Gun shop sign on door says unload now!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I hadn't made the connection before reading this (these) threads, but I've been routinely ignoring "No Weapons" signs ever since I found out that they don't carry weight of law - except at gun stores. It never occurred to me not to leave the carry piece in the car, though I've grumbled to myself about it a few times.

For me, I think the difference is respect. I don't respect the signs at AMC or Kroger because I assume they're inspired by knee-jerk, liberal ignorance. OTOH, I do respect the people that run the gun stores I frequent enough to comply with their wishes, on the assumption that they've made a truly-informed decision about their own property.

It's a lot like not carrying in someone's house if they ask you not to. I know many of you will say that you just wouldn't visit those friends, but I don't insist that my friends share every single one of my views. I may try to convince them otherwise, but I will ultimately respect their decision about their own house. Going around them and carrying concealed just because you can get away with it seems like ... urinating in the sink when nobody is looking - just rude. My favorite gun shops have earned that same level of respect from me.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Thread derailing...

Do you not realize that the right to possess property is part and parcel of those natural rights?
    Possession of property is separate from restricting the rights of others, and looking through history, multiple cultures, from early rome, and other non-centeralized cultures of the same time, to medieval Europe to the Native Americans to early settlers in the US, within and beyond the scope of western civilization pretty much every culture in the passed 6000 years (up and until about the last 100-70 years and much more so in the last 30ish years is when weapons control really ever showed up as a cultural norm) has acknowledged, even if passively, a right to access weaponry for sustenance hunting, and interpersonal battle. I even remomber a passage from my public school text book in grade school, explaining how it was long time normal to carry a musket to church for protection from wild life, and the tribes of people we offended by showing up. So weaponry has always been universal, many cultures, including Native American cultures, as well as cultures in Africa, have never acknowledged any wort of personal property right. This is not something that has been universally accepted. The concept of property, possession, money is not innate, it is all a man made construct; the right to life, and the ability to fight or flight are natural rights. Natural (God given, but in this day and age that's not as all encompassing) rights, Civil Rights and Man Made rights, while all rights, are all very different things.

And drawing this back to being dead on topic, I see an owner putting up or anyone enforcing those signs, or asking me to not carry in my home, as an attempt to remove my basic human right to protect myself, and I will not put myself in a position to allow them to do so, either leaving the business and not returning, or only seeing those "friends" in a setting over which they have zero say in my carrying (they need not agree with me, but if they do not respect me I will not waste my time with them).

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm perfectly fine with a store having that sign. I'll respect it and shop elsewhere. If they feel they must have a sign, one that respects the reason we carry would be my preference.

Please keep your gun in its holster or case.
    If it comes out, so do you.
    (Self-defense and/or a request from our staff excepted.)​

They have their rights. I have mine. Neither one has the right to override the other.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel

Thanks for all the input. There is a new shop in Noblesvilleand a big printed sign saying "unload now". I will ask him to clarifythe meaning of the sign. I am like most of you, if I can't carry I will shopelsewhere.

Top Bottom