• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    A recent thread I read brought something to mind. Are there gun snobs? And if so, why?

Let me define what I mean before any discussion begins. A gun snob is someone who looks down upon either a certain brand or type of firearm and/or those who buy them. For example Hi-Point firearms due to their cheap price, fugly looks and so-so quality. Also, there are some that think only shotguns should be owned. Others think that anyone that owns a so-called "assault rifle" must be a terrorist.

Now I freely admit I do have a Hi-Point 995 9mm carbine and it is ugly and does not have the best quality but it was cheap and is fun to shoot. Let me also say I have an Springfield M1A, a Garand, a Golden Boy and other spendy long guns as well as quite a accumulation of Colt handguns.

Some folks don't like spending a lot on a gun. Some folks CAN'T spend a lot on a gun. Does this make them any less of a gunowner and open to ridicule and disdain by fellow gunowners? I most certainly think not.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw this out there to perhaps get some folks thinking about how they view some of their fellow gunowners.

BTW: I have been guilty of this myself. I used to think anyone that had a plastic gun was a sissy. I have since changed my view, though I personally still prefer single-stack metal guns.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    A recent thread I read brought something to mind. Are there gun snobs? And if so, why?

For example Hi-Point firearms due to their cheap price, fugly looks and so-so quality. Also, there are some that think only shotguns should be owned. Others think that anyone that owns a so-called "assault rifle" must be a terrorist.

Now I freely admit I do have a Hi-Point 995 9mm carbine and it is ugly and does not have the best quality but it was cheap and is fun to shoot. Let me also say I have an Springfield M1A, a Garand, a Golden Boy and other spendy long guns as well as quite a accumulation of Colt handguns.

that would cause me to look down on a gun. looks maybe not so much bc beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the so so quality part for sure.

i like guns that reflect me. extremely good looking and perfectly put together. basically the pinnacle of craftsmanship. a blending of beautiful form and outstanding function.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    If you feel happy with it ,,,COOL
    I don't care what kind anyone has ..
    True there are certain guns i would not trust my life to but that is just my personal belive .
    If someone ask me my opinion I will give it if they choose to not follow my opinion COOL ..
    Yes I do know people like you are talking about ..I jusy ignore there ignorance and let them rant ...:dunno::patriot:

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    While I have a number of guns that are fun to shoot, and more that I'd like to own that would be fun to shoot, I look at guns as tools. They are meant for one specific purpose. That said, guns have to be reliable and of good quality; period. If they are ugly, that's ok. An ugly tool that gets the job done is better than a pretty tool that fails on you.

Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    I agree that a firearm in general is a tool that in a time of need should not likely fail, that being said everyone has bought the harbor freight special screwdriver that the tip breaks and bends after use.
    Owning weapons that are sub-par on reliability but fun as hell to shoot is quite ok in my book, as long as they are used as intended"the range and back yard".
    And to the gun snobs, get off your tactical soap box.............:rolleyes:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Several types of "gun snobs"

I think there are several types of gun snobs. There are those who think you have to spend a lot of money on your guns or you have junk. There are those who think any gun which either is or isn't "tactical" is useless. There are those who think anybody who doesn't shoot the same "disicpline" they do are somehow misguided. I could go on but the deal is that people are that way about everything. If, just for example, you don't do what I do or believe what I believe you must be wrong. If you cross my path and get in my way, you are an idiot and it will never occur to me that you think exactly the same about me.

There are many different types of guns and shooters and who's to say what's right and wrong? Well, of course there is me and it's very simple. If you don't shoot varminters and modify 10/22s you are drifting aimlessly on the sea of gun ownership. :D And you guys with tactical stuff...:dunno:

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    i ll bet that some of the "snobs" out there have something hidden back in the gunsafe that embarass s them too (please excuse my spelling)

jerp239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    NE Indiana
    that would cause me to look down on a gun. looks maybe not so much bc beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the so so quality part for sure.

i like guns that reflect me. extremely good looking and perfectly put together. basically the pinnacle of craftsmanship. a blending of beautiful form and outstanding function.

:lol2:

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    im waiting for the all plastic handgun i can sneak through metal detectors. when that thing hits the market youll come back.

Here you go. I hear it has good range out to 50 feet.

supersoaker50.jpg

Top Bottom