• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I went to a local shop today needing some scope rings. I had previously went to an estate auction and depleted my funds so all I had was my credit card. I went to the counter to pay and the guy says "Don't you have any cash" I said no, the bank had closed. He then proceeds to say "You know, for every cc transaction I do it costs me 3%" I was polite but was thinking "I really don't care, just add the stupid 3% (a whole 38 cents) and I will be on my way" All this time the guy was acting like this was a huge ordeal. Then another smart a$$ customer said "You need to add that onto his bill" like it was any of his business anyway. I have been to this shop many times and bought alot of stuff from this guy. I have even sent other people there who have spent alot of money there as well. Now, I knew Wally World sold these rings and even a little cheaper but I like to give my business to the small business owner. After this though, I won't go there again. It may sound petty about a $10 transaction but in my opinion $10 is no different than $1000. That would be like a person coming into my business and wanting a small item and me saying "Thats not even worth me turning my computer on" $1 or $1000, it's all money in the bank. Sorry about the long rant but I had to get this off my chest!:xmad:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    what is the name of the store? jsut so we don't go there by mistake.

I had a similar thing at a gas station, and I told the guy to take my card or I"d go across the street...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    And according to his Merchant's Agreement, he can't charge extra for your credit card either, not that some places won't give a "cash" discount.

One of my vendors nickles and dimes me, things like taking 3 weeks to pay on his 30 days credit line but then still taking the 2% discount he gets if he pays within 10 days (with times according to postmark). I used to add it to his next invoice and would spend all sorts of time on the phone with him as he "disputed" it. I mean, come on, it was usually a couple bucks difference. He'd spend more on the phone charge to call and the time spent discussing it. I solved my hassle by increasing his prices by 5% and calling it a PITA charge (in our computers, not officially) and then just not saying anything about his slow pay. So he feels happy that he's gamed the system and saved himself money.:rolleyes:

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I went to a local shop today needing some scope rings. I had previously went to an estate auction and depleted my funds so all I had was my credit card. I went to the counter to pay and the guy says "Don't you have any cash" I said no, the bank had closed. He then proceeds to say "You know, for every cc transaction I do it costs me 3%" I was polite but was thinking "I really don't care, just add the stupid 3% (a whole 38 cents) and I will be on my way" All this time the guy was acting like this was a huge ordeal. Then another smart a$$ customer said "You need to add that onto his bill" like it was any of his business anyway. I have been to this shop many times and bought alot of stuff from this guy. I have even sent other people there who have spent alot of money there as well. Now, I knew Wally World sold these rings and even a little cheaper but I like to give my business to the small business owner. After this though, I won't go there again. It may sound petty about a $10 transaction but in my opinion $10 is no different than $1000. That would be like a person coming into my business and wanting a small item and me saying "Thats not even worth me turning my computer on" $1 or $1000, it's all money in the bank. Sorry about the long rant but I had to get this off my chest!:xmad:

If he doesn't like paying the fee, then he should stop taking credit cards.
    Or he could put up a sign like I've seen in a couple of businesses saying no CC transaction under a certain amount.
    Now that gun shop has lost any future sales to you cause you'll now go elsewhere. I agree with you 100%

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    It's all in the way they word it, if they have a sign that says, 3% charge on credit cards, that would be illegal, but if they have a sign that says, 3% discount for cash, then that would be legal.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Midwest charges an extra 3% for CC transaction. I don't blame them though. In general they have the smallest markups of anyone I've seen.

Actually Midwest Prices "reflect a 3% cash discount", which includes debit cards.

FWIW I bought my wife a sig p250 for valentines day and their debit card service was down. They didn't skip a beat in saying that it was down and they'd still honor the cash discount price even though they used my CC because the debit card issue was on their end.

They yet again reinforced why they are my favorite gun store.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Fenway is right. Visa and Mastercard make merchants sign an agreement that they won't charge extra to use the card nor are they allowed to set a minimum amount on transactions. I don't do business with places that do these practices. If you're in business that's part of the cost of doing business. If you feel like putting into the cost of business no problem. If that makes your costs higher than the other store guess where I shop.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I know the feeling. Back home in IL, I had a local (i.e. 2 miles from my house) FFL that I did 2 or 3 transfers through. One time he just came out and said, "You know, these things cost me money to do..." while taking his $25 transfer fee.

I didn't do another single transfer through him (roughly 10-12) because of his BS.

Best way is to vote with your dollars. Screw 'em.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I now...I feel the same when I see people selling in a forum and wanting that 3% extra for taking paypal but don't give a discount to pay for the money order you have to buy because they won't take a check.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    There's got to be a balance between managing the rising cost of business and keeping good customers. Most of the local shops that get major props on INGO do it by providing great service and good prices. You'll always have people that have a bad experience (just part of it) but really being successful in the long-run involves more than just generating profits. Remember, people that have a good experience will tell 3 or 4 of their friends. People that had a bad experience will tell everyone they humanly can!

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    There is a local gas station that used to be owned by this crotchety old fart. He would always add the 3% on store purchases and it never really bothered me. One day I had to pay the 3% and hear him whine about having to do the math. So the next day I pulled up to the pump and added two cents of gas ( I couldn't cycle the trigger any faster) then went inside and bought my usual "going to work" supplies. When he went to add the 3% I said "Oh I have some gas also" the look on his face was priceless. He knew that he couldn't add the 3% becuase he would then be overcharging for gas. Since the gas price is fixed by the display on the pump, this is a huge no no. I did that for five more years before we finally moved.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    My last purchase was from a mom and pop shop that did this. Wish I woulda known that it was a no-no ahead of time. Had to make a second 70 mile trip because I went there straight from work and don't carry that much cash on me...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Sure would be nice to know the name of the place. If you don't want to tell, you really shouldn't make a big deal of it. Granted the guy was a jerk, but if you want others to steer clear, we need names!

Top Bottom