• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IrishJer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    This may have been discussed on here already, but I'm curious as to whether you have your gun loaded with the safety off while sleeping? I keep my Beretta PX4 on my nightstand at night got to thinking how long it would take me to take the safety off and cock it after waking if I heard an intruder.

Whats everybody do???

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Loaded - Yes, of course.
    Safety - Well, I don't have a manual safety. Grip and trigger safeties, sure, but no manual. I just grab and go.

My opinion (for what it is worth): keep the gun in the same state, whether it is on your person or off. Then it is all muscle memory (you do practice, right?).

IrishJer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    Loaded - Yes, of course.
    Safety - Well, I don't have a manual safety. Grip and trigger safeties, sure, but no manual. I just grab and go.

My opinion (for what it is worth): keep the gun in the same state, whether it is on your person or off. Then it is all muscle memory (you do practice, right?).

I do practice, however, I'm a relatively new gun owner with this being my first gun. Thanks for the advice.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I use a .22 and don't keep a round chambered. I want the BG to hear the sound of the .22 racking a round, knowing that the .22 kills more people every year than any other cartridge, and run from my house in horror.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I do not have a safety on my gun, but maybe you should consider keeping it in the same condition you train and carry. I'm not familiar with your gun, but can you put it on safe without a round chambered? Even if you can, it seems like that's a step you can avoid.

One in the chamber, safety off (or no saety), and in the bedside holster, is my personal choice.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I do not have a safety on my nightstand gun (Ruger P95)

I like this because there will never be an accidental activation of the safety when I need the gun to work.

The rest of my guns are kept loaded with nothing in the chamber and of course safety off.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Loaded and one in the chamber, just like I carry it. Keep everything the same, as much as possible.

Mine does have a safety. I'm just funny like that, I guess. I likes to be different.:D I practice thumbing it as part of my draw, though. Like was said above, muscle memory.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I have a 1911 with a 10 round mag, a light on it, one in the pipe. Safety is on until the gun is pointed at the danger

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Glock, so no manual safety. In holster on night stand loaded and one in the tube. Remove from holster point at what needs shooting and squeeze.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Cocked and locked 1911A. Surefire light and spare mag on nightstand. Racking the slide in an event is a "Hollywood ".act. If the worst happens, no time to rack and go, or chamber check.
    My G19 also has a Streamlight TLR light, one rd in the tube, 15rd mag. (BUG, location near escape door).

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Kept IN the night stand, in a holster, safety on. Hopefully I don't wake up with the BG pointing my gun at my head.
    Dry fire Practice, practice, practice.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Of course. Usually a CZ 97B .45acp with one in the pipe, safety off and a ten round magazine. If it is too dark and we both miss I can use that steel beast to club him into submission.:laugh:

Top Bottom