• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gotink42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    Valparaiso IN
    How come 90% of the gun shop people are so up tight? I was in cabelas the other day [Hammond] and I stood there for 10 min. before any one would even help me I was there to buy a new AR but I thought screw this place. I would rather spend my money at Blythe's . But the guys at the Blythe's are just not very friendley.

zky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I don't think it has anything to do with gun shops necessarily...it's just people in general these days. Probably just not trusting others, and just not being as kind as the general population used to be. I'm not saying that there are not kind people in the world today, but I think few would argue that the general trend to to more selfishness, and less friendly people in general.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Cabelas seems to get many complaints about not enough staffing at the gun counter or the staff there not at least checking to see if you need anything. I have read alot about it and experienced it myself. Never been to Blythes, but 90 percent of the gun shops employees are great.

robbran144

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    southside/greenwood
    i was at that cabelas last monday hovering over the gun counter and not one guy,(there were 5 of them behind the counter) asked if i needed any help. love the centerpiece in there though

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    fire employees and hire people who want to work for their pay too many obama minded people these days....i shop where price may not always be best but service is friendly and enthusiastic

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    I feel ya. I was at Gander Mountain the other day and when someone finally came to help, they were rude as could be and I walked out. The people at Bradis have always been very helpful and a joy to work with!!

BurninBrass

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    between a couple cornfields
    Not making excuses for poor customer service, but you need to also examine the customers/potential buyers. I have a close friend that used to work the gun counter of the local Gander Mountain. He tells horror stories about how 98% of the people want to handle every gun, be as rude as possible, and have no intentions of opening their wallets. I've even heard the story many times about a guy that was looking at a Vaquero and spun it around on their finger and then pointed it back at my friend and said "bang".

Local gunshops, on the other hand, seem to attract a more respectful customer. That equates to better service.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I was at MC Sports in Bloomington about a week ago and the lady that often works at the gun counter stood there talking to a friend of hers about everything under the sky EXCEPT for her job. I was wondering through the hunting and shooting supplies and saw a minimum of 5 people get totally ignored as if they were not even there for 15-20 minutes while I was there and who knows how long before that. When she did fianlly get around to helping someone after her friend left she had a real b**chy attitude about it. Up until then I had always had great encounters at mc sports with Andrew but she has me wondering if I will bother going back.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I always wonder how some people keep their jobs with such an attitude.

Because most of us are more inclined to just leave instead of complaining to a supervisor. I will say that I agree with what was said above about the shoppers/buyers. More people looking and wanting to handle guns (or anything for that matter) than want to actually buy.

gotink42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    Valparaiso IN
    Well the thing that made me mad I was ready to drop 1500 on a new AR. Ill just have to give my money to one of the nicer people at the indy 1500 show next week.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I know the OPer is in valpo. but down in Indy I had the most pleasant gun shop experience ever. I had been meaning to go to Plainfield shooters supply for some time since I moved to Indy, Finally did this weekend. Even with multiple customers in the shop they made sure to ask if I had any questions or wanted to see anything, which as previously stated is uncommon for someone in their 20's.
    Had a long talk with one of the guys about 1911s and ended up walking out with a duo-tone taurus 1911 (a gun Ive wanted for sometime now, and my first 1911). Everyone there was pleasant and seemed knowledgeable. I will certainly be doing business there in the future. And the prices kick the hell out of Blythes. From what I saw the prices there pretty much matched or beat any price on Budsgunshop.com, and you dont have to pay the shipping and transfer fee. Check them out next time youre in Indy, you wont be disappointed

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    The people at Bradis have always been very helpful and a joy to work with!!

Just had to agree. I've been going to Bradis for years (through my mid 20's) and the men and women have been unreal helpful.

Overall I'm sick of gun shops. It's a miracle 90% of them are in business. I literally have never been in a firearm store that could make a new to the industry person feel comfortable. I've got a collection of business cards and websites that I stick with these days.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Just had to agree. I've been going to Bradis for years (through my mid 20's) and the men and women have been unreal helpful.

Overall I'm sick of gun shops. It's a miracle 90% of them are in business. I literally have never been in a firearm store that could make a new to the industry person feel comfortable. I've got a collection of business cards and websites that I stick with these days.
    Im surprised by that statement. I have been in some really bad shops that will not give a person the time of day unless they are a regular, but most of the ones ive been in are at least somewhat helpful. I've even seen the God-awful Don's Guns people helping out an elderly lady pick out an extremely overpriced J-frame, but atleast they were helping her.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Im surprised by that statement. I have been in some really bad shops that will not give a person the time of day unless they are a regular, but most of the ones ive been in are at least somewhat helpful. I've even seen the God-awful Don's Guns people helping out an elderly lady pick out an extremely overpriced J-frame, but atleast they were helping her.

Best "new guy to guns" experience I had was at Pops. Never bought anything but the old fella was more than willing to help and talk guns. The guys at KS&E when not busy are pretty helpful. There is a small amish owned gun shop in ohio that my cousin and uncle frequent. It's become what the local barber shop used to be, a place you can go and just relax and chat, wish more businesses especially gun shops were like this!

Eiffelman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I believe that a complaint to higher management will oftentimes lead to better and prompt service. Good companies and outfits want to hear how their employees are doing...or failing to do.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom