• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    This may have been discussed on here already, but I'm curious as to whether you have your gun loaded with the safety off while sleeping? I keep my Beretta PX4 on my nightstand at night got to thinking how long it would take me to take the safety off and cock it after waking if I heard an intruder.

Whats everybody do???

Are there any children in the equation?

I keep a loaded gun in a pistol safe at night, for that reason. It's a tradeoff.

BTW it's a XD, so there is no safety to take off.

For your PX4, I agree with many of the other sentiments here. Do what you practice; practice what you do. I would decock at minimum.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    my edc has a very nice and easy to use thumb safety. i carry with it on, i shoot with it on. as pistol comes up, safety goes off, EVERY TIME. it stays on the nightstand with a round chambered and safety on. my bug has an extremely heavy trigger pull and a pain in the tail safety, so that one stays off, it sits on the computer desk, between the two is the 930spx loaded, chambered and safety on, again, shoot it every time with safety on. part of bringing it up to shoot is flipping that safety off, it has to get to the point where it is automatic if that is how you want to run it.

IrishJer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    Are there any children in the equation?

I keep a loaded gun in a pistol safe at night, for that reason. It's a tradeoff.

BTW it's a XD, so there is no safety to take off.

For your PX4, I agree with many of the other sentiments here. Do what you practice; practice what you do. I would decock at minimum.

No children, single, just new to the whole gun situation. Had a scare at my house once and want to make sure I'm protected. I've practiced quite a bit, but never kept the gun with the safety off or one in the chamber. I'm pretty sure, after all these respones, I'll be keeping one in the chamber decocked with the safety on (I prefer that as I can flip it off quickly). Therefore I can flip the safety off and use the double action trigger to fire the first round :cool:

Thanks for the advice fellas, its very much appreciated and could save my life some day!:yesway:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I keep my full size 1911 with one in the pipe, safety on and situated in a way that lets me see the night sights to grab the it quickly if you needed.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Loaded safety on one chambered. 92F. Lower shelf in the open.

Carry px4. Slightly smaller same caliber

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    No children.

S&W Mod 10-5 38 Spec Wheel Gun sits on the headboard. What's a safety?

Wife has a S&W 442 38 Spec Wheel Gun on her side. What's a safety?

XD9SC with one in the pipe. One step away in the closet. Grip/Trigger Safety.

Mossy 410 fully loaded--Winchester Elites--safety on. Leaning up against the wife's side.

Mossy 20 (pistol grip) fully loaded--#4--in the closet one step away. Safety on.

Oh, yeah... Bersa Thunder 40 Cal in closet, fully loaded with one in the tube. Safety on.

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    G23 with one in the pipe on top of gun safe in closet. Safe door slightly opened with: AR with 20 round mag inserted but no round chambered; Mossy 18" 12ga pump with 00 buck but not chambered. I wake up weird sometimes. If I can't get to the closet and get to the safe and know what I'm doing I have no business with a loaded gun close at hand. Our bedroom door is solid with a dead bolt locked at night. House alarm on.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    This may have been discussed on here already, but I'm curious as to whether you have your gun loaded with the safety off while sleeping? I keep my Beretta PX4 on my nightstand at night got to thinking how long it would take me to take the safety off and cock it after waking if I heard an intruder.

Whats everybody do???
    Yes its always loaded, and no safety. If you really need it, you wont have time to load it. "Hold on, scumbag that just broke into my house, while I load this thing". No, keep it loaded.

JimmyJames

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Just passin through
    I use a .22 and don't keep a round chambered. I want the BG to hear the sound of the .22 racking a round, knowing that the .22 kills more people every year than any other cartridge, and run from my house in horror.

More banging on the 22, yet every year when I hold my annual "Who wants to catch a 22?" event nobody shows up.

This year's event is coming up soon!

August 4 at Willow Slough!

Pick your time and send me a PM.

Note: This is a one round event and is free. If you want extra attempts to catch a 22 the fee will be $100 per round.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    G23 with one in the pipe on top of gun safe in closet. Safe door slightly opened with: AR with 20 round mag inserted but no round chambered; Mossy 18" 12ga pump with 00 buck but not chambered. I wake up weird sometimes. If I can't get to the closet and get to the safe and know what I'm doing I have no business with a loaded gun close at hand. Our bedroom door is solid with a dead bolt locked at night. House alarm on.

Same here plus my spouse comes home all hrs of the night. That's why I keep the safety on, mag in but no round chambered until I get my head straight.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    No safety on mine, but it always has a full mag plus one in the chamber (except when I clean it and forget to reload it). It stays in the holster at all times unless I need it. Always keep it condition 1 because you never know if you'll have that extra second.

Top Bottom