• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I dont consider myself a gun snob but I do have a little gun quirk that i'll talk about. I tend to think guys who put a synthetic stock on a nice bolt action rifle read to many tactical magazines. I want to tell them them that it wont make them anymore accurate. I bite my tongue because they read in a magazine how much better they are, and it must be true. Heck, while im thinking about it, people who only own semi-auto firearms get under my skin also! If you just want to throw lead fast, just toss your ammo out of your car while driving down the street. Quit wasting space at the range! Wow, that turned into a mini rant- These are just afew opinions, Heck, I mihgt be a gun snob!

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Why buy a Lexus when a Honda will do the same thing?
    Why buy a Rolex when a Timex will do the same thing?
    Etc.....etc...

Have you ever read an issue of the knife magazine BLADE? There are knives in there that run into the tens of thousands of dollars!!!! Some people see them as works of art, while others see them as a waste of money.

If people want to purchase something they believe has value, it's their money.:dunno:
    If you want to label it snobbery, so be it.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i personally dont look down on any gun until its given me the run around. i certainly have preferences though, and if i can afford a gun i prefer, why not? if i could swing the payments on a lambo, i would drive one.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    umm...those colors are not tactical. you cant see me, but im sneering at it.

How about this one?

208549231_3a16e14441.jpg

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My little brother joined a club up in michigan and shot in competitions against guys with $1000+ kimbers and won regularly with his $300 Ruger P90.

That's one way to eliminate the snobbery.

But my brother is a snob himself when it comes to my prefered caliber: 9mm parabellum.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I'm not a snob, I just don't like junk. This is a firearm, something that could ultimately save your life. I'll pass on anything that doesn't feel well put together or that has questionable reliability.

Edit: The pic with the nerf gun was classic.

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    As others have said, guns are many things... tools, works of art, fun shooters or just something that floods you with memories. It depends on what you want it to be. As an auto tech, I have boxes and boxes of Snap-On tools that I make a living with but in those boxes, there are still some Craftsman tools... it depends on what I need it for. If I am depending on a tool to help me make a living, it has to fit, feel and work dependably... I expect the same for the guns that I carry for protection. If I need a wrench that has to be ground down to fit a particular situation, I grind on a cheaper wrench... it gets the job done and fits the bill... the same for those guns that I have that I didn't spend a lot of money on and just plink with in the back yard. Tossing an expensive wrench in the toolbox of the tractor when odds are it will get lost in the field makes no sense to me nor does taking a gun that, in my eyes, is a beautiful example of metallic artwork and tossing it in the console of the truck. It is there if I absolutely have to use it but hopefully, I will have a better 'tool' with me when needed. To assume that one gun has to fit all roles is as silly as marrying a supermodel because your house needs cleaning

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    In a word: yes. Would you believe that some gun owners are snobs based on how a gun "looks" ?

Amazing. Like a bunch of teenage girls.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nothing wrong with a Hi-Point 995. You can run 1000's of rounds without any problem, abd they have a lifetime warranty to boot. A lot of guys who look down on Hi-Point's also think $75 Mosins are great. And they don't look too bad with an aftermarket stock.

352809573.jpg

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    this is what divides us

A recent thread I read brought something to mind. Are there gun snobs? And if so, why?

Let me define what I mean before any discussion begins. A gun snob is someone who looks down upon either a certain brand or type of firearm and/or those who buy them. For example Hi-Point firearms due to their cheap price, fugly looks and so-so quality. Also, there are some that think only shotguns should be owned. Others think that anyone that owns a so-called "assault rifle" must be a terrorist.

Now I freely admit I do have a Hi-Point 995 9mm carbine and it is ugly and does not have the best quality but it was cheap and is fun to shoot. Let me also say I have an Springfield M1A, a Garand, a Golden Boy and other spendy long guns as well as quite a accumulation of Colt handguns.

Some folks don't like spending a lot on a gun. Some folks CAN'T spend a lot on a gun. Does this make them any less of a gunowner and open to ridicule and disdain by fellow gunowners? I most certainly think not.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw this out there to perhaps get some folks thinking about how they view some of their fellow gunowners.

BTW: I have been guilty of this myself. I used to think anyone that had a plastic gun was a sissy. I have since changed my view, though I personally still prefer single-stack metal guns.
    Great thread. When the shotgunners won't stand up for the "black gun"(assault rifles)owners, when the target shooters won't stand up for the"pocket pistols"(sat.night special), and the riflemen think they can do without handguns, we're sunk! We MUST all STAND TOGETHER, or live like the U.K. or Australia! Now there' a little kidding among ourselves about this or that. That's normal. But when gun snobbery goes too far, look out! btw, i saw a couple shoot a 9mm Hi Point better than SOME high dollarpistol owners shot their's. Rep'd for great thread.

Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Fine then, don't like the gun that is not your preference...but pairing that disdain with the owner is crap. I'm sure most of the gunsnobs won't respond to this thread since they don't want to be exposed for the closed minded people they are. I have no tolerance for this type of ignorance being that I have seen quite a few members on this site who are obviously snobs by their expressions left within this site. +1 for a great topic.

BTW..some may say its human nature to act this way..well some would also say so is murder, adultery, sickness, poverty...the truth is was can control our behavior and not lash out at others during moments of anger/rage, we can turn our eye to the sexy neighbor, we can alter the course of illness with man made interventions (antibiotics) and we have an abundance of food in this world to eradicate famine. This is not a Dem/Repub issue...its a human issue...so let's start being humane!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom