I have even got a box of 8mm Japanese Nambu Pistol Ammo but only because Wal Mart doesn't.

I see every transfer as a potential sale at some point. I have stuff the other gun shops don't and who knows??? That guy getting his Glock shipped here from Bud's may notice that 1876 Martini Henry like he saw when he was a kid in the movie "Zulu" and just have to have it.

The internet isn't "killing" my business. Many of the weapons I have sell for $100-$200 more than I am asking in the shop when I list them on gunbroker. I made a vow that every weapon will stay in here for two weeks before going to gunbroker to give my regulars a chance to purchase it. They know the routine and if they are interested I put the weapon aside for them so they can save some money.

My business plan when I opened was to not do anything a gun shop had done to to me that pissed me off when I was on the other side of the counter. I live by that code every day.

I just wanted to drop my 2 cents in to this conversation. Plus I want Hornandy to come visit my shop next Memorial Day weekend. I missed out getting him to visit this year.

Where is your store? It sounds like you understand capitalism.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    If there are no online ammo sales, I guess I can just forget about anything special, like subsonic 9mm.
    Because that's sure not available at a local shop.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Here's the active facebook page. Tactical Firearms | Facebook

Read some of the comments on posts and it's disgusting. I'm assuming Sarah is his wife.

Tactical Firearms They edited the statement I made earlier that said if you give them an inch they will take a mile. Lately we have been forced to choose the lesser of evils with policy and elected officials and wanted to make some points.
    Wednesday at 2:46pm via mobile

Sarah N Jeremy Alcede If this passes is it really the worst thing in the world? Hardly. If you don't want to be on a report don't buy more than 1000 rounds in a 5 day period. Just like many of you won't buy 2 or more handguns in 5 days. At this stage it isn't worded that ammo will be restricted, just that large purchases be reported. Also that ammo must be purchased at a brick and mortar store just like firearms, which I am not totally opposed to. Think about it, if you are not able to legally purchase a firearm there are ways of getting One through a third party, on the streets, black market- call it what you want. Purchasing ammo online makes it easier for these guys to load those weapons and cause harm. Maybe if ammo sales are restricted to real store fronts it may cut down on some of that action. Guns are useless without bullets.
    Wednesday at 3:58pm via mobile

Tactical Firearms Sarah we deal with the government and understand but the normal joe hears the word ban and restrict and go crazy. I for one just want the government to leave us alone but like I said earlier this is better than them taking our guns. I don't know if there is a right choice or answer that will make everyone happy?
    Wednesday at 4:10pm via mobile

If he's going to try to walk back his comments, he should at least try to delete those on the page where he supports the ban. LOL

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Just ask yourself how many ffl's would still be in business of we could mail order machine guns. It's amazing how many people support the government putting barriers to entry in place once they get established.

I'm sure there are plenty of machine gun owners who would oppose repealing all machine gun regulations.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I'm sure there are plenty of machine gun owners who would oppose repealing all machine gun regulations.

Oh, of course, simply because that's their investment. I have talked with one mg owner that had $10k in his ar to make it legally automatic. He made a solid point that the guys who own original thompsans , BAR's and really anything dated wouldn't lose value. Look at what some 1918 m1911 a1's bring.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County

This is why I love this guy's shop!

Where is your store? It sounds like you understand capitalism.

His shop is Falls City Firearms, 141 E. Maple Court - Suite 100, Clarksville, IN 47129. Its like no other gun shop I know of...

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    like subsonic 9mm. Because that's sure not available at a local shop.
    Sorry, your to far South, we always carry subsonic 9mm.

I would loose a lot of money, but I would be very happy to do so!

Brick and Mortar stores can compete with on line sales of Ammo, we monitor on line prices and calculate sales tax a customer would pay to us and freight they would pay to an online store. Sure, the margins are not the best, but a brick and mortar store can compete just fine. There are a few calibers we have difficulty competing with, those we choose not to, but for about 95% of the calibers we can. Sometimes we do find prices we can't compete with, but for the majority of time the on line stores does not have those items in stock.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Why not open an ffl just for transfers? 25 bucks a pop for some papers and no gun inventory or huge amounts of required space...

Pretty sure there are similar ffl's to this around that may not re-apply if any internet sales ban goes through.

Also, there are still ways around it like displaying inventory online and call in orders only. Silly politicians.

Top Bottom