Gun shop sign on door says unload now!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    After being at the Indy 1500 when a vendor had a ND, I can understand. I thought a table had fallen over flat, but sure enough he had shot his hand. Would have been something else had someone else been hit.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Insurance thing I believe.

I don't unload before I go in, UNLESS I know I'll be trying on holsters, accesories, etc.
    Unless the gun is going to be unholstered I doubt it's an issue. The day somebody in a gun shop asks me to unholster only to verify the gun is unloaded is the day I walk out and do not come back in regardless of whether it was loaded or not.

After being at the Indy 1500 when a vendor had a ND, I can understand. I thought a table had fallen over flat, but sure enough he had shot his hand. Would have been something else had someone else been hit.
    Thankfully they were the only one hit and it wasn't life-threatening.

Last edited:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I personally don't worry about it. Keep the dang thing in it's holster where it belongs and it shouldn't be an issue. If you even think you might be needing to remove it from the holster while inside--s.a. to be looked at for whatever reason--then unload before you go in. It just seems like common sense to me. I have yet to have a LGS ask me to step outside to unload.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    MC Sports doesn't have that sign........I've bought many more guns from them than that other place.

True, Their sign actually stipulates that their store policy recognizes a persons right to carry and welcomes it.

It states something to the effect of: "All firearms and bows coming in for trade in or repair must be checked in at the customer service counter, this does not apply to firearms being carried for personal defense as per state law"

I have a picture of the sign on my phone I will have to get it uploaded one of these days.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Unfortunately "common sense" isn't always as common as it's made out to be. :(

Can you elaborate? I would presume he wasn't shot through a holster that was attached to a person?
    He had a customer pull a LOADED gun from a holster, and point it at just about EVERYONE in the store....

mainbreak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Elwood
    Gander Mountain has a sign out stating that you can carry a loaded weapon but anything coming in to trade or worked on must be unloaded and checked.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Pretty funny that Gander has a "better" sign than many gun shops!

Mine stays loaded and holstered. Never been an issue. It would be nice if there was a designated place to make it safe, for the rare times I would need to unload after arriving at the store.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    We did have a clearing barrel in the foyer for awhile, but nobody used it... :dunno:

Don't sweat it those barrels can only go so far, i've posted the picture before of the sign behind a clearing barrel at one of the Ft. Benning ranges with multiple 5.56 holes in it (the sign is the instructions).

BenningClearingBarrel.jpg

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Here is the one that MC Sports has posted. This is the way all signage should read, if a business is going to have one at all. IMO

picture.php

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm new to owning guns, wondering if you guys can help me out with this sand barrel thing... what are you guys talking about?

It's just a bucket/barrel full of sand. You point your firearm down at it while you unload. That way if you happen to have a ND, it's going to fire into the sand.

Just a safety precaution.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I tried unloading once before entering the shop but they didn't seem to appreciate the poop all over the parking lot. They asked me never to come back :dunno:

I mean, their store, their rules, but hey, they should provide a portajohn or something if they want me to unload before coming into the store.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I generally OC when I know a gun shop is on the list of stops I'm going to make, I'll walk right past the sign, for how many say it's just one tick in the box for the insurance company, and in IN there is no weight of law, and my personal belief is natural rights trump man made property rights. Nobody has had an issue with my carrying in store yet, if they did I'd leave not return and tell INGO.

When I take a gun I'm not carrying to get worked on, such as sights to the Glocks, I field strip it then bring it in, this way there is no doubt when I hand it over that it's empty, then I can put it back together to check that the alignment is close before heading out.

In the holster the guns are fine, out of the holster they'd better have a good reason for coming out. I don't hold anything against the guys behind the counter for how many times they get swept by people looking at the guns for sale, let alone the folks that want to come in then decide after the fact they want to show something off or have something added and end up sweeping a loaded gun around the room.

One of the last times I was at the LGS, I was looking at an LC9, I was curious if it was really a pocket nine or if it was just supposed to be a slim 9, I had a very clear request to ask to place it in my front pocket, got approval to try it, then before it came back out, I verbally made it very clear I was taking the unloaded display gun from my pocket, then the first step after it came out was showing clear. Salesman shows clear, and hands me a gun, I show clear before I look at it and keep it in a safe direction at all times. Close quarters, and lots of guns, even lots of people that know guns are not a time for complacency but increased focus on care. When I took the Glock Armorers class there were about 30 of us in a classroom, shoulder to should all with a gun in hand manipulating it most of the day, not once did anyone sacrifice the 4 rules. The more we adhere to them and show proper handling as a community, the fewer NDs we have and the less the media comes down on "evil gun owners"

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I generally OC when I know a gun shop is on the list of stops I'm going to make, I'll walk right past the sign, for how many say it's just one tick in the box for the insurance company, and in IN there is no weight of law, and my personal belief is natural rights trump man made property rights. Nobody has had an issue with my carrying in store yet, if they did I'd leave not return and tell INGO.

Thread derailing...

Do you not realize that the right to possess property is part and parcel of those natural rights?

Top Bottom