• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have quite a few long guns now and was wondering how everyone is storing theirs -

Safes? Hard/Soft Cases?

Also, I'd like to find a couple good soft cases to transport to and from the range. I'd like the case to be able to hold 2 long guns (if possible).

Any advice? Links? Pictures?

Thanks!

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I have a couple of Stack-On Pistol & Ammo cases Bolted to the walls in my closet.

rapidalarm_1999_15630814
    I purchased them for ~ $25 each at Gander Mountain.

I also purchased a range bag for $19 at Gander Mountain that came with two soft pistol rugs.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    Storage, mine is locked in its soft case and hidden in my condo. I'd like to put a safe in, but mounting it properly would probably forgo the return of my security deposit when I move out. I'll probably look into one of these: GunVault GV5900 - DELIVERED for Sale at Buds Gun Shop It would hold everything I'm looking to buy in the immediate future and so long as I could get the thing secured, it'd be perfect.

I use a soft case for my AR. Whatever you do, spend the money for a halfway decent one. I got an Allen case for $20 from MidwayUSA and after using it for 2 - 2.5 months, the flap came off one magazine pouch and is about 90-95% off of another pouch. I'd say get a Plano 2-Gun hard case. (second one down on this page) Most soft cases look as though they're just made for 1 gun but I know one guy who puts his 2 AR's in a soft case. I'm looking at buying something like a Maxpedition or Blackhawk "Homland Security Discreet Gun Case" to replace that cheapo Allen one.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I have a couple of Stack-On Pistol & Ammo cases Bolted to the walls in my closet.

rapidalarm_1999_15630814
    I purchased them for ~ $25 each at Gander Mountain.

I also purchased a range bag for $19 at Gander Mountain that came with two soft pistol rugs.

But what he means is that he stores the two long guns he has in a soft bag on top of the two pistol safes that are side by side.

We're in the market for better storage for the rifles as well.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    But what he means is that he stores the two long guns he has in a soft bag on top of the two pistol safes that are side by side.

We're in the market for better storage for the rifles as well.

Pami,
    We men are soooo lucky to have our spouses available to translate for us. What would we do without you???? (read with dripping scarcasm):wavey:

lovemywoods

p.s. Contrats on reaching the lofty goal of the 1000 post club!

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I completely missed that "Long Guns" portion of the OP :)

Actually, I've been seriously considering an Inside the wall Rifle safe. They are 16" wide to fit between the wall studs. You can use a large number of screws to secure them.

I was thinking behind one of the doors inside/near the master bedroom would be a good location. Out of sight, yet secure and easy(ish) to get to.

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    I had a wooden gun rack from when I was in high school. It was filled and started stacking in corners like most people did in the past. Finally broke down and got a safe. Stack on Total Defense Select.

Stack-On | Total Defense Safes

Have one soft gun rug, one soft paded gun case, but use the hard plastic gun cases with the foam mostly to transport long guns. Can get two long guns in a case as long as they are not scoped or are an AR.
    :twocents:

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I have this "safe" Stack-On | Gun Cabinets

It's bolted to the floor. I admit it's not vary theft proof and not for everyone but I have it mostly to keep my kids out. You can't beat the price for kid proofing. I figure if somebody really wants my stuff they are taking it one way or the other..

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    As of currently posting, all my long guns (6) are in a locked cabinet with the handguns (3, since the downsize) locked below. We are seeking a fire safe type vault to store them in, as well.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I had a wooden gun rack from when I was in high school. It was filled and started stacking in corners like most people did in the past. Finally broke down and got a safe. Stack on Total Defense Select.

Stack-On | Total Defense Safes

Have one soft gun rug, one soft paded gun case, but use the hard plastic gun cases with the foam mostly to transport long guns. Can get two long guns in a case as long as they are not scoped or are an AR.
    :twocents:
    I have the same safe, but the 36 gun unit. I like it.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Just remember:
    Humidity and moisture are your enemy when it comes to gun storage. On a humid day, the padding in a soft side, or open hard side case will quickly reach the same dampness level by absorbing moisture out of the surrounding air. When you close the case, you now have this damp material pressing tight up against your most treasured possession. Some of the soft side cases will breath enough to dry out as the surrounding humidity level drops, but the hard side traps the moisture in, where it plays nasty games with your gun.
    If you just thought, "no problem I'll just oil em up good first" :nono: you may be in for a supprise in six months. Oil floats on water, so as soon as that moisture condenses on the metal, it just floats the oil up out of its way, then starts jack hammering away at the steel. Anything with silicone in it is even worse, as silicone quickly evaporates leaving the metal naked.

Safes have similar problems, but for some reason, people seem to be more aware of them, since cases usually are thought of as transport protection or short term storage, and safes for long term securement.

Just my :twocents:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    As I start to build a long gun collection, I've discovered I need a bigger safe as well. I wish they weren't so freaking expensive! Maybe I need to go the multiple-small-safe route.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just remember:
    Humidity and moisture are your enemy when it comes to gun storage. On a humid day, the padding in a soft side, or open hard side case will quickly reach the same dampness level by absorbing moisture out of the surrounding air. When you close the case, you now have this damp material pressing tight up against your most treasured possession. Some of the soft side cases will breath enough to dry out as the surrounding humidity level drops, but the hard side traps the moisture in, where it plays nasty games with your gun.
    If you just thought, "no problem I'll just oil em up good first" :nono: you may be in for a supprise in six months. Oil floats on water, so as soon as that moisture condenses on the metal, it just floats the oil up out of its way, then starts jack hammering away at the steel. Anything with silicone in it is even worse, as silicone quickly evaporates leaving the metal naked.

Safes have similar problems, but for some reason, people seem to be more aware of them, since cases usually are thought of as transport protection or short term storage, and safes for long term securement.

Just my :twocents:
    I can confirm this, the hard way. Soft and hard cases should be used for transporting only, otherwise you will be disappointed. Also, don't be mistaken, thinking that stainless steel won't rust.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I can confirm this, the hard way. Soft and hard cases should be used for transporting only, otherwise you will be disappointed. Also, don't be mistaken, thinking that stainless steel won't rust.

So if you're using a soft case as it is the only current option, how can you prevent rust?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So if you're using a soft case as it is the only current option, how can you prevent rust?
    If you have to keep it in the soft case, take it out and wipe down at least every two weeks. My problem was "I need to" and "I'll get around to." Some sort of automated reminder would be good, like your Outlook calendar. If possible, I would opt for open in a closet with a gun lock of some sort.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana

A couple of old socks filled with scilica (sp) gel which you can buy at most craft stores will help a bit as it attracts the moisture. We have two of the big Stack On fire proof safes and one is nothing but guns, one is guns and my jewelry. I put the gel filled socks in both and we have NO problems. My sterling jewelry doesn't even tarnish which means they are doing a good job. They were a little expensive but as hard as they were to get in I don't see anyone getting them out of the area where we put them.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    A couple of old socks filled with scilica (sp) gel which you can buy at most craft stores will help a bit as it attracts the moisture. We have two of the big Stack On fire proof safes and one is nothing but guns, one is guns and my jewelry. I put the gel filled socks in both and we have NO problems. My sterling jewelry doesn't even tarnish which means they are doing a good job. They were a little expensive but as hard as they were to get in I don't see anyone getting them out of the area where we put them.
    I bought Silica cat litter and made my own as well. You can use pantyhose, but I chose to use some of the 'socks' that some stores have in their shoe departments.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Those goldenrods or dessiccant packs in your safe are fine if you only have plastic guns, but older wood stocks can crack if you're going after 0% humidity.

My safes are in the basement with a dehumidifier set at about 50%.

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    As I start to build a long gun collection, I've discovered I need a bigger safe as well. I wish they weren't so freaking expensive! Maybe I need to go the multiple-small-safe route.

That's what I did.For the everyday access I use a keyed Brinks, 12 gun with 2 pistol shelves and 1 inch locking bolts I bought at Menards.The other is a Sentry 16 gun combination safe that is taller that I use for the older more valuable ones that I own.It would take more than a crowbar to get into these two.I also have a steel gun cabinet that I use for the selling/trading gunshow fodder.I just run a small diameter cable thru the triggers and use a lock on the cable ends.

hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    I have two large safes in a safe room in the garage, I keep DampRid in the safes,this has wooked will. I built this room for under $1300 it is fire proof.

Top Bottom