Gun Store Manners, what causes you to lose sales.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    LGS sales folks and others could take lesson's from WW Grainger counter guys.
    NO BS, no socializing, prompt to the point pleasant interaction. When they are finished with you, they immediately move on. Very efficient at what they do.

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    I went in to a gun shop recently and wanted to buy a specific gun, but since it was our first gun and not a gun for self-defense (one of the reasons we were purchasing) they didn't seem to want to sell it to me. Got the run around on the phone as well. So I guess I will just have to buy it somewhere else, and my husband has a ready-made birthday or Christmas gift ;)

Were the sales people just trying to be helpful in pointing us in a different direction, or stupid in not selling me what I wanted? Or a little of both?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I went in to a gun shop recently and wanted to buy a specific gun, but since it was our first gun and not a gun for self-defense (one of the reasons we were purchasing) they didn't seem to want to sell it to me. Got the run around on the phone as well. So I guess I will just have to buy it somewhere else, and my husband has a ready-made birthday or Christmas gift ;)

Were the sales people just trying to be helpful in pointing us in a different direction, or stupid in not selling me what I wanted? Or a little of both?

Maybe a little of both. One job of a salesperson is to help a customer get what they need. Sometimes the customer knows what they need, sometimes they don't have any idea, but "heard from a friend" or "saw an ad" that made them think they needed a particular item.

Sometimes, when a customer says they want a specific item, a salesperson has to decipher when that is what the customer THINKS they "need" (and might be wrong), or if the customer just WANTS that item.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Maybe a little of both. One job of a salesperson is to help a customer get what they need. Sometimes the customer knows what they need, sometimes they don't have any idea, but "heard from a friend" or "saw an ad" that made them think they needed a particular item.

Sometimes, when a customer says they want a specific item, a salesperson has to decipher when that is what the customer THINKS they "need" (and might be wrong), or if the customer just WANTS that item.

I agree with this. Part of being a good salesperson and making a "good" sale is to help a customer get what they want. Since a good salesperson will be more knowledgeable about their products than the general masses, they owe it to the customer to provide some options or at least some food for thought.

Ex. A long time ago I went to buy a Chevy Monza. After I told the sales guy how I wanted it optioned out, he mentioned that I could get a pretty nice Camaro for that kind of money and a V-8 to boot. I am so glad that sales guy offered me that option. I was much happier owning that Camaro than I would have been with the Monza.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Sometime you get steered towards something they have in stock with a higher profit margin for the owner or a piece that has sat for a long time and needs to move. Car salesman do this same thing.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I was in a certain gun shop, the salespeople were all busy, but I waited my turn as they had the gun i was looking for. After about 10 minutes a few other people had come in, but I had made it clear to the people on the other side I was waiting. Finally 2 people left and the sales people immediately went to the college kid and his 'blonde" girl, BOTH OF THEM. I politely waited another 5 minutes while the owner bullsh*tted with another guy over the cost of ammo and what not. Finally I simply asked if I would be waited on to which the owner replied "when its your turn sir". I can't repeat what I told him, but I walked out the doors and won't ever go back. I know many others feel the same way as I do. Don't expect them to be here much longer.

So I drive the 30 minutes or 45 minutes to reach the other guys and avoid that place like the plague.

My first experience there should have been my clue, as I waited in there 20-30 minutes without so much as a bit of help, with 2 sales people just shooting the bull in the back. Not a good way to keep customers.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    All of this above is why i am happy that i can walk into my LGS and get greeted by name and don't have to ask to see something usually because the owner is already pulling cool toys out to show me. He knows i may not buy that day, just wants me to handle a cool new weapon or piece of history.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    All of this above is why i am happy that i can walk into my LGS and get greeted by name and don't have to ask to see something usually because the owner is already pulling cool toys out to show me. He knows i may not buy that day, just wants me to handle a cool new weapon or piece of history.

About the same here. The LGS knows that I dont buy probably half the time, but they know I am always putting money down in there. I know if they are busy, and im just wasting time, i let them do their job. If Im there to do something though, i let them know as well, and tell them when they arent busy, they can get back to me. It should all be about respect, on both sides.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    About the same here. The LGS knows that I dont buy probably half the time, but they know I am always putting money down in there. I know if they are busy, and im just wasting time, i let them do their job. If Im there to do something though, i let them know as well, and tell them when they arent busy, they can get back to me. It should all be about respect, on both sides.

I will get calls from my main LGS when something comes in they know I will like. Even if I do not buy it they love to torture me.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I will get calls from my main LGS when something comes in they know I will like. Even if I do not buy it they love to torture me.

hmm, maybe I need to go there. Mine keeps a Sig 1911 Tactical on the wall. I think its to taunt me, cause I look at it everytime I go, and debate on putting it on lay away too. Already have two weapons (1903 rifle and a .22 1911 pistol) on lay away, so I dont really really need a third.

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    How about the other side of the coin? What do you think of a customer who is being helped by a sales clerk and the customer answers his cell phone and begins a protracted conversation. Is the sales clerk obligated to stay with that customer or move on to other customers or duties?

If the conversation lasts longer than "i'm being helped in the gun shop, i'll call you back" then the sales clerk should move on. When i walk into a store of any kind i expect to be treated respectfully and the sales people should expect no less from me in return.

If the call is important enough that you have to take it right at that moment, you shouldn't be upset about waiting a little longer to be helped again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    hmm, maybe I need to go there. Mine keeps a Sig 1911 Tactical on the wall. I think its to taunt me, cause I look at it everytime I go, and debate on putting it on lay away too. Already have two weapons (1903 rifle and a .22 1911 pistol) on lay away, so I dont really really need a third.

Lets review....Need....want....let me start again please....Need...want....

I got nothing, sorry.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    Second topic, selling guns to parents for their children. It is hard to do that without the child in the store. I have a number of parents who bring their kids in and buy them a gun that fits them. This is the right thing to do. I also have a few parents who come in, buy a rifle for their son, and their son has never even seen, let alone held the rifle. This is not the optimal situation.

This may be a stupid question, but how is it legal to sell a person a gun when they say it's for their kid, but not if they say it's for their wife? I mean, I understand the law states that it's illegal to sell a firearm to someone with the knowledge that it is being purchased for someone else, but how then is it ok to sell one to a parent, when they say it's for their child?

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    When I go into my LGS, I am on a mission. I know what I want, and make it quick. I absolutely hate it when I go into by a gun and some idiot is tying up the sales help. Talking about how he wants to get a 1911 someday, or how he just wants to fondle a Desert Eagle, or discuss why Glock is better than everything. They have no intention of buying anything at all.

End rant.

The 1 percent of the time I do go in just to look, I will make it clear that I'm just browsing so they can help customers that actually need it!

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This may be a stupid question, but how is it legal to sell a person a gun when they say it's for their kid, but not if they say it's for their wife? I mean, I understand the law states that it's illegal to sell a firearm to someone with the knowledge that it is being purchased for someone else, but how then is it ok to sell one to a parent, when they say it's for their child?

I have bought several for my kids/grand kids. Technically you own the gun and they just use it.
    When I bought a .22 Cricket the LGS owner knew my big butt was not using it myself. It was made for a child to learn on. Although I have shot it some. OK, a lot but I am just saying.......:D

Last edited:

JC PAINT WORKZ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thats one reason I like Elmore's. I go there semi often and my wife tags along. She likes to browse too and hell she gets more questions answered then I do lol. Thats one thing I like is that no question is a stupid question when I shop there. They would rather educate you and perhaps make a sale then leave you blinded on the situation and not know what you even looking at.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It is actually legal to buy a firearm for someone, i.e. spouse as a gift...happens every Christmas. It is illegal to buy a firearm for a prohibited person (excepting dependent minors). It is all spelled out on the ATF website.

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    Sometime you get steered towards something they have in stock with a higher profit margin for the owner or a piece that has sat for a long time and needs to move. Car salesman do this same thing.

Well the gun I "wanted" because it was a nice looking gun, and fun to shoot was twice the price of one of the guns he ended up selling me instead, but it was also not in stock but on an "allocated" status. We ended up buying three guns accessories and ammo that day anyway, but I still want the elusive gun sometime soon!

Top Bottom